Ferrari to build new 250 GTO! | FerrariChat

Ferrari to build new 250 GTO!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Robertb, Sep 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Jealous regarding the success of Ford's new GT, insiders say that Ferrari management are considering a car based the 250 GTO, powered by the Enzo V12...

No, not really.

But do you think there would be a market if they did decide to build a new 250 GTO, swb, or California spyder?

Imagine the retro style combined with modern mechanicals... it worked for Ford, why not Ferrari?

I'd be interested, if I could afford one...

Any views, anyone?

Robert.

2. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    would be great if they did, but suspect they'd keep em to a limited 349 run and offer them to collectors before the genral public, so we would never really see em on the road

3. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I would LOVE to see a modern 57 pontoon Testa Rossa. That would be awesome

or a 330 P4 for the street :)

4. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    I consider the Challenge Stradale to be the modern iteration of the 250GTO.

5. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    You can't run a company being RE-ACTIVE.

6. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    CS - mid-engine
    GTO - front-engine

CS - 8 cyl.
    GTO - 12 cyl.

CS - no race history; nor do any racing 360s have significant race histories
    GTO - race history, to say the least.

CS - close to 1,000 made
    GTO - 36 made

I could go on... They have completely different 1. designs 2. production histories 3. intended uses and 4. actual uses in history.

7. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    To answer the original question, I am overjoyed that Ferrari has not yet headed down this path, and I truly hope that they do not. Firstly, aerodynamics have evolved to the point that they would probably butcher the original shape in an attempt to make it work at modern speeds. Second, they would make more than 36, and that would eliminate some of its specialness. Third, it is unlikely that a new one would be able to be as dominant and spectacular as the original, and that would tarnish the image and aura of the old one.

Let the retired cars have their glory and don't interfere. Try to make new ones that do the same thing! Unfortunately, the nature of cars today makes me wonder what the collector market will be like 50 years from now. Production is so high that collectability will be next to none. Secondly, whereas race cars such as the GTO are quite driveable (even on the street) and, though requiring lots of work, they can be repaired by an experienced mechanic doing his mechanical magic. The only low production, potentially collectable cars now are the race cars that have a whole range of technology that older cars simply don't have. How are you going to repair a 1999 F1 transmission in 75 years? Fixing a whole slew of computers isn't quite the same as fiddling with carburetors. As a result, I unfortunately don't see how it is possible that any kind of collector market for current cars will exist 50 years from now as it does now for cars produced 50 years ago. There may never be another 250 GTO.

But that should not stop Ferrari from trying. You can capture the spirit of the GTO without building a modern car clothed in some semblance of a GTO skin: make a car that simply dominates.

8. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    What would be much better would be a new 166 Barchetta with a small 3 liter V-12 that weighed 2000 pounds or so with nothing but a steering wheel, seats, shifter, pedals and gauges inside. No power windows, no a/c, no radio...just a basic car that had the beautiful lines of the 166 and the sound of a small displacement V12....

9. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Mine is 2 liter and weighs 1600lbs otherwise it's close.

10. Omerta

Omerta Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2004
    250 GTO is a classic. Do not disrupt the name. Leave it as a classic. IMO.

11. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Napolas, great looking car..., I was referring to the 166 Barchetta which also had a 2 liter V12 as I recall.

12. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    ??? What do you consider to be significant? How about Le Mans, Sebring and Daytona, where a 360GT finished 2nd in class?

13. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    That's not exactly what I meant. Of course they have competed in the significant races. But, we're not talking dominance vs. the Porsches, and we're certainly not talking about dominance at the level of the GTOs.

Three Manufacuters' Championships! What a time that must have been

14. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Enzo's favourite car was always the next one he built, ford may have to look to past glory (the Lola designed original) but Ferrari can look to the future after all why copy something when for a little more effort you can build something truely new

15. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Maybe the cars that will stand out 50 years from now may be from some small, obscure manufacturer that does not register on our collective radar screen..... yet.

I would guess that some one looking at a worn out Ferrari 50 years ago might view it as I would a semi-wadded Panoz last week-end, i.e. nothing special, just an old racer ready for the junk yard.

If we only knew what manufacturer was destined to survive and go on to produce world class cars, we'd know what junkers to tuck in the back of our garages.

16. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    #16 writerguy, Sep 17, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Because Ferrari and Pininfarina create, they do not need to imitate their own past.

However, they do echo the themes of their heirtage, which is a beautiful combination of growth and tradition.

Forza,

Cavallini

18. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    I can't see Ferrari going retro... for one thing, they just don't need to do it.

19. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    i dont see why ferrari would take a back road to the past and try to create a modern interpretation of the classic 250 gto, no matter how much praise the ford gt gets. ferrari is never going to look into the past for a reincarnation of any car! they will onlycontinue to look into the furure.

and i'm glad, they dont need to look into the past.

20. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    "Retro" is best left to the American car makers. "Retro" does not define world class sports cars. It is unspeakable terminology in the Ferrari world.

21. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    I think the same thing.