New Lotus Esprit?--------------------------- | FerrariChat

New Lotus Esprit?---------------------------

Discussion in 'British' started by tonyh, Sep 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Well, I think about this replacement more than any other, so I'm chomping at bit for actual spy shots.

Question that looms large is IF it is Toyota powerplant, how big, how efficient, alloy or cast, and will it be EGTT or G-GTE or EGZ or blah, blah, blah*?

*How to ID Toyota engine specs:

E = Electronic fuel injection
    F = Economy type engine with narrow angle head
    G = Double overhead cam
    Z = Supercharged
    T = Turbocharged (either single or twin)

3. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    Lets hope they source the tranny from somewhere other then Renault this time...

4. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I think a nice Lexus V8 would be a very robust engine. A TT Lexus engine should be something to see!

5. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Thats an older article. But there has been some chitchat about Lotus using the BMW v8 that was used in the M3, the 400 horse version. Then Lotus adding there own tuning and adding twin turbo's. But everything is still up in there air, including the design. They might not even call it Esprit.

6. McLaren_boy

McLaren_boy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    ATL but NOLA is home
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    I hope they use the 2UZFE (LS430 engine), it could certainly handle ~400 turbo-charged hp...

About those letters, if I may, I will add onto and change some of what you said.

All engines Toyota currently has in production are DOHC, so we can always assume DOHC. I.e., F & G heads are both DOHC.

E=EFI
    F=Four value, narrow angle values, designed for good low rpm response and strong torque
    G=Wide angle values, designed with performance in mind (usually 20% higher power coming from longer duration cams better suited for high rpm), but with a sacrifice in low end response and low end torque.
    Z=Aluminum head(s)
    T=Turbocharged
    #= the number of times the block has been changed/revised/modified, etc; i.e. '1' means the first time that block has been used
    second letter=block designation

For example:
    2JZ-GTE (Mrk IV Supra TT)

Revised version of the 'J' block with aluminum performance heads, turbo-charging, and EFI.

And
    1ZZ-FE (7th gen Celica GT)

1st use of 'Z' block (which is aluminum), with aluminum 'F' head, using EFI.

Maybe we can expect the current 2UZFE engine, or if we're lucky they will make something like a 2UZGTE...although its hard to believe Toyota spending the time & money to develop a turbo-charged V8 (up to their super-high quality & reliability standards) just for Lotus, maybe they would if they were planning to use it one of their own cars...

If I made any mistakes, please correct.

7. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The Gallardo and 430 both left the door open for a GREAT looking car. I hope Lotus hits a huge home run with their next car.

Is it just me?...or do you guys want something like the 308 or TR that just looks stunning from a mile away?

Gallardo and 430 are both great cars but neither really gets more than 50% of exotic car fans really excited by its shape.

8. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    lotustt - I don't think it was ever "supposed" to be called Esprit - rather, isn't it the replacement?

McLaren boy - thanks for nailing the heirarchy whatchamacallit of Toys.

Mark touched on something I'm sure I'm not alone in- Thanks in no small part to the "concept" pic - I keep envisioning this as somewhat of a cross between 360/430 and Gallardo with signature Esprit touches making this a 21st Century Lotus.

9. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    "The Gallardo and 430 both left the door open for a GREAT looking car. I hope Lotus hits a huge home run with their next car."

not mid engined, but an AMV8 S or something of that nature is pretty close! (needs the 500 HP though!)