FerrariChat.com down Sunday morning... | FerrariChat

FerrariChat.com down Sunday morning...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rob lay, Sep 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    The server was down from about 5am to 1:30pm EST because of a drive failure. Good news is our backup processes work and the host responded immediately. So although it took a little over 8 hours to swap drives and reload the server, I think it was handled very professionally by the host and we should have no data loss.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Luckily Sunday morning is our least busy time, so good timing as far as that is concerned.

2. Gimme Fuel

Gimme Fuel F1 Veteran

Mar 15, 2003
    In my 348
    Full Name:
    Paul (Norway)
    Here in Norway we'd been down all day - since we're 9 hours ahead of you Americans.
    BTW: Backup is one of the smartest things we invented when it comes to computer related stuff.
    Thanx a lot Mr Lay

Paul

3. Scuderia_Ferrari

Scuderia_Ferrari Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    I was wondering what was going on.

4. ferrarigr

ferrarigr Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Athens,Greece
    Full Name:
    Yiannis GR
    Well I'm working on board a cruise ship...so I thought is the servers on board.
    I'm telling you I had everybody running trying to see whats going on...hehehehehe....
    But then I thought ohhh well I better tell them to stop....it should be their server...Thanx for fixing the problem

5. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    It happenes 2 – 3 times a week but NOBODY in the USA cares about - `cause its YOUR time to sleep…..but our time to read and chat here!
    Hey, it’s a payed web site and we (the europeans somewhere over the pond) have also claims to participate!
    I`m talking about european time 08:00a.m. – 15:00p.m. / US time = 6-8 hours back!
    It happenes also sometimes during the “usual US” day time, but its always fixed within a few minutes and not over 5 – 6 hours!
    Rob, we have discussed this problem several times off-line and on-line, I and a few other european users we have offered you our help to watch and report this problems – we have sadly never got any feedback from you.
    Wolfgang

6. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    Over here it was sunday afternoon, MY least busy time and then no fchat! I went to the bar and spent like 3 years rosso subscription on beers.

7. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    LOL...lets take a lawyer and sue fchat for all the damages......
    You have lost big cash in the bar and maybe damaged your liver:D

8. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    2-3 times a week??

Dude, I don't sleep much... and I prefer visiting FChat during those hours as it performs soooo well. It definitely does NOT go down 2-3 times per week for me. AND, when it does go down, it is resurrected quickly in almost all cases.

If you truly are experiencing it going down for many hours 2-3 times per week, then I think the problem is the cable across the Atlantic or your ISP going down or something... 'cause over here, the site is up!

9. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Brian,
    I`m not kidding!
    Do you want me to start a list with date & time?
    (fchat is down mostly between 02:00a.m. - 06:00a.m. YOUR time zone)
    Its (sadly) my pleasure to run such list.
    No, I have no cable/ISP problems. I still can get all the other web-sites .com or whatever.

Wolfgang

10. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Brian,
    sorry, the reason I`m this time so pissed off and my post sounds a bit ******:
    I `m in PM touch with a ferrarichatter from the US who wants to buy a Ferrari here in Germany. We have mailed xx PM`s always thru fchat and never private e-mails ( I have droped him my private mail but he nevered replied it or gave me his private mail – always PM fchat).
    O.K. date for PPI has been set for Sunday. I drove 150 miles to the seller together with a mechanic and we have inspected and test driven the car.
    Perfect car with great history…a.s.o.
    The seller was waiting for the O.K. and buy order.
    No way to get in touch over fchat.com with the US gent. We have worked with my LapTop and the sellers PC. Back home 150 miles and fchat is still down…no way to get in touch with the gent.

Sorry long story but just wanted to let you know why I`m so …….. :(

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Get a damn phone number! FerrariChat.com is not your complete telecommunications provider. I'm not trying to compete with MCI and Dutch Telecom.

I know many of your posts are "lost in translation". However, your English looks great, but your tone sounds like a hating angry *****. ;)

I can show you the bandwidth charts and tell you exactly when FerrariChat.com is down and for how long. We haven't had any extended outages besides Sunday morning for 2 months now. The longest being 30 minutes to an hour. We still have some minor server problems we're working through that causes the main server to hiccup once every 2-3 days, but it can happen anytime during the day and just requires a short reboot to come back up.

However, if it just seems slow during your hours, then that's probably the backup and other processes that run periodically during the week. These always run about 3-5am CST USA because that's the least busy time of the day for FerrariChat.com overall. Get more European users and if your time of the day becomes more popular, then I'l move when the processes run. Without those processes we wouldn't of had that backup Sunday after the drive crash.

Also, I may have not talked with you, but I'm 90% sure I have, but I know 100% I've talked with several Europeans that I've informed to notify me when the server is down. However, email doesn't do me any good if the server is down, I have automatic notifications to my phone anyway, and there are several in the USA up at various hours (like Brian) that notify me if they see problems.

12. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Did the server go down again today at 17.50 UK time?

13. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    Wow Rob,

I sure hope that you are "lost in translation" in your last post! I think that it is rather rude.

Part of your job is to deal with criticism. Stay calm!

