X Prize & beyond | FerrariChat

X Prize & beyond

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by WILLIAM H, Sep 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Paul Allen & Space Development Corp will launch their first attempt for the X prixe Sept 29 with the 2nd flight in the 1st week of Oct.

To date their Space Ship One is the first privately funded,designed & privately owned aircraft to break the sound barrier, as well as reaching over 62 miles in altitude

To win the X Prize they must fly over 62 miles twice within a set period of time, 2 weeks I think, w 3 people on board

Paul & SPDV are already thinking beyond the SS1. They are designing a real spacecraft that can reach the International Space Station, it will be a 21st C space shuttle a lot cheaper & better than NASA's 1970s version. This new spacecraft is to be called the DREAM CHASER

2. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I think they'll do it, they'll win the X Prize.

3. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Maybe Micorsoft will take over NASA :)

4. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    That might not be a good idea..... a quarter of the time I launch a program in Windows it crashes ;)

5. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Whats the X prize?

6. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    http://www.xprize.com

Its simialir to the prize that Chalres Lindberg won when he was the first man to fly solo from the US to Paris

The X prize is a $10M prize for the 1st team to build a spacecraft w private funds and take 3 people at least 62.5 miles into the atmosphere, Thats considered to be the edge of space, and do it twice within 2 weeks

Paul Allen (Micorsoft), Burt Rutan & Space Development are currently the team with the best chance of winning.

7. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    This looks interesting. Thanks William for clearing it all out for me...