alfa of tacoma? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

alfa of tacoma?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by jbrosseau, Dec 15, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aeroengineman

Aeroengineman Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    Got my '97 355 Spider back from Tonkin. Drove it from Portland and both days this weekend. No squawks. They treated me fairly on the price and in view of the fact that I had to buy a whole new clutch, flywheel, bellhousing, bearings and seals for the car for $5300 parts and labor they gave me concessions on some of the other stuff which took the sting out of that surprize. I think they really wanted to have a satisfied customer from Seattle. Based on my experience I would definitely take my car there again. The important thing is, fingers crossed, everything works with no call backs.

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Dave,
    Sounds like a good experience at RTGT. Like you said, the price is of little consequence if the work is not satisfactory. Sounds like (so far) you have won on both fronts! :)

Regards,
    Dave

3. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I can understand replacing a clutch and flywheel as they are consumable-type of parts, but the bellhousing? Was it cracked or damaged? Not compatible with the "new" clutch/FW combo? Just curious...

4. Aeroengineman

Aeroengineman Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    I think I missspoke Here is the list of parts they replaced AND RELATED LIST PRICES (EA)=
    1 FRT OUT BELLHSNG 12.00
    1 157754 CLUTCH 746.37
    1 159507 FLYWHEEL 3199.50
    1 136957 BEARING 123.08
    1 104984 O RING 1.88
    3 137249 SNAP- RINGS 10.45
    2 121813 O RING 1.32
    1 FRT IN CLUTCH 71.36
    1 143178 O RING 10.07
    1 177784 KIT BEARING 1017.06
    1 131651 SEALING RING 51.90

THIS IN ADDITION TO THE LABOR IS WHAT IT COSTS IF YOU BURN THE CLUTCH UP IN ONE OF THESE. I knew when I bought the car with 6200 miles on it and it had bald rear tires and clutch soot on the transaxle cover there was a clutch liability I was absorbing. The prior owner was a dot-comer who bought the car to show off at his 10th year reunion and didn't care how he drove it. I guess I didn't get as good a deal on the car as I thought, but its in good shape now.

My word to the wise is to baby the clutch in these but don't slip it!

That flywheel is so expensive I think I'll have it chromed and mounted in my garage!!!

5. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    "baby those clutches?" I am gald you said that cuz I have been side stepping my clutch at 8k RPMs, boy what a rush though.

Who ever said that the 3x8 is built like a brick was right. I drive my vehicles very hard and my 308 can take more than I can dish out.

What can you guys tell me about the steering with the throttle deal, I didnt believe it at first but man how true it is.

What are the dynamics to this situation. Any thing to do with camber and weight?

6. Grigio 512TR

Grigio 512TR Karting

Nov 13, 2002
    Where's Diamond Head
    AOT of Carlo and Lino were very professional, reasonable in price, fanatical and love to work on Ferraris. Had the major service done by Carlo and some other things like the insall of the Tubi, etc...and I was very happy with their service. Needed to state my two cents and give credit where credit is due.

7. f360racer

f360racer Karting

Sep 14, 2004
    Renton, WA
    Full Name:
    PJ Z

8. tim355

tim355 Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    I had a bad experience with FOS. I own a 1995 355 with a sticking throttle issue. They replaced the quadrant and charged me 8 hours to re-balance the banks. Got a call from them that they still have runability concerns and want to do a leak down check. I declined. ( figured they were just looking for a reason to say I had a valve guide issue) When I went to pick up the car the throttle was still sticking and the car was running rougher than when i took it to them. 2 grand later and I still have a sticking throttle. I wouldn't take my bicycle to them.

9. ToddB

ToddB Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver B.C./OC
    Full Name:
    Todd
    that sucks....I feel that in todays world.....If you are not semi experinced in whatever the matter is..... you have a high chance of being taken advantage of..... its really to bad

10. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    That IS too bad, but in their defense, were any claims/warranty made that this would fix the problem? From monitoring the threads here on F-chat, there is a lot more to fixing this problem than upgrading that one part. I have heard that the sheath on the throttle cable can wear through (and with few miles) which can contribute. Cleaning the throttle body (s?) helps too. It has also been surmised that there may be no way to completely fix this issue with the 95's...though it can be reduced.