Ton

14. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.
    I experince breakdowns over here quite often too, not for long, between 10 minutes and 1 hour. But I am located right beside wolfgang, so it might be the same thing we are talking about :)

15. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    FYI, the site was down between 8.30 am and 6.30 pm y'day , my time. That IS a BIG deal for us Europeans.I have to say Wolfgang is right that FChat IS down quite a lot during the week too, tho' usually for less than 30 mins.

16. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    So it happens time to time. 10 minutes to 8 hours, my world isn't going to collapse due to server issues. Get out of the house, go work on your cars, read a book, do something productive rather than b!tch & moan. You guys need to give Rob a break, it’s a technical issue & these things just happen.

17. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    I HAVE JUST READ ALL THE POSTS HERE

THOUGH WOLFGANG DOES HAVE A NORMAL LIFE, THERE SEEMS TO BE A PROBLEM WITH F-CHAT AS PER GERMANY....

ROB,

IM SURE WOLFGANG IS NOT COMPLAINING BECAUSE NO ONE HAS BOUGHT A GUITAR FROM HIM IN 2 MONTHS AND JUST PISSED AT THE WORLD, BUT HAS A VALID POINT HE IS BRINGING UP..

TRY TO APISE HIM, HELP HIM, NOT BE VERBALLY RUDE TO HIM WITH YOUR LAST POST...

RUN F-CHAT AS A GREAT SITE FOR F-CAR ENTHUSIASTS (SP), NOT WITH JUST A 100 % BUSINESS IN MIND..

DONT TAKE THIS POST AS A BASH OR MELTDOWN FROM ME ( AS WE HAD SOME IN THE PAST) BUT TAKE HIS COMMENTS UNBIASLY, AND SEE WHAT THE PROBLEM IS..

BRUCE

18. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    You have read my mind Bruce!
    I couldn't agree more!

:)

Ton

19. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    Tempers seem to be flaring on both sides here.

Wolfgang is enraged because Fchat being down got in the way of a business deal going down.

Rob's point is Fchat is for amusement. Don't make Fchat an integral part of your business dealings.

I gotta side with Rob on this issue. Now he did not phrase his response in the most politic manner possible. :)

Erich

20. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Yeah, F-Chat'd dropped a few times for @1/2 hour in previous week during backup.

Glad to see backup works. There's another site I've been on for much, much longer which died @ 1 week ago. On to data recovery it has gone, to what result, is anyone's guess. Thing is, it's run by a famous 'puter coding professional, so it was a shocker all the way around.

So, we're very fortunate.

21. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

Same experience here. I do most of my FChat reading between 1AM and 4AM CST(I love insomnia! :) ) . Have not had a problem in a long long time. I'm in the midwest US.

22. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    Rob, out of curiosity, do you have any redundancy configured for the drive(s) in question? If you had a RAID 5 array, for instance, the server would still be up even if a drive failed, and you could hot swap the drive without any downtime...

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    We found a SQL worm that was degrading our performance that has been there since Tuesday. They removed it and rebooted the server about 12:50pm EST USA, but it came right back up.

The only other times it has been down the past 7 days is the big outage Sunday morning and then it was down early Wednesday (during the day Wednesday in Europe) about an hour when that worm first hit.

Besides those 3 instances, there have been no other outages in past 7 days.

However, forgot one other thing. The past couple weeks they've upgrade the kernel among some other trouble shooting between 3-5am EST USA to find the root cause of why the server has to bounce every 3 days.

So just looks like between maintenance and standard processes, the European side sees more down town than anyone else.

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    1) My English definitely wasn't "lost in translation", I was purposely talking in the same frame as Wolfgang. Not mad at him, but if he's going to treat me like that, then my response will be to the point and concise.

2) I'll start posting the weekly bandwidth charts. You can see exactly when the site went down and for how long.

3) Besides going down, the bandwidth chart may show activity, but from various areas of the world you may have lagging issues. I can guarantee that everyone will have lagging issues for when the offsite backup runs each Tuesday at about 4-5am EST.

4) I run FerrariChat.com like a business and that is in the best interest of everyone. If it was all for fun I wouldn't visit the site every few hours or spend money working with the host in the early hours trying to find the root cause of problems and making sure our hardware/software is always up to the task of what the growing FerrariChat.com community requires.

Wolfgang came across like I was ignoring him, like I didn't care. That's what got me mad because that is the farthest from the truth. I don't expect anyone to feel sorry for me as this is a business and it's my choice, but I work my ass off 24/7 when required in order to maintain and improve the site. Besides the drive failure, some of the outages the past few weeks have been in attempt to resolve lingering issues. We'll be better in the long run if I can resolve those issues, because then FC can go months without a single bounce vs. the 5-30 minute outages every 2-3 days now.

Below is the latest weekly bandwidth chart...

The 20 M spike early Tuesday is for the off site backup.

Where the blue line at 7M starts on Wednesday is when the SQL worm started. You can see today how that drops off when it was discovered.

The outage about where the blue line starts I'm told is when the kernel upgrade took place or other troubleshooting by the host. Coincidence or not that is when the SQL worm started?

You can then see the long outage Sunday morning.

I've also posted the daily bandwidth to show no outages today except when they removed the SQL worm and bounced the server.

Peace,
    rob

25. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    what are you all moaning about it is worse than that for me i know **** all about computers and some thing has gone wrong and i cant post pictures anymore so my problam is more serious than fchat outages I CANT POST PICTURES