Large 308 Front Spoilers ... Damage Prone? | FerrariChat

Large 308 Front Spoilers ... Damage Prone?

Discussion in '308/328' started by dave80gtsi, Sep 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    I have a 308 which has the smaller front spoiler, and I have always admired the appearance of the larger optional "cow catcher" front spoiler for these cars. However, before I make the plunge to swap mine for a larger one, I'd first like to hear some feedback from other owners of 308's who already have these larger spoilers. How vulnerable are these to damage due to impact upon curbs and the like? Are they low enough that one has to swerve to avoid even the tiniest bumps in the road? Or, instead, is there sufficient ground clearance such that potential damage due to normal curbs and the like is not an issue? Does the larger front spoiler actually improve cooling air flow thru the radiator, and is it really effective at keeping the nose of the car pinned to the ground at speed ... or is it basically just a nice looking decoration?

Thanks and Cheers - DM / Ohio

2. spang308

spang308 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2004
    York, PA
    Unless you're very careful, you can plan on fixing and repainting a euro spoiler every other year. It will hit the tarmac going over a dip and if you overshoot the approach to the local deli and whack a parking block, it's toast.
    That said, I have one on my '84 GTB QV and I wouldn't have it any other way. Looks awesome and certainly has an effect on keeping the nose planted at speed. Mine's cracked right now but I've been having too much fun driving it lately. Fix and repaint over the winter I suppose.

John

3. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I have a GTO spoiler on mine and can tell you 3 things.

1st it looks way cool.
    2nd it collects a lot of stone chips.
    3rd groundhogs do not fit under it....

4. LP400S

LP400S Formula 3

May 18, 2002
    West Coast
    No problems with mine during about 10 years ownership of the car. Looks much better with it and I believe it does pull in more air for better cooling. Of course I take it easy on steep driveways etc..

5. fastaone

fastaone Karting

Jan 9, 2004
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Peter F
    Well said spang.....But i DOES HURT when you hear grinding got it fix 2 time already this year but I still love it.
    Peter

6. LP400S

LP400S Formula 3

May 18, 2002
    West Coast
  7. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    The Euro also helps aerodynamically (if you drive to the point where it helps). Sure it scrapes now and then, so what. It is fiberglass and easily fixable. Stone chips and the like, so what??? It simply means you are using the car as Enzo and G-d intended :)

8. spang308

spang308 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2004
    York, PA
    Peter,
    Trust me I can relate. That grind is enough to make you/me cringe, but man do they look good.

SteveM,
    That picture tells the story.....
    'nuf said!
    Beautiful car!

John

9. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Dave
    I had the "cow catcher". Great looks, but always being banged around at the track/taking the car off the trailer etc. I had it repaired in a fairly major way, but when I nailed it in a fairly big way last time I did some more research. QV told me they use the shallow spoiler at the track for this reason. $1500 later a shorter one was on the car and painted. This isn't something I want to do more than once.
    Philip

10. theredkite

theredkite Rookie

Aug 6, 2004
    Bucks, England
    Full Name:
    Mike C
    My experience: never had a problem with the deep spoiler on the road, even going over some pretty hefty bumps. But going around a car park for example no matter how slow I went sometimes it caught. A horrible noise but when I looked at it couldn't see any damage done. So I reckon go for it. (Although I am talking about UK roads - maybe there are deeper potholes Stateside...?)

11. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I have one on my 84 308 and I never have liked it. After 7 years, the last straw came 2 weeks ago at a hotel. I have a US version on the paint shop now and will be putting it on next week.

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Lots of swapping has been done over the years...to each his own...

A EURO spoiler would be correct for a EURO car, IMO...but there's been so many changed, it's not a big deal.

I like the shorter one better, to my eye, so the cars I've purchased have that one.....and a front nerf bar as well.

13. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    17 years with a Euro deep spoiler. Yes it will rub on driveway aprons if you don't pay attention to how you approach them. Are they more damage prone? I don't think so, its the driver who would be more damage prone.

They DO however starve the front brakes of cooling air IMO. I had to build my own ducting to keep the pads from fading at the track.

Good luck with your decision,

Andy