550 barchetta vs f40 | FerrariChat

550 barchetta vs f40

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by scycle2020, Sep 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    in terms of a long term investment, which one of these f cars will hold it value better? the barchetta was made in very limited numbers, but to me its not a "hot " ferrari like the f40 is...but i believe there were 4 x as many f40s made as barchettas....but the 550s are generally unloved ferraris and everyone lusts after an f40...but how about in 10, 20 30 or 40 years? will the limited production being a convertible make the barchetta appreciate in value like the daytona spider? and will the relatively high numbers of the f40 cause it to depreciate instead of appreciate? your expert opinions please

2. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Open car, V12, limited edition.

No brainer. 550 Barchetta, once the initial depreciation is over.

3. mccprivate

mccprivate Karting

Jan 15, 2004
    Looking at the collector car market it is very difficult to know what will drive prices in the future. They made approximately 1,400 Mercedes 300SL Gullwings. They made almost the same number of F40s. The Mercedes Gullwing was one of the most significant automobiles of its era. I think it is safe to say that the F40 is one of the most well-known and sought-after automobiles of its time (breaking 200 mph, taking the title from the Porsche 959, etc.). What happens when the "muscle car" money from the baby boomers gets transfered to the "super car" generation? It usually takes 25 years for a car to go up in value. In 10 years are people going to want a powerful Hemi Cuda or a sophisticated supercar which can do 0-60 in the 3 second range, top speed at or near 200 mph and can handle on the race track.

As for 550 Barchetta, who knows? There is something to be said for limited production. A 250 GT California Spyder SWB is going for $2 to $2.5 million. A Mercedes 300SL Gullwing will go for $250K to $350K depending on condition and history. A Mercedes 300SL "Alloy" Gullwing (1 of 29) will bring $800K to over $1 million, depending on history.

No question that when the "muscle car" money is transferred and that generation is earning a lot of money, you should see a shift to the Lamborghini Countach, Ferrari F40, Ferrari 288 GTO, Porsche 959, McLaren F1, Bugatti EB110SS, Jaguar XJ220, Pantera, Porsche 911 Turbo Slantnose, Ferrari 308, Ferrari Testarossa and many other 80's and 90's European supercars.

Look at the value of the Duesenbergs, Packards, and other Gilded Age automobiles. The Duesenberg money is being transferred to the muscle car generation. They do not want a 150 hp tank (even though they are great cars). They want the car they grew up with, a '67 Corvette 427/435 Stingray.

Anyone add to this?

4. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    IF it ever stops depreciating!

It is easier to get a meeting with the Pope than find a buyer for a Barchetta!

I think they are cool cars, but in reality they do not have a roof, so they are so impractical.... unless u live southern CA.

If the new 575 replacement comes out with a Spyder version, I think it will be the nail in the coffin.

I think these cars are heading to sub $200 very, very soon.

Maybe at $125,000 they will have a following...

5. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i have no real, valuable input for this thread, so i'll just post pictures that i think are cool... :D

124294 is the black on black 550 Barchetta (picture courtesy Ferraris-Online); i don't know the serial number of the F40, but if someone else does, i'd be very happy to find out... :)

6. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    This is obviously a "model specific" discussion so I moved it from the "Not Model Specific" forum, leaving a redirect in the "Super Ferraris" forum along the way.

7. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    great analysis!!!!! are you a collector and or an exotic car broker?...i mean an broker of exotic cars, not an exotic car broker!!!!

8. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    i agree with Chris on this one. i know of a 550 barchetta that sat on my local dealerships show room for over 6 months before it found a new home. meanwhile i know it is not a F40 but they had a F50 which was sold in less than two weeks.

Unfortunately due to the roof restriction the 550 barchetta is not practical just like the Murcie Barchetta, i wonder how quickly they will tank?

9. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    i am so confused!!!! i was lucky to get the thread correctly on a ferrari forum!!!

10. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    mccprivate,
    Great analysis - I agree wholeheartedly.

In answer to the initial question, I think the F40 will be worth more in the future. I'm 32 years old and know a lot of like minded peers who do and will have money in the future. We all lust after the F40 and simply "like" the 550 Barchetta.

The 550 Barchetta is a great car but it doesn't have the same passion/lust quotient as an F40.

11. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Have ya seen the 550 Barchetta with the roof up??!! Pass me the sick bucket. The roof up is not often discused if at all, i wonder why.....a bit like the emperis cloathing maybe?

12. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    it is fugly!!!!!i image the car sits with the top down , or off as it may be, in most garages

13. mccprivate

mccprivate Karting

Jan 15, 2004
    Not an exotic car broker or dealer. Just have a very unhealthy obsession with automobiles like many on this site.

