308 York compressor | FerrariChat

308 York compressor

Discussion in '308/328' started by Morrie, Sep 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Morrie

Morrie Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Sarasota/Asheville
    I'm having a major service done on my new 308QV and hope to swap out the air compressor for a rotary.

Does anyone know what a perfectly good, stock York compressor is worth?

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Maybe $125US for a new one, the more valuable component is the single groove clutch assembly...I've lost one of mine to circumstances, and would purchase the compressor/clutch TOGETHER if that is what you are offering...

3. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The radial conversion was mentioned to me, as I rebuilt my stock system.

Somewhat troublesome to accomplish but will take much less power from the engine!!! :) :)

4. Zupra

Zupra F1 Rookie

Mar 31, 2004
    St Louis
    Full Name:
    Chesney
    what he said!

5. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Morrie,

Without a warranty, I don't think it's worth a lot. You might get $50 for it on Ebay.

6. Morrie

Morrie Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Sarasota/Asheville
    Thanks for the input folks. I was told that the York that was on the 308s was specially designed to withstand 7000 RPM and is no longer made. I thought it might be worth more as a result.

Meantime I'm having a hard time finding a Sanden rotary, though I have located a bracket.

Increased horsepower is a plus, but I plan to make the change because the Sandens put out a lot more cold air. I once drove a 328 with a rotary and the air was much stronger than other 328s I have driven.

Having said that, does anyone know where I can get a Sanden compressor?

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It's the same 10 Cu In. unit the 911s use.......no longer manufactured but readily available as rebuilt.

Carr Auto Parts in Houston has both York and Sandene.

The single groove clutch fits a John Deere.

8. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John

I hate to burst your bubble but a new compressor won't increase the air flow. The only way to do that would be to put in a new blower motor. A new compressor may make the system work more eficiently resulting in colder air though.

By the way, please keep us posted as I know I'm interested in this project myself in the future.

9. Morrie

Morrie Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Sarasota/Asheville
    The plot is getting thicker by the hour. One parts house I contacted said you can't put a rotary compressor in a 308 because the fuel tank gets in the way.

I have a friend who put one in a carbureted 308 and I don't know if the injected version would be any tighter.

I know they will go in a 328 because I have driven one.

If anyone here has done this installation, I'd be very interested in hearing about it. I think I'lll start a new thread on this.

10. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Hes wrong. I have put rotary compressors in my 308s. They fit and work much better. You will need new hoses to accomodate the Sanden and you will need to install the charge ports in the lines. Replace the drier and all of the o-rings too.

11. Morrie

Morrie Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Sarasota/Asheville
    Thanks for that good information, I was pretty sure it could be done.

I just got off the phone with Seve Carr in Houston, who has the compressors and brackets. He recommends the Sanden 709 with a double pulley. The bracket allows you to move the compressor into position where the belt lines up with one of the pulley grooves.

Is it necessary to run all new lines forward, or can you adapt the hoses in the rear?

12. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Maybe you can adapt them but I am not sure how. I ran all new lines. Plus I put my charge ports in my lines. My lines had to be longer to reach the Sanden ports.

13. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Steve Carr knows!!!!!!

New hoses are required, IIRC, because the connections are different.

Glad you found him......

14. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Hmmmm, beginning to think I should have fitted a Sanden compressor instead of the York. Gary Bobileff told me that the problem is not the compressor on 308's, but the evaporator unit under the dash. He has a modified custom evaporator he is selling for $500 bucks that is a bit larger and cools the 308 much better. He also said that the York compressor is definitely large enough for handling the AC requirements on a 308. I don't know if he is blowing sunshine up my *ss or not.

15. Morrie

Morrie Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Sarasota/Asheville
    My experience comes form owning a 328 which had pretty good air, and then driving one with the rotary compressor which was significantly better. I have driven several 328s with the York and none have been as good as the rotary. It also makes a neat noise as it spools up, at least I think so.

16. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Don't forget the stock 308 York style compressor robs lots of power.

17. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Thanks very much guys! My next question is, what part number for the sanden compressor, how much and I also do remember if I am correct here, is that I might need to modify the mounting bracket for the sanden to fit?

18. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Can you post his contact info. or PM me with it.

I just removed my York b/c the seal is leaking and I was going to replace it, put in a new drier and and retrofit to R134a.

New evaporator...hum....removing the vent louvers on the lower dash increases air flow as well. They are very restrictive. It lowers the upper airflow as well but their is a definite increase.

19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Carr Automotive
    13220 Hempstead Hwy (toward the back)
    713 690-2221

Did you get the air filters???????

When you get your A/C fixed come over and reinstall mine. The pieces are lying all around the garage.....

20. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Was I supposed to get you one too? oops, I've got two extra's in the garage. Alan was the only one who replied to me earlier (unless you're him and you changed your username!).

Don, Carr Auto has the sanden compressor ($249) and the brackets(~$50) and he also said you could probably remove the old fitting off the existing hoses and splice in some new ones to make it work.

I'm going to go by his place later this week and try to find a solution for myself as well. If I can convert to a quiter, less HP robbing system for the same money as a rebuilt York ($199 from Napa or New is $399) then I may go ahead and do this.

