manual quarterlights on 365GT 2+2? | FerrariChat

manual quarterlights on 365GT 2+2?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by sjvalin, Sep 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sjvalin

sjvalin Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2004
    Nevada County, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Valin
    I got to check out and drive a 365GT 2+2 over the weekend (and a Daytona, too. WOW!!!!). This 2+2 didn't have electric quarterlights, just two switches for the windows. It had knobs below the quarterlights to open them, the same as the 500 Superfasts. Keith Bluemel's book does not mention manual quarterlights. I was told by the owner that US cars did not have electric, and that later in the production all cars were manual. What's the real story?

-steve

2. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    read Bluemel closer, I think he does mention this - the early cars (through what number I don't know yet) had the electric quarterlights which, frankly, were dogs. there is no automatic stop on the motor when the window is fully closed, so the worm gear (made out of what appears to be pot metal) eventually grounds itself smooth and therefore useless. Hopefully your windows are in the closed position when that day comes. I believe that by the time the "american spec" cars were being made (I can get that s/n at home tonight), Ferrari had simply dropped the electric quarter windows on all Queens, euro and american spec.

what s/n queen did you drive?

3. sjvalin

sjvalin Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2004
    Nevada County, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Valin
    Thanks, Bryan. I guess I missed that, even when looking for it! I'll read it again tonight! I drove 12789. I rather enjoyed driving it. It was my first time. Not as engaging as the Daytona (also my first time), but still a lot of fun and less demanding. As they say, you never forget your first... :)

-steve

4. drew365

drew365 Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    The Valley, L.A.
    Full Name:
    Andy Ritter
    My car is 12751. A U.S. spec car with electric wind wings (as I call them). So at least some U.S. cars had them.

5. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    well, so much for my hope that there was a definite cut-off for the electric quarter-lites somewhere before 12223 early in 1969 . . . . more homework.

6. drew365

drew365 Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    The Valley, L.A.
    Full Name:
    Andy Ritter
    My car was built June of '69, as I was graduating from high school. There probably weren't too many Queens between 751 and 789 so the time frame for the change over is not long after my car. Maybe mine was the last?

7. sjvalin

sjvalin Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2004
    Nevada County, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Valin
    For the life of me, I can't find anything in Bluemel's book about manual quarterlights on the 365GT. Which section is it in? I wonder if I have an earlier edition (dated 1999)?

8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Mine (12327) is also a US-spec car, and has the electric vent windows (as I like to call them).

Mine have been no problem so far, over 11 years. The only issue I have noticed is that they will stick to the seal if you haven't operated them recently, and fail to open. A gentle push solves that problem.

9. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I'm batting a thousand on this thread - Steve V. i just checked Bluemel and you are correct; not a word about the later cars having abandoned the electric quarter lites. It's also not in Prunet or Lehbrink. But I know I read it somewhere (besides having seen a half-dozen w/ this feature), but do not believe anyone I've read has pinpointed the change in time.

10. drew365

drew365 Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    The Valley, L.A.
    Full Name:
    Andy Ritter
    There was an updated parts book starting with 12811. I guess that doesn't mean anything since 12789 has manual vent windows. I guess this is another case of Ferrari doing what they wanted whenever they wanted.

11. sjvalin

sjvalin Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2004
    Nevada County, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Valin
    Bryan,

Thanks - just wanted to be sure I wasn't losing my mind! I've got those books, as well as the Fitzerald/Merritt book, all of which I've read umpteen times and I just don't ever recall coming across any info on manual wing windows. There's only so much minutia that can be captured in books on these extraordinary cars!

-steve