From 355 to 246 Dino. | FerrariChat

From 355 to 246 Dino.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by chaa, Sep 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Has any one done this? Any regreats? For a long time now ever before i drove ferraris, i have always longed after one. I know some may see this as a step backwards but i dont. I do honestly think that some time soon i will be trading either my 355 spider or 93 Diablo for one,maybe a silver 72/3 model. Every time i see one i want one, for instance at the UKs Donington Ferrari show this weekend gone, i saw a beautiful silver one with gorgeous curves that inspired all ferraris that followed thereafter, my other half feals the same but unfortunately my sons think that dads lost the plot. Funny but i was there age when i first saw one driven by Tony Curtis in the TV serious the "Persuaders". To me modern is not neccessasary better,especially for the soul. I just feel this bloody itch! Has anyone done it?

2. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill
    Chaz,

I know exactly were your coming from and to be honest the only way to do it is to have one of each! Sure the ride will be a lot less comfortable than the 355, a lot less power as well, but you gain something that is hard to put into words. Take a 246 for a test drive and your heart will tell you straight away if it is right for you. All I can say is that hurtling down the motorway in a 246 produces more adrenaline for me than in a 355!!! (Give me a 365BB and its adrenaline overload :))

Paul

3. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Chaa go for it mate beautiful car.

4. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Chaa,
    I don't think that's a step backward at all. Vintage Ferrari is what established today's Ferrari. Granted, vintage cars will take more care & maybe more cost, you will enjoy what some calls "soul shaken" experience. 246 Dino is one of my favorite as looks-wise.

Just think you're changing your collection. If you didn't like it, you can always get a modern Ferrari again, right?

5. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I'd go for the Dino in a second! Besides being possibly the most beautiful car ever, you get the vintage, more visceral Ferrari experience lacking in the newer cars. Sure it's not as fast at a 355, but how often can you really drive over 100mph?

I'm completely biased since the two Ferraris in my family are from 1955 and 1968. Webers rule!

While we're at it, who prefers the Dino GT to the GTS? I prefer the continuation of the roof-line curve on the GT and the presence of the rear quarter window that the GTS doesn't have.

6. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    They are both beautiful, but if i had to choose i would go for the GT.

7. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    I agree, i do like the roof line of the GTs.I have driven many Dinos,There is one that i am tempted by, every time i go to my bosses mate who is a exotic dealer, he knows i want it and keeps giving me the keys. S**t i hate going to his home.

8. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Have you decided yet?

9. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Stop already!

10. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Go on you know you want to, plus the wife likes it.

11. Steve B

Steve B Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Naperville
    Full Name:
    Steven L. Biagini
    I am in the opposite position; last year I traded in my yellow Dino 246 GTS for a 1998 F355B. It was a tough decision because I loved the Dino but I already had one "older" Ferrari (a 365 BB) and I wanted one "newer" one. The 365 BB is so rare and mine is in such fantastic shape that I decided it was the keeper. The 355 is a great car with fantastic power, handling and looks, but, I still sometimes long for the sensuous experience of driving and looking at the Dino. Would I do it again if I could transport myself back in time? That's a tough call that I cannot answer. Anyway, you should drive a Dino and see if moves you. If so, I recommend getting one.

