riding in SW London | FerrariChat

riding in SW London

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by cheetah360, Sep 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cheetah360

cheetah360 Rookie

Feb 16, 2004
    I just moved to London from New York.Wanted to join an F-community. I have a yellow 2000 360 with gearshift, left hand driver, should finish off all the mods shortly.
    I'm wondering what kind of cool rides under 100 miles can be done from the Barnes area, avoiding as much traffic as possible. Also, are there race tracks available to do lapses (don't wanna race against others)?
    Looking forward to hanging out behind the prancing wheel.

2. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Hi and welcome to Fchat.
    I'm not too far away from you , in Teddington. PM me your phone no if you want to. There are a few decent roads around but buy yourself a radar detector as a lot of them have cameras on them. Goodwood and Brandshatch will be nearest race tracks.
    Rgds

3. Steve_nero

Steve_nero Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'm in the Wimbledon area and find the quickest way to get out of London is on the A3 but I'm still looking for decent roads off it. Tonyh please advise........!

4. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    How about trying the Brands Hatch trackday on 5th October. If you call the FOC, you can probably join in time to do the trackday.....

5. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Steve,
    agreed A3 is key to getting out.... there are some great roads off of it; Boxhill down to Arundell; A283 down to Goodwood, Bognor etc .... we often meet up at Boxhill but you're always in bed! ;)

6. Steve_nero

Steve_nero Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks Tony. You guys do meet far too early for me but then again I'm the one who ends up sitting in traffic at 11am moaning about how overcrowded the roads are.

7. LittleBro

LittleBro Formula 3

Jul 7, 2004
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Woody
    I'd 2nd (or 3rd) the A3 comment above. Alternatively, the Lower Richmond Road (A316) eventually turns in to the M3 and is a pretty swift way out of London... once you get past Twichenham.

As for roads, I think you'll need to go a fair way out to get something good - I've certainly not found much yet unless you want to do 20mph around Richmond Park?

8. EK3R

EK3R Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Eric K
    Hi there, I am literally 2 minutes down the road from you - in Mortlake. As has been mentioned before, best bet is A3 and out towards surrey / boxhill for decent driving roads. Not an awful lot else on offer within easy reach unfortunately, any other direction and you are fighting you way out of London.

9. Fezzaphil

Fezzaphil Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I'm based in Egham and would also agree that the A3 is the best bet. I enjoyed several good runs down to Goodwood for the FOS and Revival. Best early on a Sunday morning. Happy to suggest the route down to and through Petworth, as well as some good places to stop for lunch.

10. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Agreed, Phil.

11. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    HI
    welcome to fchat
    I know its only your 4th post but you are stepping out of line with your comments [good places to stop for lunch] TONYH is the fchat food guru for the uk section and if you mention PIES you will get banned as he takes his food to heart

12. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    COCK ;)

13. Fezzaphil

Fezzaphil Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Ok, I shall acknowledge the food guru in the future....I just know this really nice pub in Chiddingford...oops sorry.However I'm not sure if they do pies?

14. LittleBro

LittleBro Formula 3

Jul 7, 2004
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Woody
    LOL! Beautifully put.

15. cheetah360

cheetah360 Rookie

Feb 16, 2004
    thanks guys. My car is hitting Maranello Sales next week to get the mods done (it's coming from the US), then the admission test I dunno when, so I'm still a couple of weeks away, but I'll study a map to figure out how to get on the A3. As far as tracks, can you only drive on so-called track days and race against other drivers, or you can go on demand and do your own lapses without being bothered? I'm pretty naive about track days, never done it.

16. EK3R

EK3R Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Eric K
    Well from Barnes:

Down Church Rd, left onto Station Road, Right onto Rocks Lane - then just keep going straight till you can't go any further, and that major road crossing in front of you is the A3! Turn right onto the A3 and you are about 20 mins away from some good driving roads.....

17. davidgt4

davidgt4 Karting

May 28, 2003
    Surrey
    Full Name:
    David W.
    Welcome! I'm another who relies on the A3, working in Wimbledon & Kingston and living in West Byfleet. The runs (and there are lots of ways to do it) down towards the South Downs (Petworth, Goodwood, A272 etc) are worth seeking out. You need to be on the road v. early at the weekend to avoid plod and the hat wearing Honda Civic brigade.

Next Auto Italia day at Brooklands(just down the A3!) is Oct. 3rd and I would imagine plenty of us will be out for that. I'm sure a separate thread will appear in due course.