Richard Branson and his Virgin Company should be in F1! | FerrariChat

Richard Branson and his Virgin Company should be in F1!

Discussion in 'F1' started by Tipo815, Sep 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    I have always thought that Richard Branson - with his flamboyant personality, resources, and many name brand companies - would be a natural fit for F1. He would definately bring even more flair and excitement to the sport. With his presence and stature I don't know why someone hasn't approached him about it - or if they have - why he hasn't considered becoming involved in the sport in some capacity. Can you imagine a F1 car with VIRGIN splashed all over it! :) He has so many companies and so many brands that would benefit by the exposure. Add to that the fact that he is one of the most respected businessmen in the world. Maybe he is just too busy. :)

2. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    From what I can tell, he is probably the least busy Billionaire. (work wise that is)

3. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Or a major sponsor for that matter.

4. webrits

webrits Rookie

Sep 13, 2004
    That's gotta be the greatest idea I've heard. Virgin in F1...Brilliant.
    I'm gonna call him

5. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I would guess that Branson has found other far less expensive ways to big-note his brand and himself, and I would venture that F1 exposure would cost more money than he needs to spend to reach perhaps a smallish segment of the demographic that Virgin targets.

Cheers
    Kevin

6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Branson would be a thrill.

I don't care whether that would help his cause in the end or not, but he is such a wild character that would certainly help the sterile world of F1 it has become under Bernie.

7. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    Well - a spare place has just become available on the grid (Jaguar...).

But (if it matters), Branson isn't a car guy. He'd be more likely to be involved in Powerboats I'd have thought..

John

8. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Branson is more into boats, but he's also smart. If F1 makes good business sense, then he'll get into F1. Bottom line. His branding has a youthful slant to it, and right now, I seriously doubt that he sees an enormous investment in F1 as something that would benefit Virgin's marketing goals. I mentioned in the other thread that his name has been thrown about quite a bit in the F1 rumour mill, but I'd bet most anything that at the very least he's sitting on his hands until the Concorde agreement is laid to rest.

9. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Branson and Concorde in the same sentence? Wait a minute! There is a thought...

10. GTB4NART

GTB4NART Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    I spoke with Richard two years ago at Monaco. We briefly chatted about racing - he's a big fan. He and the EasyJet guy (Spiros?) were talking about F1 dollars. Their comments were pretty funny. I think both of those guys report to a tightly-run board and can't really play in the rarified atmosphere of F1, very few can. I did a sponsorship proposal for Williams years ago and you would not even fathom the costs and detail. When I raised money for a race-winning IndyCar team, they had about 20 full-time staff. Williams had 400!

11. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Sir Richard..... I like the guy! I've stayed on Necker Island and anyone who has a pad like that has got to be cool. I'm pretty sure any Concorde deal is dead as all the birdies have homes and no one to maintain them. As for F1, I think it's right down his ally but too costly. Further, he'd want to be the driver. I can see him and Fosset (sp?) racing down pit lane........

12. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    If I'm not mistaken, some companies came out a couple of years ago to state that they would not take part in F-1 as long as the tobacco sponsorship deals existed.

I believe Virgin and Microsoft were among these companies.

BHW