Washing my new car | FerrariChat

Washing my new car

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Rerun, Sep 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rerun

Rerun Karting

Jun 16, 2004
    I just bought my first Ferrari, a 348ts. I love it. Now are there any tricks I should be aware of when washing/detailing a Ferrari. The engine is a little more "exposed" so should I lay towels on top of the engine or maybe trashbags so water doesn't get into the electronics? I've heard stories about problems after a wash? I just want to be extra careful. Thank you!

2. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    My God man you can't have water touch the car. Mine got caught in a rainstorm last year year and it was a total loss :) :)

3. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I was going to suggest not to get it wet, but I see Sparta has already informed you of the dangers.

LOL

Actually, I shouldn't laugh.... I was the same way the first time I washed mine. I like the microfiber towels to wash and dry.

4. Rerun

Rerun Karting

Jun 16, 2004
    Hehe :) I knew it was coming!

5. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
  6. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    After you've microfiber dried what you can, try using a leaf blower to get the water out of all of those spots you can't reach with a towel. Or do it the old fashioned way -- fire up the engine and go for a quick high speed ride, then back home to wipe off the hidden water that has now run out all over the place.

7. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    OK, give the guy a break already. I'm thinking about that new filter thing -as seen on TV, connects to your hose to filter minerals out. You know: "never have to dry" technology. Comments on that device? Forget who makes it but Pep Boys will have it.

8. pflowers

pflowers Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Dothan, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Paul Flowers
    I purchased a portable water softner on Ebay. It is about the size of a scuba tank and attaches between the faucet and the hose. Makes a big difference in eliminating all traces of water spots. Use a good brand of liquid car wash. I am partial to Meguiars products.

9. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Mr Clean Auto Dry makes it and it works fine on 1989 Black GTS's if you follow the directions. It is all I use.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11758&highlight=truck+dry+clean

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12284&highlight=autodry

10. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Mr. Clean Auto Dry does work exceptionally well, i didn't believe what i had seen on the commercial so i went out and bought one to see how good it really was. I was amazed, so much easier and quicker i washed my car! And no hand drying at all!

11. drsrock

drsrock Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    Colts Neck, NJ
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Unbelievable!!! great detail.

In addition I would drive down to Fla. and let the next hurricane strip the wax buildup, and clean out those hard to reach places!

12. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    A tip of the Hatlo hat to mcharness!

13. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Rerun - Normal water washing won't hurt it. However, I do concours and I keep water out because of "spotting" on the engine, which just means more cleaning time for me.

I built a plexiglass cover that fits between the deck and the engine and use it when I wash.

Here's the write up I did with pix.... it's old F-Chat so you have to read the thread from the bottom to the top...

http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/251280/230168.html