Death: How often do you think about it? | FerrariChat

Death: How often do you think about it?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by PeterS, Sep 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I am 45 and in the last couple of years, I have thought about death alot. Not that I have a terminal illness and have two years to live, but you never know when it will be your turn to 'check out'. How often do you think about death?

2. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Peter,

I actually think about death rather often. Then again, it seems that I have some kind of comlex that tomorrow I will be 50, and my life is passing me by. Can't explain, it I just feel it. I notice I try to be more hip in the last few years, and keep up with the new generation (musically/tv/culturally). I have a fear, that tomorrow morning I will be 50, and my life has passed me by, and I have accomplished nothing (as far as finding a woman to love, having a wonderful child, have a decent career). Then I will be dead, and have lived an empty life. Just can't get out this mindset, that tomorrow will be the last day, and there will be so many things I wasn't able to do.

3. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Just the concept of death is sort of beyond me, what do u see, are u aware that u are dead, is their auctually a heaven. I often wonder y people comit suicide b/c nothing that bad could ever happen that u have to kill urself for it.

4. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    you should watch the movie "about schmidt" it will make you think.

my dad died at 40, so for my 40th birthday i am sailing around the world. I am 33 now so I have a little ways to go, i dont see myself dying though, I honestly belive I am going to live to be 100. if i die sooner ohh well. the only thing I know for sure is I am going to die, and pay taxes and there is nothing I can do about it. so I dont worry about it.

john

5. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    dont think about death myself but think about losing loved ones, my wife is convinced she's only gonna last till 35, I dont think I would be able to live without her if that would be true :-(

6. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    I rarely think about death ... like my death, but more like how others will feel. I assume that when I die, I'll have a wife and kids ... and I sometimes think about what I could do to help them get over it, even if I'm dead.

Has anyone wondered what after death is like? What's your scoop on it (kinda thread hi-jakcing ... but could be interesting).
    Personally, while I don't believe in anything, I still have a hard time admitting that when you die ... "it's over". Pretty weird concept ... you don't feel, think, see ... you just generally "don't". And worst of it ... you don't realize it!

7. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Everyone should be so lucky to wonder that...

i used to think about death a lot; not so much lately... It's inevitable, though and it's nice to be able to embrace that realization...

As far as what might go on after death, i believe that once you die, that's it; no heaven, no hell, no virgins, no big screen tv, nothing. you don't know you're dead, you can't see down on earth, you can't think about you lived your life, there's no pearly gates, no bright light, you're dead. That's it. A lifeless corpse in a box, buried in the ground... People think about you and that's it. You're gone, you're done, you've finished your rounds, it's over. There's no thinking about it afterwards.

...of course, i have this one other theory about what might happen after death, but it makes extreme leftists look extremely conservative. :)

8. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    It starts out nice enough, velvet ceiling and all that. But it gets wormy after a while.

9. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Hey, anyone know what princess Grace would be doing right now if she were alive?

10. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    SCRATCHING AT THE INSIDE OF HER COFFIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    LMAO at wax and Uro ... :D:D

12. sduke

sduke Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2003
    The Hub City, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steven D
    Or John Lennon?

he is De-composing

13. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Ryan, how old are you?

14. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I think about/am afraid of other 's people death not mine.

15. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    I think NNO is on the right track. There just becomes nothing. I've talked to a guy who was legally dead after a nasty car accident, only to be revived shortly after. And die again. And revived once more. He said that, from what he remembers, it's like fading into sleep: loss of senses and loss of conscious thought.

Now, I could say that it just wasn't his time so he didn't get the spectacular light show that was promised :)

16. HUTCH91TR

HUTCH91TR F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Hutch

My view as well Carbo. Thats why you need to live it up and enjoy every minute while you are here and have the ability. I watched my mother take her last breath about a year ago. That changed my entire perspective on how to live, and be.

17. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Actually it can, my Dad committed suicide, we were told that the cancer that was infecting him was terminal nothing could help him and that he would get very sick before the end, my Dad who did not want us to witness this took a drive one day from witch he never returned, i often think about death me and Collette came close a while back and when you come close to it you think a lot harder about it, we now think more about living and try to enjoy our lives as best we can.

18. coolestkidever

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    i feel you

19. elgin328

elgin328 Formula 3

Apr 11, 2004
    near Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I know what's going to happen when i die, I'm going to be with my LORD & SAVIOR JESUS. Just look around, we can see creation all around us.We all know Enzo made Ferraris, Bill Gates made computers, someone made the pen or pencil we use. Every thing we look at,we can trace it to a creator. GOD is our creator. There is no other machine as complex as the human body. So who made us? Trace it back( big bang explosion.) No, if that were the case every time a bomb exploded we would make a new creation. Sounds funny don't it. Apes? No. Why have'nt apes evolved into some thing more than what they are (apes.)The truth is that you & I wonderfully made in the image of GOD. I ask you to just look around you & you will see that you can trace all things back to it's creator. Wether it be GOD or a man. Every thing has a creator. As far as life after death. It's only the beginning.
    We are created in GODs image. GOD is a spirit. So, what is man ?
    Man is a spirit that has a body & a soul or( emotions) there is 3 parts to a man, spirit, soul & body.Yes, our bodies will die, but our spirit will not. There is 2 places that a person will go at death, HEAVEN or HELL. Think of it this way. Lets say a person knows 75% of all there is to know. (no one is that smart) but HEAVEN and HELL is in the 25% he don't know, that would be (by far) the worst thing he did not learn.

20. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Elgin:

-Beautiful 328 you have there.

-You can do no more to prove your beliefs about life after death than Carbon can do to prove that there is no life after death.

21. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    My father just came out of Carathid surgery which can be tricky & complicated. Luckily his was easy & he is already out of the hospital but it was a rough week thinking what I would do if he died.

The wise man lives his life as if the next moment could be his last bcus you never know

Right here in the Ferrari world a friends young 25 yr old wife was killed in an auto accident, our 2 friends were killed at the Nurburgring, a close 40 yr old friend died of a brain aneurism 10 years ago

Nobody is guaranteed to be around tommorow, Nobody, So Carpe Diem as the Romans said.

22. coolestkidever

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    totally agree. to quote the Roman Poet Qunitus Horatious Falccus, who aslo said carpe diem, "Nunc est bibendiem"- Now is a time for drinking

23. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Cheers!

24. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Sadly, I tend to agree that that is the most likely possibility.

When you think about it, people's brains are really nothing more than extremely complicated computers, which are sophisticated enough to be self-aware. Thought, conciousness and personality are entirely derived from electro-chemical reactions within various areas of the brain. You can completely change a person by altering certain features of this brain; look at a person before and after a debilitating injury, before and after psychiatric medication, etc. It is like reprogramming a machine, and the differences can be vast enough to pretty much dispel any romantic notions of a never-changing 'soul.' Personality can quite easily become unrecognisable from what it was before. You can have multiple-personalities. Delete one personality, create another. So what happened to the notion of a soul?

When someone dies, their brain is being switched off. Now you wouldn't go so far as to say a self-aware super-computer has a 'soul', and it goes to heaven when you pull the plug? Because that is what you are asserting with regards to humans. The day will come when the complexity and intelligence of machines exceeds that of our own. Then what will happen to the argument that nothing is as complex as a human, and therefore must have been created by god?

I'm sorry, but as nice as it feels to say and think that we'll all float up into paradise and be with our god when we die, the reality is that the more science progresses, the more current religious faith will be proven to be fantasy, no different to the myths and religions of the people of thousands of years ago, created by humans for humans in an attempt to explain the things we don't yet understand.

25. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

Wow, what a story. Someday, you should try and put this down in words for the rest of us.

Dale