11. CMac

CMac Formula Junior

May 10, 2004
    Gig Harbor Wash.
    Full Name:
    Chris McDonald
    Unfortunately mine has begun to do the same thing.....going to stop by Alfa when Carlo gets back to have a look.....I'll keep you all posted!

12. f360racer

f360racer Karting

Sep 14, 2004
    Renton, WA
    Full Name:
    PJ Z
    I met Carlo the other day and I will be bringing in the car for a "PPI" after the purchase though. It will get a new w/p as the belt melted. Probably its the w/p I can't really tell as there is another belt on the pump that I have no idea on how to remove to check for a seized pump. Anyhow on the 25th its going to Alfa for a thorough checkup by Carlo. Hope its not expensive as my wife loves the car still up till now possibly!!

Philip

13. f360racer

f360racer Karting

Sep 14, 2004
    Renton, WA
    Full Name:
    PJ Z
    Just an update on my cars visit to Carlo. I picked up the car yesterday and does it purr now! The waterpump was toast and it now has the 328 pump. Carlo did a 30K check and a good inspection on the rest of the car. He found the left rear brake was seized. He replaced the caliper and turned the rear rotors. The fronts were fine so nothing done to them at this time. There was also some damage to an aluminum pipe for the radiator and this was fixed. Strangely the rotor or distributor cap installed previously was for the carburated model and not the high energy version on the GTSi. Carlo was surprised it ran at all. There was also an issue with one of the wires and he remade just the one that needed attention. Carlo looked and fixed a few other items and I am quite happy with the cars first visit.

My wife Liz came with to pick up the car and he took the time to show and explain all the work involved and we were quite happy and pleased with the work. Carlo kept me in the loop the whole time concerning estimates and needed work. Carlo prioritized all items so I could choose all or none. Considering this car is new to me and all details for the history not available as much as I would like. I am quite happy with the car and purchase and I am happy to have Carlo in the area who is so knowledgeable. The car now has been "Zeroed" out and I am confident it will be a lot of fun for my family.

Carlo also made available to those of us who live up north, when we want the oil changed or other simple service done to have him drive the car from Southcenter and return it that evening. This gives him a chance to drive the car to hear and feel the car once in awhile. I think this is a great idea as we owners after awhile attribute some noises as normal and an experienced mechanic would not.

Thanks everyone for posting info on this subject to let others in our area find qualified and trustworthy sources for all things Ferrari. My first inquiery to another mechanic was for an estimate of $12500. This was only for a 30k check!!!! This did include new tires all around but you can only wonder what the rest was for. My Ferrari Time Schedule book lists a 30K check at 19 hours. At a $100 dollar an hour labor charge that was posted that would only be $1900. Plus parts of course. I can buy a brand new engine for less than that total. Owners beware and unless you take it to a known and recommended mechanic you can be sure you will be taken for a ride.

We are lucky to have Marrenello just down the road in Tacoma.

Philip

14. Adrenln328

Adrenln328 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2003
    Kingston, Wa, USA
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Yes, we have a real treasure in Carlo. He does what is necessary to keep you out of trouble out on the highway, but won't run the bill up on "make work" issues.
    I sometimes think we should have "Carlo appreciation event"

15. RED GTS

RED GTS Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gungnir
    He's the best, I cant count the times I got ripped off or had to have work done twice before I met Carlo.

16. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Dittos all around on Carlo. One can trust Carlo 100% to do the what needs to be done, at a fair price and great work. Highly recommended! :)

17. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    +1

18. BritBlaster

BritBlaster F1 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    2+ years after the last post... Scott, you mastering the art of procrastination ? ;)

"I feel very passionately about this subject, and I'd like to add my 2-cents after I've given it a couple of years or so of considered thought" :)