If it all works out, I'll be sure and post a thread with pics - ops, not subscribed so someone else will have to post pics - detailing the part numbers and work done.

21. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Morrie et all.

I was at Steve's shop today and came home with the parts I/We think will be required to make the Sanden Conversion.

I bought the compressor, adaptor bracket (which I may or may not use - more later), PAG oil for R134a conversion, some AC Flush, new fittings to cut/mount on the existing hoses and a new drier.

My quick hand fit leads me to believe the Sanden Rotary will fit just fine with the adapter. The drier is a UAC RD1134. The ports are the right size and it's a little smaller DIA than the Hansa that was on my car. However the ports are in-line where as the Hansa ports were not. If it does not fit I'm going to bring it back and we're going to search through his supply and see if we can find a better fit. If all else fails I'll call T-Rutlands and order the correct one for $90 (OUCH!!!).

I may also (at Steve's recommendation) remove the expansion valve and bring it to his shop to attempt to find a suitable replacement. It looks like the valve should come off fairly easy. The main reason for this is so I can flush out the entire system instead of just the condensor side (the evap side would require that I remove the valve in order to flush it and since I'm going this far I might as well do it all correctly). Steve said if I flush everything, and replace all the O-Rings then I'll be sure to have a really complete new/retro system and it will only cost a little bit more than I was already going to spend anyway (the cost of the exp. valve).

Unfortunately I've got Dad duties tonight so I will not be able to work on the system and provide more information.

The parts I bought were..
    Sanden Compressor - SD7H15 $269
    Drier (UAC RD1134) - $29.95
    York/Sanden Mount ** - $49.95
    PAG Oil, 22oz of AC Flush, new fittings ~ $33.50

Total Bill with Tax was $412.24.

He has the York compressor with out a clutch for $229 (so if you've got your clutch still you could buy this and attach yours). He could not find the correct clutch for the system nor the pulley so if you don't have it you'll have to find one from Ferrari (which I don't think they have) or come up with one somewhere else. Sorry, but right now I'm not going to part with mine until this project is done and I'm sure I can live w/o it - and even then I may keep it).

** If I had a camera I'd post a pic of the adapter. But it's basically a flat plate with two ears. The flat plate mounts flush against the existing York/Ferrari mounting bracket in oblong holes to facility alignment of the pulley/belt. The rotary Sanden mounts on the ears. Unfortunatly quick measurements lead me to believe that the system will only have mounting points on the top. I was hoping I could mount a second bracket on the bottom to give a more secure installation but I don't think I will have enough room between the existing brackets to mount 2-adapters and the new compressor. Since I have a neighbor with a plasma cutter, and a welder, I may make my own brackets to mount the system on so I can attach it at two points.

When all is said and done I'll be sure and document this for future owners/converts.

The Sanden is a much better compressor (According to Steve Carr) and he said I'll be much happier with this system over the York. The only small issue I see so far is that the pulley is slightly larger than the York and your AC belt will ride a little lower on the pulley, but not on the bottom so the belt/pulley will still be working like it's supposed too. Also, I'll need to find a shorter belt. Not to mention you car show guys will be losing points ;)

I'll dry fit everything tomorrow night and see if this is really going to work. If all looks good I will go cut my lines and install the new fittings (you will not need new lines - there is plenty of extra to cut off the existing fittings and install new R134 fittings/ports. You want to be sure and leave extra though so you can swing it out of the way when you do your belts - which should not be a big deal since it's 1/2 the size and WEIGHT of the York!).

22. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    I got it to fit. The stock belt is way to long. I'm going to find a replacement today and I'll let you know what I find.

To make it fit you have to shim the exiting AC bracket off of the block an extra 1/8"-3/16" or so. Also, shim the adaptor bracket away from the stock AC bracket about 1-washer or so (place a washer b/w the rubber mounts on the existing bracket and the new bracket). This helps the new pulley clear the cam cover and the existing AC bracket. This will also allow you to move the compressor in/out to align with the existing pulley.

One other thing I'm going to do is fabricate a 2nd bracket for the lower attachment points on the AC unit. You have to re-use the old lower bracket anyway to mount your belt tensioner pulley.

I'll try and find a camera and take some photo's.

23. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Also, my existing hoses will work as they are. I just had to remove the 90-deg fitting which attaches the hose to the old York style compressor and install a new R134 type fill connection in the line.

24. Morrie

Morrie Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Sarasota/Asheville
    Sean,

Great info. We start on mine this week and I'm going to print out all your posts and tack them to the garage wall.

25. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Good luck. I just finished getting everything back off. I'm going down to Steve's shop after lunch and he is going to help me put the new fittings on. I didn't want to mess with that myself. I may still have to cut the lines. I could not get the suction side 90° fitting off the hoses! Corroded on there so it may be best to just cut the lines and put in new fittings. Steve was going to let me borrow his crimp tool, but I think it will be better if I just have him do it.

Then it's off to NAPA to find a replacement belt. Looks to be about 2" shorter than the old one. I hope to have everything installed tonight, then get it to a shop to vacuum and charge the system tomorrow.