Brett

14. mccprivate

mccprivate Karting

Jan 15, 2004
    If they make that 575 Spyder (glass hardtop convertible; not really sure but a few guys in town already have deposits on them) the 550 barchetta should be worth less than the 575 Spyder. This may only be the case if they produce a limited number similar to the 550 Barchetta.

Example would be the 250 California Spyder long-wheelbase vs. the 250 California Spyder short-wheelbase. Average SWB Cal Spyder is worth about $1 million more than the average LWB Cal Spyder.

NNO, thanks for the 550 barchetta pics. You have to admit it looks beautiful in black!

I would buy the F40 if you can. It will always be popular like the MB Gullwing.

15. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I had one of the first 550 barchetta to land in the US; i drove the car for two years and sold it at a loss. Whatever you believe about the "limited" availability of such a car, it is not a collectible and probably will never be (unless you wait long enough for even more mundane cars to be desirable simply because of their time period, styling or power output, eg, American muscle cars, which, with the exception of a few rare hemi-cars, Copo camaros, and Yenko specials, had very little of intrinisc value to them until the tide rose with that generation's greying and nostalgic desire).
    The F-40 is a "special" car because, like the 288GTO, and the F-50, it was not only produced in limited numbers, but had as its purpose over the top performance, with little compromise.

Not disparaging the Barchetta here; in fact, if it keeps sinking, i may just buy another one. But, i'd be reluctant to tie up my money in such a car based on the prospect that its an investment. If you live in a fair climate, buy one to drive! They are terrific GT cars, with oodles of linear power and great comfort. They aren't bad looking, either. (Mine was also black/black and featured in R&T and on the cover of Forza- black does much to diminish the disproportionate size of the rear end, imho). Regards.

16. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I seriously adore the 550 Barchetta. I think its one of the most sensual cars from the past 20 years. Its pointless which makes it a must have.

But i dont think it will ever match the Aura of the F40 , even if there are 3 times more F40s than barchettas.

In europe , you can get a 550B for less than 200 000 euros.

17. Scuderia_Ferrari

Scuderia_Ferrari Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    #17 Scuderia_Ferrari, Sep 20, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I love how it looks with the Hard top on..looks like a GTO 64 .

19. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I agree the 550 Barchetta is a terrible car. Why would anyone want one. If you own one sell it quick or loose your shirt. They are u l g y ................... Get the F40

................... (waiting on the sidelines to buy one cheap)

I (heart) 550 Barchetta

20. garysp7

garysp7 Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I think if you are concerned about future appreciation, I would be choosing the F40. If you want a car to drive daily or even on the weekends, I think the Barchetta is a better choice.
    My friends F40 is such a radical car, even a Sunday drive is almost ludicrous unless you are planning on just blasting on the roads. Forget about a trip to the grocery store in it. No room for groceries. You really even need to take your wallet out of your pocket to get in the thing, and don't even think of leaning on the door when entering or exiting. You will bend it right off the hinges. It is a great car for the track and looking at and polishing.
    gary

21. zakeen

zakeen Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Czech Republic
    Why dont you have a vote here and I am sure 80% ++ will pick the F40. None ferraris lovers know what a F40 is, but they wont know what a Barchetta is.

Also the F40 could be sold international I beleive. In Australia we drive on the wrong side of the road and you could find a buyer here for a F40, but no way you could sell a Barchetta here in Australia from the states.

F40: broke records, was the first of the FX0 serise, is a real track race car.
    Barchetta: what did that do?

It looks like you have the money to buy both but you want the Barchetta and you want us to convince you to buy the Barchetta, sorry for you its not working. Just buy the Barchetta if you want it!

22. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I live in So Cal, so the risk of rain is low and the need for a decent roof no matter how ugly, is not issue for me as well.

I too have been eyeing a Barcehtta for a while...just waiting for the prices to fall some more. My guess is when the 575 Spider comes out, it will depress the Barchetta even more, same thing when the 430 Spider comes out.

For me it will be a toss up between the Barchetta and 360 Spider in a year or so.

MB

23. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

The F40 is the perfect car for tie shopping !

24. garysp7

garysp7 Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I agree. That is about all that will fit in it.
    You will have to leave your passenger at home though and use the seat for your wallet and tie:))

25. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I’m sorry gentlemen, but I believe the F40 will lose value as its technical and speed advantage diminishes as newer more potent models come out. The Barchetta on the other hand will continue to drop in price until it reaches a point at which its limited numbers and more classic appearance will give it buoyancy in the market