Beretta vs. Glock | FerrariChat

Beretta vs. Glock

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by PerryJ, Sep 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    I'm looking for another handgun, primarily for home/car defense and possible concealed carry, and for use at the range.

I want something with stopping power, but that is tame enough that my wife can use it with no problems.

I have always been a Beretta fan, but EVERYONE loves Glock ???

I want a compac,t not sub-compact probably a 9mm. A .40 will recoil too much for her I think ???

I have been looking at the Beretta 9000S, and the Glock 19, Love the new H&K P2000 but it's a bit out of my price range.

Anyone have expirence with either of these guns ? or anything else comparable ?

Thanks !!

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Whatever you do, when you apply for the gun, DO NOT - i repeat - DO NOT say that you want the gun for protection... Tell them it's for sport or they'll NEVER issue you a license...!

3. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Oh, and good luck and don't shoot me if i ever cut you off... :)

4. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Carb, what ARE you talking about? He lives in Alabama.

5. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Does that make a difference...? Seriously, i have no idea... i thought pretty much anywhere you went and applied for a gun, they'd shoot you down (i couldn't help the pun, sorry) if you applied for it under the "i want it for protection" pretenses...

6. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    LMAO!!!!!!!!!!

7. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    HAVE HAD HANDGUNS FOR YEARS.

HAVE HAD THE GLOCK 19..........PIECE OF CRAP..

BERETTAS ARE GOOD BUT TOO HEAVY..

I HAVE HAD A SIG SAUR P225 9MM....THE BEST GUN I EVER OWNED...

MY 2 CENTS FOR 9MM

8. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Oh, ok, it was a joke... Over my head, sorry... :)

9. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    Carbon,
    are you speaking from expirence ???

sounds like there's a story there ;)

10. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Have a Beretta, garbage. Glock is mediocre at best.

Get an H&K USP, and never look back.

11. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Bruce is right....

Spend the extra couple hundred and get the Sig Sauer.

DL

12. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Oh and a Walther P99. Another great sidearm.

13. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    what did you not like about the glocks Bruce ?

the heavyness of the 92F is another reason I'm looking for a new gun it's just WAY to bulky, thats why I'm looking at the 9000s still Beretta but polymer.

14. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    I used to work Law enforcement and we had Sig 226, I hated it. I have small hands and it always felt to big.

As for as HECKLER & KOCH I love the new P2000 that's one SWEET gun but 1,000 is a bit much when I trying to buy an F-car.

15. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    CARRIED A 19 FOR SOME YEARS..THE HANDLE CRACKED 2X AS WELL AS THE FIRING SPRING UN -RAVELED (SP)...ALSO THE FREAKIN GUN HAD TO BE CLEANED AFTER 25 RDS...

AGAIN, I ELECTED TO GO WITH THE P225 OR P226 SIG.............

16. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    #16 PerryJ, Sep 18, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    #17 PerryJ, Sep 18, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Here's my opinion:
    I have both Glock and Beretta, and have shot all (or pretty much all) of the diffrent models.
    My Beretta is the Brigider model and that means among other things, a heavier slide. It jams up quite a bit more because of there being more mass to the slide, and thus more force is required to cycle the action.
    My Glock 36 is the slimline 45 and is great to carry around. It has been completley reliable for me and everyone else that has shot it. I dont baby it, and somtimes I forget to clean it for a fiew shooting sessions. Still hasnt jamed.
    On the 9000S- I think its an OK gun, but the grip is quite uncomfortable to me. The fact that it matches the Beretta storm and that it has an extendible pinky grip on the mags are about the only two things it has going for it.The saftey is hokey. The sights are too short to shoot accuratley and the serrations on the slide are to small to get a confident grip on. Confidence is key when finding the right gun for you.

I recomend the Glock. The 19 is even better because it can take the Glock 17 (the full size 9mm) mags, which means 17 rounds. It will stick out a tad but it works flawless. It also has polygonal rifling which makes it even easier to clean. Disassembly is super simple and once you get it you can dissassemble any Glock.
    For concealed carry all I recomend are glocks (for a semiauto)- why? Because they are inharently safe in many ways.

One- they allways have a constant trigger pull because there is no doubble action/single action modes. Infact they have no external hammer so its very hard if not impossible to snag on your clothes when you are drawing.

Second- the patened safe action system- which the gun cannot fire unless the trigger is pulled.
    Also this is very handy because the saftey is on the trigger. There are no buttons to worry about. If i have to draw a gun in a stressfull situation, I could forget there is one there. Some people have a problem with this- just dont keep your finger on the trigger! Its just proper gun saftey!

Three- Its also lightweight

Four- Its extremly simple! Less parts= Less things that can go worng!

LIFETIME WARRANTY! But you wont need it, it is the most torture tested gun I have ever seen.

there are many other reasons why I recomend a Glock for a semiauto to carry, but I dont want to miss the point of my post (below)

now here's my advice:
    I was in the gun business for a while and I have seen many woman shooters.
    no matter what gun- weather it is a 9mm or a 44magnum, they will all think the recoil is scary. Its getting used to it is the hard part. I see many get discourged because some of the guns they shoot are too complex for new shooters in general. Sure a gun may be simple to use shooters, it may not be very simple for a brand new person.

Try out both WITH YOUR WIFE and see which one she likes more. 10 bucks says she will like the glock though.

Feel free to PM or Email me if you need any advice.

19. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    definitely the H n K.

20. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    What he said. My friend has the compact version and I love it.

21. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I think every one of the weapons mentioned are fine for your stated purpose but I would say if you do enjoy going to the range, the Sigs are very accurate straight out the box.

Prior to Mr. Clinton taking my FFL, I owned dozens and dozens of all these companies' weapons and I think they truely are all well made and dependable. If I had to bet my life on just one, it would be the Sig 220 .45ACP.

22. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    I don't any handgun should be half made of plastic... I don't like Glock for this reason... That 9000S looks A LOT like my dads Beretta 8040 Mini Cougar. They are great guns, never jammed or anything.

23. cbstd

cbstd Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Start with the caliber decision first. With that said there is only one handgun caliber.... .45 ACP. Frankly, everthing else is a waste of your time. .45 ACP is heavy, slow bullet that transfers more energy than 9mm or 10mm/.40.

As for the maker of weapon..... Sig Sauer is the only choice. They are the smoothest, finest shooting weapon you can get straight out of the box. Worth every penny. A secondary recommendation would be a quality 1911A1 that has been worked over by a gunsmith who knows what he is doing.

As for a carry "condition" for your weapon: regardless of the type of semi-auto pistol (SA, DA, SA/DA) I strongfly believe in the US and Israeli military's philosophy of a loaded magazine/empty chamber. If you need a "fast draw" to get yourself out of a tight situation...... you have screwed up. Situational Awareness will keep you safer than any weapon.

Scott

24. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    The Sig Sauer models are great. It's what the private security companies here use.
    SIG SAUR

25. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    1) colt officers acp. (.45) my personal carry gun.

2) for hot weather , little clothing a walther ppk/s with glaser safety slugs.

3) i would rather have a Taurus m92 or m99 which is the same as a Beretta, only made better and Taurus has a LIFETIME WARRANTY. but i dont like 9mm very much , with the exception of my 2 Uzi model B's.