Lexus SC430 stolen during my wedding reception | FerrariChat

Lexus SC430 stolen during my wedding reception

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by tfazio, Sep 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    I got married in Kellogg Park in Plymouth Michigan on Friday, September 3rd. The reception was at The Meeting house which is about a block away from the park. It was a great day and the wedding and reception was a lot of fun. During dinner my mom put the keys to their car on the table she was sitting at. Later in the evening she couldn't find the keys. When she went outside to look for the car it wasn't there. I guess everyone thought maybe someone moved the car as a joke. When they figured out that it wasn't a joke they called the police. I didn't even know anything was up until I was leaving and saw my dad talking to a cop. The cop told my dad that he doubted the car was stolen. Another one of my friends couldn't find his keys to his X5 either but later found them a few days later. The car was actually found in Detroit in a "garage" 4 days later in relatively good shape. The only thing that was stolen were some cd's. There were some scratches on the front of the car but besides that it was in pretty good shape. The Plymouth Police at first thought my parents may have had the car stolen. They contacted their credit union to make sure they were making payments on the car. I was pretty upset that the Police thought my parents had something to do with it but my parents thought it was funny. The police think they have an idea who did it and hopefully we will find out soon enough. Obviously my mom should not have left the keys on the table but she really wasn't too concerned. Plymouth isn't a place where cars get stolen very often.

I guess in the end it will make for an interesting story when talking about my wedding in the future.

2. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I think that story is pretty funny. :)
    Congrats on the wedding by the way.

3. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I had to quit going to wedding receptions because I kept losing cars. Cost me a bundle. Cops questioning your mother shows you where our society has "progressed" to.

Congratulations BTW.

Cheers
    Kevin

4. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Yeah, so much for places where cars don't get stolen too often!

I'm here in Farmington Hills, "The safest city in Michigan 2003", yet some punks stole my GYM BAG from my unlocked passenger seat one night. Too bad the stuff was clean, they deserved it dirty!
    Then last weekend while I was rolling up the window and locking the door of my little 190E a guy at the car show next door says "This is Farmington Hills, not Detroit, nobody's going to steal your Mercedes here." Thanks, pal, lemme just make sure this door locked right....

5. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Sounds to me like an "inside" job. Some employee that was watching what was going on and tipped someone else off. What a better place to steal cars then a wedding reception where everyone has their guard down? The X5 was probably waiting to be stripped or whatever.

The cops are probably following a standard procedure by questioning the owner first. Nothing to worry about.

I hope it all works out.

6. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    If I had to bet I would think it was an inside job too. The owner of the reception hall has been great though. I am sure he is hoping none of his employees were involved. We will just wait and see.

It was a great wedding though and thanks for the kind words. I was a little hesitant to tell the story. I thought some fellow ferrarichat members might tell me that my mom was stupid to leave the keys on the table.

7. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    i would think it was the caterers, being one myself ive seen many people leave keys on the table and it would be so easy to swipe it and never return.

8. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    This kind of thing has been happening in NJ too. In one case, after the reception a few family members went out for a drink. They had put all the
    wedding gifts, cash envelopes and wedding cake in one car which got stolen. As a parting gift the thieves even smashed the wedding cake all over the parking lot. :(

9. FTD

FTD Rookie

Nov 19, 2003
    New England, USA
    Back when I was in school, one of my teachers told a story about a Burger King bag that was stolen from his car. Everyone in his class had to bring in a sample for disection, The stolen bag contained a feces specimen. Hey, this food tastes like crap! LOL

10. milstanselnino

milstanselnino Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2004
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jon P.
    What a pain. I am glad you got your car back, on the other hand, it could have been an opportunity to get a Ferrari, because, hey, you need wheels, right?

Congratulations. May you have many happy years together.