Best/Cheapest Health Insurance? | FerrariChat

Best/Cheapest Health Insurance?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Cicero, Sep 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cicero

Cicero Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    Probably not going to have this job much longer so will need to get me some insurance for family. What is best place, plan, price etc? God I fear the cost....:(

2. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Assuming you'll be looking for another job, you may be better off going with COBRA. You're wise to fear the cost.

3. Cicero

Cicero Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    wont' be looking for another job..had my fill of that.

4. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    COBRA is your friend. 18 months federally mandated. but it sure ain't free.

some states have extensions to the cobra rules - like california which has CalCOBRA that extends coverage for an additional 18 months.

doody.

5. Speed Racerette

Speed Racerette Formula 3

May 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    She wants Revenge
    Try Unicare...I used them instead of Cobra a couple of years ago in TX. They were almost half the price for family coverage. I actually had some claims - office visits, prescriptions and they were covered without any problems/paperwork.

They have a website online.

Good luck!

6. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    one word of caution (with no dispersions on unicare - i wouldn't know them from a hole in my head (of which i have many)) buying insurance on the open market. one of the benefits of going COBRA is that you're tied into your previous employer's plan. it is virtually impossible for the insurer to cancel your coverage during those 18 months (or longer if your state has coverage in excess of the feds - like CA). whereas if you buy on the open market you might be subject to pre-existing condition clauses, and they may have various rights to cancel your policy if they feel you're too expensive.

again, i don't know the rules in TX and i'm certain i don't know jack about the insurers down there and what they do and don't cover and under what time constraints. just tossing that out for sake of completeness.

doody.

7. Cicero

Cicero Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    how does corba work? never had to use it.

8. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    search the net - tons of data on COBRA.

once you leave your employer, you have 60 (maybe only 30?) days to elect COBRA. your previous employer charges you the full cost of the plan monthly. you pay your previous employer (or their agent - lots of companies exist now to manage this administrative hassle for companies) and you stay on their health plan. if you have a family, assume it'll cost you on the order of $1000 a month.

federal law dictates they have to permit this UNLESS they meet certain criteria, generally of size (number of employees) - that is, if they're tiny they might be exempted.

they have to let you extend your health insurance for up to 18 months under federal law.

doody.

9. Speed Racerette

Speed Racerette Formula 3

May 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    She wants Revenge
    Doody-

You are correct re: pre-existing conditions. My family is fortunate not to have any so we didn't have an issue qualifying for Unicare. If you have pre-existing conditions like diabetes or anything else or that needs ongoing care, you will have probably no choice but to go via COBRA for coverage or the new insurer require a waiver to exclude coverage on specific items.

10. Cicero

Cicero Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    I just quit.

Talked to HR Director. Going to do cobra for 3 months then switch to another provider with and indemnity policy. Cost is about $1100 a month now. That is just insane. No wonder there are millions without coverage.

What I am afraid of is how the hell do you self employed people make enough money for a family, big house, fancy car and insurance!!!

11. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    ehealthinsurance.com is a good site to shop for insurance. You do have to enter some information, but they don't call and bug you and once you enter your info, family, etc. you can pick what kind of coverage you're looking for and compare prices.

I had a family of 6 on decent care for about $450/month with a $500/1500 deductable and it covered office visits and perscriptions outside of the deductable. However, no pregnancy and there was a 12-month pre-existing condition clause (IE, if you were treated for it in the past and it came up in the next 12-months you were on your own - more for major illness like diabetes, cancer, heart disease, etc.).

12. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Jim, can you get coverage through your wifes job? Leaving a job usually qualifies as a 'life altering event' and should make you eligible.

Since you quit I assume your businesses on the side are doing pretty well?

13. Cicero

Cicero Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    Got a preggo wife so I will stick with my current coverage til that comes and goes. Wife has no job jim..she quit to be with kid/kids. Pretty scary right now, but I gotta do what I gotta do. Worse case I go broke and start over. Real estate is going well minus some bumps, but I can't devote enough time to it and stay here, btu I hate to leave and give up the steady paycheck.

Seriously watching that latest beheading video moved me. Made me realize your life can end quickly and not in a way planned so don't assume you'll have next year to do your thing. I already have regrets and don't want any more. My dad also died at 40 and I am 34 so I see that date looming on the horizon.

Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'.

14. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Again? Congrats on that.

15. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy

Cic!

PM ME! I may be able to help you out! (Advice is only a PM away!)

PD

16. B.Ratcliff

B.Ratcliff Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 23, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    B. Ratcliff
    Unicare is not a bad piece of advise, they are a pain to deal with but its the cheapest thing around. Your cobra at $1100 a month is pretty steep. Just make sure you take the cobra up front and dont cancel it untill your new coverage is approved or you risk being left with nothing. You might also try Fortis or American National for health insurance, premium is a little higher and the plan is a little better.