12. htran

htran Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Tracy(NoCa)/HB(SoCa)
    Full Name:
    P Quach
    Hi Chaa, on the 2nd pics-the red '74 Dino 246GTS sits between the silver and yellow one is mine. The pics was taken @ Concorso Italiano this year- last month. There were so many good samples of Dino this year, around 55-60 Dinos that were shown. Out of that, 20 or more were fully restored. Some I must say, look flawless- better than its was 30 years ago, when it rolled off the assemly line.
    Because the last 3-4 years, people took interest in restored Dino for show. The price have jumped on the average from $50-$60K range to $100K-$120K range, so therefore, they became trailer or garage queens.
    A few years back @CI, my red Dino won a few "gold" trophy-90 pts or higher, but not anymore! as mentioned above.
    As for buying one as a driver, make sure it's a well sorted car, preferably all restored car due to the fact it's more than 30 years old. Back then, owners use it as a daily driver and quality was an issue. Dino proned to rust- check wheel wells, door corners... so there are alot of bad one out there! and can cause you headache and alot of $$
    Because I live in CA, sunny 300 more days a year-I prefer a GTS, but the GT looks better-have contuinuos lines, no broken hood lines. The lines of the Dino from every angles looks gorgeous.
    The sound of the v-6 wails @ 5000+RPM every shift will put a silly grin on your face. The two bulging front fenders look out from the seats will make you feel like you're driving a true vintage F-cars.
    The only draw back driving the Dino is a engine will stall if you turn the corner hard with low fuel load- fuel starvation.
    I owned both 355 spider F-1 and the Dino, each cars have different characters. Depending on your mood, either drive a modern 355 that have faster acceleration with little work or row the gears, slower acceleration with alot of engine roar behind your ears. Henry

PS. Check the back issue of Forza magazine, Dino buying guides, not too long ago- very helpfull info.

13. htran

htran Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Tracy(NoCa)/HB(SoCa)
    Full Name:
    P Quach
    On the 3rd pics, the orange and the green " flairs and chairs" dinos- both won platinum, 95 pts or higher.

I have run-ins with the green "flairs and chairs" Dino 4 years ago. As I was in the market for a Dino, I saw this car @ Ferrari of Los Gatos. The status looked like a semi-barn find, I was in no mood of restoring any F-cars, buy and drive right away. I passed.

2 years later, saw this car again with its new owner @ CI. Car haven't been restored yet, just cleaned up. Dan and his wife are the new proud owner.

And this year @ CI, this green Dino was a Phoenix risen from its ashes!! OMG, I was astounded how beautiful the car was restored. If you read this thread, Congrats! Dan and Mary.

14. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    ok take this past weekend at a car show, our own dm_n_stuff showed up with his 246 and got to park it in the lot with all the other exotics. I saw more people look at his car than all the porsches, other Ferraris, and crouch rockets. Nothing can beat that car it is abosiloutley beautiful and everyone will admire it more than ur 355.

15. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    It is a big step forward. You have developed yourself to appreciate art form of automobile rather than the technology. It's like going from rock music to classical music... congratuation....

16. htran

htran Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Tracy(NoCa)/HB(SoCa)
    Full Name:
    P Quach
    To Patty Mac, as I noticed with any F-car shows, crowds tend to draw toward the vintage and/or super exotics cars. Newer models-355,360,550 and 456 cars look like neglected orphans- maybe 20 yrs later?

17. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    I've driven one Dino (thanks Henry) and i'm still smiling. It's very different than the 355, but man is it a blast. The noise, and the view over the hood is priceless. It's one of my all time favorites!

It would be nice to have one of each. I guess it depends on how you drive your car. I like long roadtrips from time to time, so the Dino wasn't the best choice for me, but hopefully...one day....I can have both.

Good luck, you can't go wrong either way in my opinion. But the 246 is one of the most beautiful Ferraris .

18. Forzaholics Anonymous

Forzaholics Anonymous Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2004
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mike B
    I've thought about it. Right now I'm looking at everything from a 246 Dino to a Boxer to a 355 Spyder to a Countach or Diablo as my next toy. I get more of a thrill properly driving an old slow car versus having to insanely break the law in order to get the same feeling driving a newer more powerful car. I remember when you couldn't give the 246 away. They were rotting in used car lots for 15K here in So Cal. It irritates me to no end that I didn't get one then.

19. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Charlie

I suspect a Dino will give more pleasure more of the time, but I suspect it will be a more difficult car to keep in top condition. A different sort of pleasure to the 355 though...

Why not give it a go- you can always get another 355/360 if you don't get on...

Robert.