Jacking points on 84 308 QV US | FerrariChat

Jacking points on 84 308 QV US

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by PhilB, Sep 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Can anyone tell me where the safest place is to jack an 84 308 QV US Spec car, using a hydraulic jack, in both the front and rear? I never lifted the car, always used ramps when changing oil, etc., but since overheating, I don't want to start the car until I get some clean oil in there. Besides, I should know after all these years where to jack the car up from.

I spent tonight under the car with a spot light, but have not determined what the best and safest procedure is.

The manual, as you know, only explains the scissor jack procedure.

Also, where should the jack stands be placed.

I know of someone who didn't pay close attention when lifting his Euro 308 and the hydraulic jack caused considerable damage.

Thanks,
    Phil

2. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    mine is a 78 308, but they cant be that different. i take the nose off my floor jack to get it under the car. then i go under the car at the rear frame member near the muffler. the heat shield should forgive any pressure on it if you have to push the jack past it to get the the frame member. i use the frame where the control arms mount to , or there abouts for the front of the car. my valance is damaged on one side so i dont care too much about it either way. bear in mind when i install the euro valance i will have to re think where to put the jack in the front. seems like there is a box section around where the shocks are, that should be a good place also.

3. 308qv

308qv Rookie

Aug 25, 2004
    Europe
    Full Name:
    S Dali
    Hi,

On my Euro 308QV, I managed to damage it by stupidly jacking up on the black steel strips than run underneat the car.

After that I can jack the car up by carefully locating the chassi points just behind and inside of the front wheel wells and again the chassis members jsut in fron and to the inside of the rear wells.

As the car is rear heavy I thought that this might be unbalanced, but it never felt unbalanced and was pretty solid when jacked up on all the se four points

Yannis

4. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    If you search on this 'new F-Chat' site as well as the archives, there are several threads with diagrams one where to raise the car as well as placement of jackstands.

5. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    At the rear, the frame rail which runs across the back just behind the gearbox is where to jack . I put a 2x4 onto the jack head to spread out the load . This was highly recommended to me by a mechanic. The jack stands go on the cylindrical frame parts just to the outside of where the rear pan is bolted.

For the front, I place the jack, w the 2x4, on the frame rail which the lower spoiler floor bolts to ( it 's roughly even with the wheels). Again, be sure to use a 2x4 to avoid any scratches, bending, etc. Re: jack stands, you'll see triangular, welded areas on either side of the spoiler floor. I've found those areas to be real solid.

Due to the height of my car I have to drive up a small ramp which I made to get the jack under the car. I bolted 2 2x10'boards together , like a step , to just get the whells high enough to roll the jack underneath.