355 Tyre Blowout | FerrariChat

355 Tyre Blowout

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by matkat, Sep 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Posted on the main board but thought I should put it here aswell.Driving along fat dumb and happy loud bang from rear left.pulled over to look at it and found about 6 inches of tread missing extending right around the tyre circumference and going from the inside to the outside.When the car was raised onto the recovery truck(no spare and hole far to big for tyre weld)I could see a similar wear pattern on the R/H tyre.The tyres were fitted 4K miles ago(last september)Greypaul want the car back for examination.The tyres are Bridgestone Expedias.
    Dave Mc

2. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Thanks for the tip, Dave- will check mine.

Glad no harm done.

Robert.

3. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    When you say tread missing, was it completely flat bald on the inside edge of the tyre? Or was there a little bit of grip left - say 1/2 mm??

For comparision for others: My rears seem to have worn evenly over the last 4K miles - with around 8mm of thread left evenly over all area.

4. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Adrian,the tread had completely gone not worn Just missing,you can see the cords and thats it.
    Dave Mc

5. daz355

daz355 Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2004
    MclarenVille
    Full Name:
    Darren P
    Sounds like the tyre delaminated.

6. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Darren,that is exactly what has happened,the tyres have only been on the car for 4K miles.I am taking it back to Greypaul soonest
    Dave Mc

7. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Just thought I would post a few pics of the tyre,FYI the car had a annual with cam belts and water pump change in July and has covered 1500 miles since then,comments or thoughts?

8. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  9. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Never been on the track,tyre has done 4K miles only,as far as I am concerned the geometry is the problem,i complained about this before to the dealer.The full geometry was checked in July and I have the figures which I have posted under the same thread title in the "modern ferrari" section,I have also checked out the thread You linked and will instruct the dealer to follow the figures given for my particular requirements which are road use only.
    Dave Mc
    Dave Mc

10. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    blimey!! Thats a worrying problem... I didn't realise a tyre could decontruct in such a way...

11. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Dave..

Hope your well

just as well that you were taking your time... imagine at speed?

Rod

12. RAY430RED

RAY430RED Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Marlborough Wilts
    Full Name:
    Ray F
    Crikey Dave that is serious how did you manage to get your wife to agree to bring that wheel indoors and photo it in the dinning room Respect m8

RAY360M

13. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Yes, I have a comment.........

That tire is fried! How did you drive on that? You should pre-flight your car before you drive mate. Your lucky no damage to the car and you weren't hurt.

14. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Guys thanks for the comments.

Rod it happened on the Perth-Dundee road going towards Dundee just before the BP garage.As for speed I was at about 85 when it happened.

Ray,thats My garage floor!does your dining room have a floor like that?

Eric You are of course correct,but it appears the main dealer never saw it either,it had an annual service in July which also included a cam belt& water pump change so it would appear the main dealer also missed it.When it happened there was not a great drama, I in fact did not realise what had gone on and I thought I had hit something on the road,the only thing that was obvious was a marked pull to the left,tyres are now changed and will get the car back to the dealer soonest.
    Dave Mc

15. RAY430RED

RAY430RED Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Marlborough Wilts
    Full Name:
    Ray F
    #15 RAY430RED, Sep 16, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    ray thats proper mate, your wife must be very very understanding

17. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    Quality garage.

18. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    Coming back to the tyres - surely your tracking must of been out to cause something like that ?

Rick (just off to check my tyres)

19. RAY430RED

RAY430RED Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Marlborough Wilts
    Full Name:
    Ray F
    Thanks Steve she is a diamond and suffers my passion for Ferrari She has put up with me for thirty four years I wanted to put the car in the lounge but she resisted that so being a builder got permission (planning )to extend the lounge

RAY360M

20. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Ray,I am now sorry i mentioned it!!top garage,the problem I would have is why bother putting the telly there you would never watch it lol.Seriously though that Garage is like Your cars,absolutely amazing.

As for the tracking you are right but this must have been going on for some time and My question is this,why was this never picked up by the main dealer? it has only done 1.5K miles since it"s annual in July,it also had a geometry check then,I have the figures so will see what transpires with that,one of Our board technical members has the figures and will look into them.
    Thanks everyone,and Ray that garage,WoW.

21. ZYMOL348

ZYMOL348 Karting

May 1, 2004
    Minehead Somerset
    Full Name:
    Anthony Rea
    hi Dave i had a simerlar problem with the front tyres on my 348 but not quite as bad ,the inside edge went on mine and i had only done around 50000 mls i just assumed it was the tracking had it checked and replaced the tyres

zymol348

22. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    hope you meant 5000 miles fella

23. ZYMOL348

ZYMOL348 Karting

May 1, 2004
    Minehead Somerset
    Full Name:
    Anthony Rea
    YES thanks fella one to many noughts

zymol348

24. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    This can happen tp tyre you are below the wearing indicators on the tyre.
    Plus the in side edge of the tyre is wearing more. If this hppens you need to change them around. If they are astremetrical you cannot.

25. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    This can happen to a tyre you are below the wearing indicators on the tyre.
    Plus the inside edge of the tyre is wearing more. If this hppens you need to change them around every so often. This allows the tyre to wear evenly across the thread pattern. If they are astremetrical you cannot.