Anyone use Rust-Oleum epoxy on their garage floor? | FerrariChat

Anyone use Rust-Oleum epoxy on their garage floor?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by battman, Sep 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. battman

battman Karting

Dec 1, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Jeff Batt
    Hello all,

With a little luck, I'll be moving into a new house in the next month or two. 1st order of business: setting up the new garage. I was looking for a cheap way to protect the floor, make clean up easy, and of course look good. Sadly, this is not a show garage, I'll be working on cars in there and it will see snow/salt covered tires, etc.

I was thinking about using the Rust-Oleum epoxy. I searched through the archives and found a little info, but curious to see if anyone recommends (or doesn't recommend) it.

Other suggestions welcomed!

THANKS!

Battman

2. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Yeah - it sucks!! Seriously, I bought two kits at Home Depot last year; it peeled/flaked etc. within months. I followed the directions to the letter. Extremely frustrating...............

3. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Jeff, Behr paints also make a garage floor paint, available from Home Depot. DONT BUY IT. It sucks. My did the same thing started peeling. I emailed the Co. and sent them a sample from my floor. They said it was bad primer from the factory and sent me a check for reimbursment. That was cool of them but what a pain in the rear.

4. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    Get industrial epoxy.

Grainger sells it. www.grainger.com

Search for 9100 system epoxy.

Need to clean the floor well. Then treat it with the acid to open up the surface of the concrete. The concrete needs to be very dry and aged for 28+ days.

The 18' wide rollers make a better final appearance- less ridges.

With proper prep the epoxy will stick great.

To keep it from being too slippery broadcast some aluminum oxide on the surface. Grainger sells bags of it for a couple bucks.

5. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Is there a purpose for this? The only thing i do to my floors is walk on it...

6. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I have had Rust-oleum epoxy on my garage floor for about 2 years now and it's great. I'm in PA so the temps vary from 0 to mid 90's. Oil and fluids wipe right up; I also slide my jack across it with no problems. It also looks cool since the kit includes a bag of paint chips you can throw onto the still wet floor to give it that professional look. I'd recommend it.

7. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    I put it down on my new garage about 3 months ago. Seems to be fine. Don't know about the long run but I looks great and seems to be holding up well.

8. sduke

sduke Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2003
    The Hub City, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steven D
    I have painted three garage floors. I have used Rustoleum, Sherwin Williams, and U-Coat-It. All three produced good results.

I have posted pictures of my last floor (which is with U-Coat-It), so I won't bore everyone with a repost. I feel like the U-Coat-It produced a bit better gloss.

The whole secret is painstaking preparation. The concrete must be completely free of oil and grease, antifreeze, and dirt. You cannot shortcut this and have a good result. I acid etched my last floor twice to make sure I had good adhesion. I feel like a portion of the better result with the U-Coat-It may simply be that my preparation got better each time I did a new floor. The prep time easily took five times as long as the actual painting.

I had a bit of hot tire peel with the Sherwin Williams, and the Rustoluem stained a bit from the tires. The U-Coat-It kit was first rate and I really like the clear sealer that went down on top of the color. The kit came with mixing buckets, crack patch, two cleaners, gloves, complete instructions, free support line, and step abrasive if you have some steps to paint.

That said, good prep will make any brand work and look good.

9. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

True, I used the Behr stuff and short cut it and the stuff is not sticking. One thing though, the Behr crap is water based. I think that it'd be better to have some kind of oil based stuff. Home D didn't have an oil based product.

10. WAR EGL

WAR EGL Formula Junior

May 8, 2003
    SE Connecticut
    Full Name:
    TWS
    I used the Rustoleum product, and in general found the results to be good. I suspect, however, that I am not the typical user. First, I degreased and then power washed the floor. Then, rather than using the citric acid supplied in the kit, I opted to etch with phosphoric acid. Muriatic would have been a second acceptable acid, but I chose not to use the citric since its unlikely that it will adequately etch the surface to ensure long term adhesion. After all that, I let the epoxy cure for 9 months before parking a car on it. I didn't intend it to be 9 months, but that's how long it took to find the right F-Car. I suspect that your average individual isn't willing to wait that long before parking on paint, but I am sure that it added to the durability of my application.

The only issue I ended up with is some peeling where an unlevel section of the floor let water in under the garage door. The constant pooling and evaporation caused the paint to peel in that spot. I know that it was the pooling and sitting that was the problem because the paint outside the garage door that is constantly exposed to the weather did not show any signs of peeling. Its been two years since I painted the floor, so it has seen significant temperature swings as I didn't add heat to the garage until after the paint was more than a year old. Other than the area that peeled due to the water, the floor was in excellent condition when I sold the house last month. Now I have a 104 year old unfinished garage. Looks like I need to start this process over as the Ferrari just doesn't look right sitting in a grungy garage.

TWS

11. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    #11 360CS, Sep 23, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

I beleive that Rust-o=leum is part of The RPM Group which also own Stoncor TREMCO etc etc etc Their products are of good quality :) A bit pricey i thought!!!!

13. Bluebya

Bluebya Rookie

Sep 19, 2004
    Norcross, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Marc
    #13 Bluebya, Sep 23, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. We did our garage floor back in june it was cleaned with the acid wash provided in the kit then it was painted and the flakes where thrown its still holding up well and looks great also wash's off really easy.

Just depends on how thick and how well you apply it and how well you clean and prep the surface.

15. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Interesting how we all get different results. I tried the balck and white stick tiles in my last garage and it was terrible... really bad. If you turned the tires on the way into the garage, the tiles would slide around and move. It looked great when I first put them down... but I would never use stick tiles ever again.

16. DN35

DN35 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    D. Norton
    Rustoleum sucks. It'll lift under hot tires. Spend the money and get one of the good kits.

17. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I haven't had any problems with the Rust-Oleum coating that I applied to my garage floor.

I bought the "solvent based" two part system, NOT the "water based" one and I degreased the floor with Simple Green and then acid etched it before applying the paint.

18. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Gary:
    Where did you buy the solvent based paint? And how much was it?
    Thanks.

19. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Either Lowe's or Home Depot and I think it was about $75 for the two gallon kit.