Car Storage Bubbles | FerrariChat

Car Storage Bubbles

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by TheCarcierge, Sep 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheCarcierge

TheCarcierge Formula 3

Feb 1, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott Saidel
    I have the opportuinity to act as the importer for a new variation on the car storage bubble theme. The big difference, is that this bubble had a steel frame that supports the bubble. This allows the user to open the front "flap" and drive in and out, rather than having to unfurl and wait for the bubble to inflate. It also keeps the bubble off the vehicle if there is a power outage.

I thought that I would plumb the depths of the FerrariChat world, for opinions regarding marketability, before I committed.

You can see pictures and get more information on the manufacturer's website -

http://www.hamiltonclassic.co.uk/ProductInformation/CairOPort.htm

I look forward to your opinions.

Feel free to email privately, if you wish

[email protected]

Thanks, in advance for your time and opinions.

Scottie

2. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Is this "air tight"? I have a battery tender plugged into the ceiling outlet. It drops along the garage door rails to the floor and goes under the car cover. Would this be an issue? I noticed the other bubble company had a plug for a trickle charger.....

3. TheCarcierge

TheCarcierge Formula 3

Feb 1, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott Saidel
    It is not "air tight." in fact, part of the concept is that the air flows through the chamber - preventing the build up of condensation (a real issue in Florida where a fairly hot car, is suddenly "dropped" into a cool garage). The air flows from the bottom rear of the chamber and exits through the zippers and a small opening in the upper front of the chamber. There are several places where the power cord for the trickle charger could be fed through and you could even fabricate a opening (you would want to reinforge the opening so that the fabric wouldn't tear.

One ot the things that I am into is a trickle chargers that will be able to work off the power supply (12v) for the fans. That would only require a small modification to the existing wiring harness and would make it an all-in-one unit.

Thanks for the response and the question.

Scottie

4. zakeen

zakeen Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Czech Republic
    Do they realy work?

I sleep in a bubble everynite!

5. TheCarcierge

TheCarcierge Formula 3

Feb 1, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott Saidel
    What do you mean by "really work" They certainly move air around the car. That certainly reduces condensation and by filtering the incoming air, you certainly avoid dust and grime. Finally, the bubble itself protects the car from all manner of accidents, bugs, rodents, etc.

Scottie

6. zakeen

zakeen Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Czech Republic
    This I understand.

Would it stop the car from rust? Is it 100% safe in there, like putting it in there nothing will happen to it?

7. TheCarcierge

TheCarcierge Formula 3

Feb 1, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott Saidel
    I can't say that it will STOP rust, but the concept is that the moving air prevents the build up of condensation - therefore inhibiting rust. Of course, there is always the possibility that dirt and water can find and enclosed place somewhere in the car - just add air and you have rust.

As far as protection - there is a some pretection against contact with items outside the bubble - it is under a small amount of positive pressure so small objects - list broom handles will bounce off. A pile of bricks falling from the top shelf will go right through.

I have also found that the noise of the fans and the moving air flow inhjibits insects, spiders and rodents.

Scottie

8. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    The concept looks excellent. The idea of hacing a frame around it and driving in and out without putting is back over the car, blowing it up etc. is fantastic. That is one of the things I hate about the car bubbles. What a hastle. This look s easy. Unzip and driove out, drive back in and zip and you are good to go. Like a garage within a garage.

I'd call it the next generation Car Bubble.

9. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    Bubble cars. To bad Jerry Seinfeld is not still on the air, he could get a couple of shows out of that.

10. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I have a bubble for my Jag. They work great, but are a bit of a pain to use. The frame concept sounds fantastic.

11. RDS

RDS Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Elmwood Park, Il
    How do you get into or out of the veihicle when it is in the "bubble"?

12. TheCarcierge

TheCarcierge Formula 3

Feb 1, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott Saidel
    It is better than the existing bubbles - in terms of ingress and egress.

In terms of access to the car - there are door flaps midway down the saides that allow access to the vehicle when it is inside - they are large enough to let you open the car door.

As far as getting the car in and out, you undo two zippers and a piece of velcro on the front and drive in or out.

In the pervious generation bubbles, you had to drive onto the bottom pad, unroll the "bubble" portion over the car, and then wait for it to inflate. During inflation, and if the power ever goes out, the bubble material lays on the car - that can cause the same problems as a car cover - scraping and scratching due to dirt on the inside surface or on the vehicle itself.

Thanks again to everyone for all their input.

Scottie

13. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #13 Chiaro_Slag, Sep 17, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The prior owner of my TR lived in Florida, so he kept the car in a bubble. He did this also to protect the car from his kids/dogs, etc.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login