My TR's engine finally DONE! Lots of PICS... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My TR's engine finally DONE! Lots of PICS...

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by carguy, Nov 2, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Beautiful! It would take some big ballz to take a job like that one in your own hands!

2. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Jeff - what did the belts look like when you took them off? How long since the last major? Were they tight? Stretched?

Thanks.

Jim S.

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Oops, I smell some one trying to cheap out of maintenance ;) :D ... hahaha.

Pete

4. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    No - just looking for some anecdotal evidence - (oxymoron of the month).

Jim S.

5. jkuk

jkuk Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Wirral, UK
    Full Name:
    John K
    Jeff,

I am curious to know what you used on the exhaust parts.

Are these just painted with VHT (very high temp) aluminium paint, or bead blasted back to the original colour ?

Thanks

John

6. RF128706

RF128706 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Jeff, I'm curious about your method of engine cleaning.

Did you sand blast, acid clean etc. or was the engine already pretty clean? Also did you paint the engine ? It looks like aluminium paint on my screen.

Reason I'm asking is that I'm about to drop the engine in my 355 to do a similar excercise and cure a couple of minor oil leaks and want my engine to sparkle like yours!!!

Thanks,

Rob.

PS. Am planning to post detailed write-up as I did with my clutch change job.

7. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    You guys are the greatest !! Thank You so much for all the high-fives....I really do appreciate it. My car was a real Pig when I got it. The engine was a real mess. At first I simply cleaned it the best I could...but didn't like the results. So when I did the major I went all out. I cleaned the "whole big lump" as it came out of the car with simple green, lots of little brushes, and occasionally some mag wheel cleaner when needed. It took lots of time and I developed very raw, sore, bloody fingers from it. I then disassembled everything down to the bare block and heads. And refurbished everything piece by piece. There were some surprises along the way. I put in new injectors...turns out they are the same as a certain Volkswagen car so I got them for 1/4 the price that Ferrari wanted. I made my own plug wires, but used the original sheathing and boots, total cost about $100 and a days time. It's surprising what you can do if your resourceful. I used all new stainless or plated nuts and bolts...but only on non-stressed items. The old cam belts looked very good, but they had about 3 years on them so out they go. I was hoping to fix an oil leak out the front main seal, but it didn't work. So I PULLED THE ENGINE AGAIN and really took my time with a new seal, but the leak returned shortly after...so I just live with it for now. I monitor the cam belts for oil, and as long as they stay dry I'm driving her. I also rebuilt the waterpump.....this was a MAJOR PAIN in the tushy. It wasn't leaking but I heard horror stories that if I didn't do it...well you know. Looking back I'd leave it alone unless it's leaking. I think the biggest pain was refinished the fuel distributors and lines. I would NOT do this again as it was very time consuming and doesn't hardly show. On the exhaust system I used a ceramic paint/coating...but I don't remember the brand name. I applied it and then baked the whole exhaust in a large walk-in oven at 400F for about 4 hours. The durability is impressive. In fact I baked all of the other parts at 250 for a 2 hours after painting, and the results I feel are much better than air-drying. The alternator color is a silver-beige used by G.M....which makes sense since it's a Delco unit. Somebody asked about tires...their Khumos.....225-16" on front and 255-16" on rear. Again Thank You to All for your support. I would love to work on other Ferraris but there aren't any around my area....that I'm aware of. And Steve F....I'll gladly take that holiday in merry ol'e England anytime. Always wanted to pop over there! Well, that's enough gab from me....see you guys later.

8. Santini

Santini Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2003
    North Carolina
    Incredible attention to detail. Inspiring!

9. Roland E Linder

Roland E Linder Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    COLORADO
    Full Name:
    Roland E Linder
    Congrats, this is some pro work maybe even better. You can be proud of your work and like this you know every parts on that great motor.
    Good job!
    Roland
    F40LM

10. millemiglia

millemiglia Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    Impressive work, well done!

It's such a beautiful engine, not often that you get to see one as clean as this one.

/Peter

11. RF128706

RF128706 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Carguy, I have scoured the internet to find a ceramic paint coating for exhausts but have been unable to find anything. Can you tell me where you sourced this paint & what it's called ?

Thanks,

RF.

12. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si

How about this one

Oh Dear, not quite right, any ideas what I did wrong?

13. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Very, Very Nice Work.