Rubberized interior coating repair? | FerrariChat

Rubberized interior coating repair?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by f355al, Sep 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f355al

f355al Karting

Jun 23, 2004
    Los Angeles area
    Full Name:
    Uncle Al
    Has anyone found a way of repairing the thin black rubberized coating as found on the door handles, center instrument cluster bezel, steering wheel support shroud, etc. of the F355? It is easy to scratch and begins to look scruffy.

Thanks in advance, Al.

2. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    Never heard of them doing that (sarcasm) Take a look through the archives. There is a ton of info on what to do. You can clean them with a ton of scrubbing or you can replace with stock parts or some people on this site have been manufacturing new pieces that won't gunk up

3. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank

geez, next somebody is going to say the 348 gets gummy switches and door handles :)

4. pflowers

pflowers Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Dothan, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Paul Flowers
    I have used lacquer thinner and a nylon scrub pad to clean the gum off of the parts then spray them with Krylon simiflat black paint. They will look like new. It is a messy job but worth the effort.

5. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    A friend of mine w a 348 used pure alcohol to romove the gummy surface.

6. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY

Check the thread I started about the center console bubbling.

I've done a bunch of this on my 355. Door handles, steering column shroud, switches, 1/4 panel on door frame, cig. tray, center console .......

Some had to be stripped with methyl ethyl ketone ... I tried alcohol .. didn't work too well for me.

Some i used a strong blade on to scrape the mess off, then followed with wet/dry paper.

very very time consuming. Pained with satin black ... looks fine.

Check the referenced thread for some pictures ... my bits were pretty bad.

Pete

7. f355al

f355al Karting

Jun 23, 2004
    Los Angeles area
    Full Name:
    Uncle Al
    I did the homework and did an archive search before doing the post, (using the terms "Rubberized Interior Coating Repair") and came up with zilch.

(Anyone have any better search terms??? I'd love to see that archive.)

One solution I have successfully used on METAL only parts is that I had the ash tray lid powder coated with the flattest black they had in stock, and it is a great solution for that kind of part. A steal at $10 a shot.

However, it won't work on plastic parts like the steering wheel hub surround, center instrument bezel, etc. due to the process temperatures used - kinda melts the housing).

How can Ferrari do this kind of work on one of their cars and get away with it, I wonder.

Thanks in advance, Al (first time poster) C.

8. 355Aloha

355Aloha Karting

Feb 15, 2004
    Honolulu Hawaii
    Full Name:
    John N
    "How can Ferrari do this kind of work on one of their cars and get away with it, I wonder."

They Do. WE LET THEM.

The cats, headers, ECUs, thenmal couple, bubling AC switches, Air Bag shrinkage in the corners, wire harness througth fire wall the short and AC fuses that melt.

If we all stick together may be we can gang up on Ferrari on these problems. If you go throught the old Ferrari Chat threads we have all the evidence we need.

Does another Ferreri chat person out in the community know how we can get together and do somethig about these peoblems.

No other car producer in the world get away with this type of customer .-.-.

9. f355 Nashville

f355 Nashville Karting

Feb 5, 2004
    Nashville, Tn.
    Full Name:
    Ting
    there is a spray called tri-clean
    it melts the goo right off. you can find a link to a website that sells the stuff on one of my other posts.

10. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    Ive found that full strength Simple Green takes the stuff off really well. It leaves the plastic underneath in good shape too.

11. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY

Try a search on 'Center Console' .. you'll find the thread I started.

Pete

12. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

If it's not too extensive I'd just touch it up using a matching paint with a small brush or toothpick to fill it in. I've done it and you can't tell. As far as the goo just use a solvent I'd imagine, heck just a little gas will do the trick.

13. bamaman

bamaman Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2015
    Mobile Alabama
    Full Name:
    William M (B.J.) Lyon, Jr.
    it takes a LOT of elbow grease and scraping no matter what solvent type stuff you use.