Why is Ferrari thinking of using "Maserati" engines | FerrariChat

Why is Ferrari thinking of using "Maserati" engines

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by jlmainusa, Sep 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jlmainusa

jlmainusa Rookie

Feb 4, 2004
    Mendham, NJ USA
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Condie
    I keep hearing that Ferrari is planning on using "Maserati" engines in some models (430?) Even if they are sister firms I find this a worrying trend. To me, the essence of a Ferrari is its motor and any suggestion of using something other than the real deal is alarming. I could understand Maserati saying they are using Ferrari engines - to give more spice to their marketing, but not the other way around! Anyone else concerned?

While I'm at it, the whole Maserati brand and product range confuses me. I would have thought the obvious vehicle to build would be an SUV (think Porsche), branded as a Maserati (we don't want to sully Ferrari's brand) and power it with a Ferrari V12. That would sell like donuts!

I vote for keeping the Maserati product and brand well away from Ferrari.

2. seinfeld

seinfeld Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2004
    Diamond Bar/Cali
    Full Name:
    Gary
    i totally agree. I thought it was the other way around....maserati using ferrari engines.....now that would be more logical in a sense.

3. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    Ferrari designed the engine in the Maser, so in reality the Maser has a Ferrari engine.....

4. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    That was my understanding... and I say about the timing chains it's about darn time they modernize!

5. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The masers use Ferrari motors designed for them. The 430 motor is not likely to share any parts other than studs (maybe). I'm sure one of the masers selling points is the motor with "FERRARI" stamped on it but maser owners will be mistaken if they think it is the same as the 430 motor in any way other than # of cylinders.

DAve

6. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    The Maserati engine was developed by Ferrari, as the others have said, for the Maser range but also with the intention to drop hotter versions in Fcars.

Maserati, the GT and Spyder, were always aimed at the 911 (997), Jag XKR, and Merc SL and don't tread on the toes of Ferrari as far as I can see.

Only the top end versions of these cars (SL55 and P turbo) compete with Ferrari. The fact that the SL55 and Pturbo look like the standard 997 and SL350 ,the Maserati GT competitors, dilutes their brand image as far as I can see.

Cheers
    Simon

7. ART360

ART360 Guest

My understanding is that the Mauser engine was designed by Ferrari. However the engine, as used in the Mauser is an iron alloy (I think), while that engine in the Ferrari is alum. There is a difference between the two motors. The design is later than the 360 design and should work quite a bit better.

Art

8. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    As I understand it, the 360 was the last Ferrari to use an engine based on the original V8 introduced in the 308GT4?

9. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

As a side I understand that Maserati are redesigning the current coupe and spyder to be introduced as an new '06 model. Anyone have any info on that?

The Quattroporte is certainly a step in the right direction for them in terms of design etc.

10. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    As the owner of both a Ferrari and a Maserati I do not think that there is any reason to worry. The Maserati (at least the coupe) is in my opinion the best GT car you can buy for under 100k. As for Ferrari it would cost amost twice as much to buy a 430 (which is the entry level car) and two and a half times as much to get a Ferrari GT type. I think it is great Ferrari makes the engine and I can see no problem with that at all.

11. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    They are not the same. To say such would be a gross simplification.

Starting with the basics:

180 degree crank

Heads will be completely different.

The block simply happens to be similar.

12. JOEL D.

JOEL D. Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Joel DeLuca
    If anyone has been to Maranello lately, you would see that Maserati engines are built and assembled at the Ferrari plant, alongside Ferrari V-8's. They are then shipped down the road to Maserati in Modena where they are dyno tested and installed. The Maserati 4.2 is a Ferrari designed and built engine and has no relationship whatsoever to previous Maserati motors. Where the point of departure is with F430 engines is beyond my knowledge. Nevertheless, the Maserati engine is a Ferrari product, as is most of the car since the bodies are built at Scaglietti and painting done at Maranello.

PS. I have a couple of Ferraris and drive a Maerati Coupe as a daily driver and highly reccommend it as an alternative to a Mercedes CL, or SL or to a BMW 6 series.

13. FerrariFlip

FerrariFlip Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    Bonaire,Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Philippe Haak
    I don't know where you have heard this but I think its noncens!

14. millerphatty

millerphatty Karting
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Davenport, IA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Miller
    For anyone who has anything to do with Ferrari or Maserati you should all know that this is the best possible solution. Maserati is one of the best known racing car companies and is in the top eschelon with ferrari and porsche. So the best thing is to keep them below the Marquis Ferrari name. Porsche only makes the SUV because Dr. Porsche was very fond of AWD and his first two prototypes had AWD. Remember he was trying to make a peoples' car first and then came the performance aspect when he branded his own cars. The SUV is great but there should never be a ferrari SUV!!!

15. Lanikai

Lanikai Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Will Campbell
    Anticipating the F430, Ferrari made a decission to develop a block they could use/test/develop in the Maserati. The similarities begin and end with the block that as we all know was developed into a 4.2 liter motor. The 430 motor revealed a capacity increase to 4.3 liters and lots of Ferrari tricks. Ferrari and Maserati motors are designed and built at the same engine plant as stated earlier.
    By the way, the new Q-porte is nicely powered by the same 4.2 liter motor we enjoyed in the Maserati Coupes and Spyders.

16. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Did anyone notice how much torque the Maser engine puts out compared to the 360? It's a great block to base the F430 on. I am really glad that they're doing it.

17. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    My 1967 Ferrari has timing chains. Is that modern?

18. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    And, if memory serves, the 308 engine was based upon the Daytona 12 cyl engine...just whack off 1/3 the cyl and install a rubber timing belt...

19. cavallino

cavallino Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Alain
    Maserati engines are created and assembled in the Ferrari Factory by Ferrari.