car covers | FerrariChat

car covers

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by garysp7, Sep 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. garysp7

garysp7 Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Ok everyone. Please don't flame me. I have read all the car cover postings.
    I am looking for opinions on what is a decent car cover for indoor that will protect the car but not hurt the finish.
    I have found the factory ferrari cover for $650.00 it has a horse on it:)
    I see a cover called Noah for about $200. and a form fitted polyester outer and inner cotton fleece for $400.
    Any other options out there? What are you all doing? I know none of you even cover them, right:)
    gary

2. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I like the factory, form fit covers the best. They do a good job of keeping dust off and they are soft on the inside to prevent scratches. One other advantage is they offer some padding to help protect the car when you may accidently brush something up against it in your garage.

3. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    I found those covers to be very practical for cabriolets during the summer. Let the softtop open and just use the cover. And I will use it during the winter while the car is stored in a safe place.

Those made of a decent cotton quality should cost no more than 200 EUR. I paid 160 EUR for mine at

http://permabag.com/home.htm

4. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    i bought two indoor covers last month for my cars, they are stretch fabric and fleece lined on the inside , a perfect fit, I asked for a discount and got 15% off, they are tailor made in Italy, and cost me 450 euro for both including shipping, www.covercar.it
    steve

5. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    I have the factory cover and it's the best I've ever used. Fit's to cover the wheels and sits about 1/4" off the ground...way cool.

The Noah cover you mentioned goes for about $175 and is really made for outdoor use...it's made by covercraft...do a web search under covercraft and you'll find plenty of distributors on the web - they make about 8 or 9 different covers and you can select one that best fits your needs...ie inside parking with soft fabric. I just spoke to the covercraft factory yesterday, as I'm having them make a one-of-kind cover for me...Good quality company but they don't have anything that comes close the the factory covers.

ps-if you go to the covercraft web you can download a pdf file that shows you all the specs on the covers they make, like UV protection, outdoor protection, ding protection, etc etc... very good comparison chart

6. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I've been using Covercraft's Evolution covers for 3 different cars for 4 or 5 years now. While it's ostensably an outdoor cover, it's very dust resistant & has worked great for inside winter storage as well:

http://www.covercraft.com/technalon®.htm

It provides the best impact/ding protection of any cover material that I know of.

Only down side is it's somewhat heavy & bulky when rolled/folded. (Takes up about 1/3 of my 308's luggage area.)

During good weather, my 308's my daily driver. When I get to work, I dust the car off with a California Duster, & then cover it to keep the sun off. My cover's now on it's 3rd year & no sign of fading or deterioriation. If anything, it's gotten softer & more a bit flexible with time.

I've noticed that water isn't beading up like it used to, so I guess it's time to spray it with ScotchGuard to renew the water repellancy.

BTW, they also have an outlet store that lists some 308 covers:
    http://www.carcoversplus.com/store/showinv.asp?Make=FERRARI&Model=308+GTS&Year=1983&vid=945090483

Note that these don't seem to have mirror pockets (my cover does).