Price for Major Service **SHOCKER** | FerrariChat

Price for Major Service **SHOCKER**

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by tfrancis, Sep 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tfrancis

tfrancis Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    I got the shock of my life when I asked Ferrari Houston what a major service for a 328 cost. They told me $8,900... OUCH!!! Norwood quoted $4,100... better but still high. I thought the going price was about $2,500 to $3,000. What have you guys seen for pricing?

2. eric lipper

eric lipper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    I think 2K to 3K is right. Use Eric at Eurocar in Bellaire -- he's the man. My 328 is there right now with an a/c issue.

3. LP400S

LP400S Formula 3

May 18, 2002
    West Coast
    Sounds very high unless you need extra work.

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Thats crazy. 3k maybe 4 if a water pump is needed, and all hoses are done with gates green stripe.

5. Cenzzo

Cenzzo Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    I just had one done at Ferrari SF, and it was $4000 for just belt service and valve job, etc. But with labor at $150/hr and 19 hrs just for that, you can see where it comes from. The actual parts required were about $400 or so. And they do pretty much have to disassemble the back of the car to do it. Other stuff, like flushing brake fluid, changing oil, and "checks for tightness, etc." don't need to be done at $150/hr.
    As far as A/C, you can take that anywhere. It's basically the same system they use in Porsches, with a York compressor. I had the whole thing done for about $400. And, it needed a new receiver dryer, which if you must, is about $500 for the Ferrari unit, but $40 for the VW unit, which for some reason looked identical. Your call.
    They also checked the coolent system, too - $59.
    Recent clutch job, also, was about $2400, just F.Y.I. And, records for my car showed that it was exactly half that ten years ago - parts and labor had nearly doubled.
    $8900 sounds stratospheric, though . . .

6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Don't pay more then 3-4K for a 328. You may want to call F of H back and remind them that the engine STAYS IN for a major service on a 328.

7. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    $8,900??? Would make a comment about them smoking crack cocaine, but that might be liable so will say it is SIGNIFICANTLY too high a price.

i paid less than that for a major PLUS MANY MANY MANY upgrades/updates/bearings fine-tooth comb service.

8. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    $8900 does sound high but one must be sure that everything is being compared equally. A major service by the book is not equal to a belt service, which is a long way off from belts and valve adjust with cam seals.......
    Cams seals alone add 5+hrs. Would be interesting to see how close the list of labor functions compares.
    Dave

9. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

sounds to me like FoH dsnt really want the job.

10. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    i just did the major on my 308 gtsi valve adjust all hoses, rebult water pump , cam seals timing belts + bearings parts $ 600 if you do the woork you can save .

11. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    A MAJOR service on a 308/328 should never cost this much. Never, ever, ever. TR's, 348's, etc. require the engine out for various proceedures. Not so on a 328 and that's the beauty of the 308 series and why they're good "starter" Ferraris. A lot less labor.

12. fazzaz1

fazzaz1 Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Sam Scott
    Take it to Lindsay Automotive in New Orleans.Good work, good people. PM me if you want more info.

13. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    The 328 has a Parker dryer which can be bought at Autozone for $59. Which VW part # are you refering too?

14. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    You wouldn't be the first guy to bring his car over to Huntsville from the Memphis area for service! Do you know Jose Ferrer? He brought his 308QV to my guy here for his major after he'd gotten a quote similar to yours, and told me he couldn't be happier and saved thousands. Feel free to PM or email me if you're interested.

15. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    You should move to England......
    Annual service for my Testa.........500 quid around 800 to 900 bucks
    3 year full cambelt jobby 1500 quid around 24 to 2700 bucks

16. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Agreed, servicing in England is VASTLY cheaper than here in the USA!

17. spang308

spang308 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2004
    York, PA
    DITTO. Just did cam seals, valve adjustment, T-belts, tensioner bearings, distributor gaskets, cam cover gaskets, new large bearing water pump, new hoses, new fluids, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, AND new rear wheel bearings. Total cost in parts was about $700.00 including the 5 cans of brake clean I used to spray down the back side of the engine to remove all the oil my rear exhaust cam seal had leaked all over the place!! Quite a few hours of labor involved to do the job correctly, but I completely enjoyed the job and am sure it's done correctly and for about 10% of what you were quoted.

John
    P.S. If anyone out there is willing to pay $8900 for a 30K on a 308 or 328, let me know. I'll open up shop and crank out three a week while laughing my way to retirement. Just a thought ;-).

18. tfrancis

tfrancis Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    Well I called a few other places....

Ferrari of Atlanta = $5,500
    Foreign Cars Italia = $5,300
    Continental (chicago) = $ 7,000 to $8,000

I ask Continental "why so high?" and they responded by saying that some shops don't do as extensive a major service as they do. Therefore, they spend more money in parts and labor for a major.

Shouldn't all Ferrari Dealers give the same service for what is defined as a major service? As an owner I want to be ensured that the car is properly maintained. If the dealerships aren't even consistant then the documentation of service doesn't mean squat!

19. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Hmm, whats the round-trip cost to ship a car to/from England... Maybe that's a way to save $$.

Actually, KTR here in MA has very competetive prices. They did Steven's major + many add'l items for less than some of these places are quotign for the major!

20. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Good points here. I'd like to see a list of what's included, where if they'll provide it.

21. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    You need to compare what you get for the $. Agreed $8900 is very high, but I do know that FOH take the engine out, and what you get back is a pristine engine bay with everything else in the same condition. Even the 'crackling' paint is resprayed and the ancillary parts checked out for bearings brushes etc etc. It's much more than belts, seals and valves. You could of course ask for a quote with just these being attended to ..i.e. no engine out. And of course time is $.

Regards,

Pete

22. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I payed around 8k for a major, clutch, and a leaky manifold.

23. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy

24. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom

25. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    A good shop can't win for losing on this one. If they quote around $4K and they get into the car and it needs an additional $3K worth of parts and labor, they are branded as shumcks. If they quote on the high side (Which may be smart), they may lose business but have more satisfied customers when they leave their shop with an extra $2K in their pocket.

I think that the dealers and independants alike should have a base rate for a 30K service that includes 'X' items (Big-O does it on their brake jobs) and additional items needed will be extra.