Euro 308 radiator fan motors bad? | FerrariChat

Euro 308 radiator fan motors bad?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Scaledetails, Sep 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    In the last few weeks, a strange noise was coming from what seems to be the radiator fans in my 81' Euro 308 GTSI.....The noise is getting worse, and quite noticeable, it sounds like I have a kitchen garbage disposal in the front trunk.....Has this ever happened to anyone? My guess is the motors are bad, and they probably need replaced, would this solve it? Any help would be appreciated, thank you in advance......

Stephane
    Scaledetails

2. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    I had a sound similar when one of mine fan motors went out. Raise the front bonnet and look when the fans are on. You can do one of 2 things, jumper the radiator fan switch to get them to turn on or run the engine until warm and get them to come on. After that turn the key into the on position (engine not running) or position 2 and watch/listen to them. If they are bad they will growl and wobble while spinning. If they are bad try to find out why. It could just be age but when mine went out I found out that they were wired incorrectly and were pulling air rather than pushing. Anyway, I hope that helps.

3. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Thank you, that makes a lot of sense, I did just that, and I think one of them is bad, probably due to age, so I will invest in one, not too expensive anyway, thanks again.....

Stephane
    Scaledetails

4. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    You may well find a little grease will see another 5-10 years life out of it....

5. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Very interesting!! Thanks for that info also......

Stephane
    Scaledetails