adjusting webbers | FerrariChat

adjusting webbers

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by dlpeworld, Sep 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dlpeworld

dlpeworld Rookie

Sep 12, 2004
    Just completed overhauls of the 4 webbers on my '79 308. Reset the adjustments to where they were pre-overhaul; car started up without much of a problem. Got out the old unisyn and now have the four breathing the same.

Now, need to adjust the mixture - idle and main jet. I noticed all the main jet screws were previously screwed in all the way to the seat - maybe done by the last guy who smogged the car, I dunno.

Can't find much about how to set the mixture on these things without a gas analyzer.

Anyone out there have experience, or know of a reference on the web somewhere?

2. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    the main jets are inside, part of the " e " tube, so assume you are asking about the idle mixture screws. mine are about 7 turns out, but i am not running a " stock" 308 set up. i may go with .060 ilde jets when i put on the new air cleaners ( not stock) and then i may be able to turn the screws in a few turns. please use the search feature and see the great post by BIRDMAN with lots of pics. i am sure his thread will help you as much as it did me. i am running .055 idle , 135 main and 200 air correctors. no cats , air pump and ansa exhaust. car runs great. best of luck to you. i just did my intake gaskets and carbs.

3. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Search for Jonathan's thread. It was well written with pictures as I recall.

Best results are with the mixture screws 2 - 3 turns out unless you have the euro screws (which have more of a taper). Adjust mixture for highest rpm (so rpm falls if you turn the screw in either direction). May need to adjust the air balance after you've set the A/F ratio at idle with the mixture screws.

Good luck.

4. atheyg

atheyg Guest

On the 12s you use a ColorTune to check the mixture, they are cheap also, I don't know how it would work on a 8 for the front bank though, maybe use a mirror or something.

You can check the other site f-talk as they have several write ups on using it and adj carbs.