Please tell me this happens to you. | FerrariChat

Please tell me this happens to you.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Rerun, Sep 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rerun

Rerun Karting

Jun 16, 2004
    I just bought a 1990 348ts. Red/tan, a great car with a tubi. I have a steep driveway and the car scraps going out, but not in. I'm getting the driveway fixed with a ramp soon, but today I took the car out for my second drive and I hear a scraping noise. Nothing to bad or loud or anything. Well I get back from my drive and I notice a 1/2 maybe 3/4 inch chip on the front spoiler. Damn! My heart sank, it ruined my day. It makes me cringe just thinking about it. It is small, but it hurts. WHY? I feel like a complete idiot. Please tell me it isn't me?

2. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    Happens to all of us to some extent. Some skid plates from Hill Engineering would soon sort that out though

3. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    HAPPENED TO ME ON THE FIRST TIME WITH MY TR

I NOW BACK DOWN THE DRIVEWAY( ARSE FIRST) AND CUT IT 90 DEGREES WHEN IM JUST ABOUT TO HIT THE GUTTER

4. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Move to the Midwest, or don't sweat the scrapes. It's a car, not a statue of a car.

Ken

5. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Funny!

6. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Rerun, Ken said it best... No sweat, these things happen... You should only feel like a complete idiot when you've scraped the bottom of someone ELSE'S Ferrari - like maybe a 355 Spider - when they hand you the keys for the first time, out in California...!

...um, not that i've, uh... done that or anything...

7. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    good job Ken,,,

even though i have been sensitised to very low spoilers by 3 GT2's, it happens to me all the time and i spill cigar ashes all over as well in most of my cars...and even scrape or ding them myself.... spoilers are for scraping and breaking.. ease your mind and go drive the sh.t out of it!!!!

8. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Rerun,

Sorry to hear about your front spolier.

I'm sorry to report to you that this does NOT happen to me. Why? I've mastered the art of avoiding this problem with my 348.

You must be PATIENT when driving across aprons. Patient patient patient!

I'll spend as much as 30-40 seconds just coming out of a driveway or going into one. Just keep your foot on the brake and let gravity take you. Apply the brake if gravity takes you too fast! Slow, slow, slow!

And of course, go on an angle. Not just any angle--an exreme angle, like 30 degrees or almost parallel. If you're going out of a gas station and making a right turn, approach the exit apron in the following manner: go toward the apron on the far left side, even if it's where cars are supposed to enter. Then cut the wheel ALL the way to the right so that you can exit down the apron on most extreme angle possible. Go slow as your left wheel crosses the apron, and still more slowly as the rest of the car comes down across the apron. Don't speed up yet! The back is very low also, so you need to go slow as the rear tires proceed down the apron as well.

Keep your window open and wave your hand up in case there are impatient morons behind you becoming violent that you have a Ferrari and you wish to protect it. I don't care who's behind me--they're going to wait until I am finished. Just keep an eye out that you're not hit from behind by people who don't expect you to come to a complete stop in certain places, like railroad tracks.

You probably knew most of this already, but that's my 2 cents!

9. Timbo

Timbo Karting

Feb 5, 2004
    Portsmouth, NH
    Full Name:
    Timbo
    I've scraped many, many low front spoilers in my day, and have always thought it would be nice to have an electronic up/down control for the front spoiler.

You could control it manually with a switch, or it could automatically go down at speed, and back up at speeds below 30 mph or so, like the rear wings on Porsches. Would save a lot of heartache.

10. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    You'll soon learn to take ramps at an angle. I have to approach my driveway from one direction only to avoid scraping. I'm sure it must amuse my neighbors to see me drive past my house only to do a U-turn to go back to my house and into my driveway! I also have to back out a certain way, sort of as described by BWS88TR.

But if you don't have a scraped up spoiler and a few paint chips, you're not driving your Ferrari!

11. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I've been behind an Enzo when it's bottomed out. It happens to everyone.

12. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Murcielago has that and i think Enzo might.

13. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    If it goes in o.k. you should be able to back out in an angle w/o scraping. I had the same problem with the 360 when lived up on the hills. You juts need to be super careful.

14. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Similar thing... I didn't pull into my garage far enough once and the bolt from the garage door scraped my bumber on the way down. No damage but a nice hack in the bumper. I wanted to fix some road rash on the front end anyway so I had the front (and back!) bumpers repainted... makes you feel like an idiot! Oh well...

15. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    fwiw, I moved the child safety beam on the garage door so it's at bumper height. If my car isn't in far enough, the door won't close. I knew if I didn't do that, sooner or later I would have that same idiot feeling!

16. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    yep, i have to do the same exact thing in my RX-8.

17. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve

get some skid plates or some rubber with silicone

18. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    I've had that forever w/ my RX7. Parking garages are impossible, as are some speed bumps (scrapes the pipes too). Nothing like going to a black tie formal dinner where you can’t park. If its just your driveway, get it repoured.

Page4:
    http://members.cardomain.com/snapshot1

19. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    The first time my dad let me drive the 355 I scraped the crap out of the front spoiler!!! I felt like a complete idiot. He flipped out a bit, but all in all I learned never take a turn up a hill at anything more then a crawl if it is steep. I was only going like 15ish thats what really pissed me off.
    Erik

20. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    It definitely happens to most of us some time. Why, it was only a year ago when this one happened to Andreas...

21. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Yeah, we learn to take ALL dips and bumps at sharp angles instead of straight on... at least when we see them ahead of time!