348 Spider in Parade? Would you do it? | FerrariChat

348 Spider in Parade? Would you do it?

Discussion in '348/355' started by 348_Spiderman, Sep 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I was recently asked if I would be willing to put my 348 Spider in a parade. The catch being, that I'd have to put two high school aged kids somewhere they can be visibly seen. Now, I've never contemplated this before, and since I've never thought about the possibility of physically putting someone on top of the boot, I figured I'd ask here. Has anybody done it before?

The car is at home in the garage so I can't check out the feasibility, however, as memory serves, the top pretty much just folds up behind the seats so there isn't anything substantial for anyone to sit on, is there? The boot is the soft boot type so that would offer absolutely no protection to the folded top carriage.

Any ideas? Has anyone done it before?

Thanks!

Mike

2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I'd worry about maintaining a 2 mph speed without slipping the clutch quite a bit...

3. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I've actually found that the car is really manageable in first gear at low speeds with out having to ride the clutch. I got stuck in a traffic jam on I94 at rush hour, on a Friday, during the construction on State Street in Ann Arbor, MI this summer(for anyone who is familiar with the area and timeframe) I pretty much just left the car and first and let it idle away.

You bring up a good point though, I'll be screwed if the parade moves at a slower pace than my 348 in first at idle. :)

Mike

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Try it once and see if you like it!

The crowd enjoying your car may be the best time you've had, IMO.

FWIW, my convertible back in the 70s was used for many events, even down to watching the Homecoming Queen's thighs in the rear view mirror!

Not sure, of protection to the top mechanism, but you could possibly trim some 2" rigid foam to protect it. I'd think the participants would be real careful
    if you told them where to sit........

Use the car, what the he11.........

5. cal355

cal355 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Cal
    Be careful that you don't put any weight on the convertible bows that keepsthe fabric roof straight and alinged when the top is up.The bows bend easily and can cause misalingnent when attaching the top to the A-pillars.Try building some sort of platform to support someone instead of having them sit on the folded top.Couldbe very expensive to fix.

6. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    As long as we're talking about this subject, has anyone used a 308 GTS for this purpose? Would the targa "roll bar" area be strong enough for a person to rest their rear on it during a parade?

7. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    It would be great to be in the parade and I'm not that fussy but I'm struggling to figure out where you'd put two high schoolers - unless you could have one of the cheerleaders' legs over your shoulders or something...

Top is probably OK because of the way the mechanism drops down in the 348, but you might need to find a way to fold your rear window. Also, that engine cover starts to get a bit warm.

Good luck!!

Cheers
    Kevin

8. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I woudn't do it.

The window folds neatly in a manner that keeps it from getting crushed (it doesn't fold completely with a hard crease). If people are sitting on it, there will be more pressure to crease the plastic. Additionally, there would be strain on the top framing. Also, don't forget, their feet (hopefully no shoes) will be all over your interior. Lastly, what about insurance.

Not worth it for me.

9. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I wouldn't consider it for an instant! And I'm surprised the organizers would take the insurance risk of having people sit in a potentially dangerous position during their parade. If you can't take the passenger in the passenger's seat, forget it.

10. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    I don't think I'd risk the damage, but I don't know anything about the 348 top, etc. Just not enough upside to risk bending something or getting impressions in the thin Italian sheetmetal.

Same concern with the 308. Wasn't it Dave Handa that mentioned bending over the targa bar in his 308 to change spark plugs put dents in it? And there's just been discussion about people with them new fancy gas struts to hold their engine covers up putting depressions in the sheet metal from pushing too hard in the wrong spots to close them. Fragile cars, yes!

11. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    NO. Especially here in New Orleans where people would more than likely throw beads and other assorted stuff at it.

12. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    As much I think it's a good idea to support a good cause, I wouldn't risk it. Why don't you suggest one person in the passenger seat......... A compromise. I'm sure no one will want to pay for your top if it gets damaged. Further if you hit the gas a bit that person could go flying. I suggest you pick homecoming queen / head cheerleader to keep in theme with a hot car.

13. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Ferrari of Washington frequently used a Mondial T Cab in parades (when the car was in their used inventory). If a Factory-Authorized Dealership can do it, so can you I would assume....

How heavy can a pair of high-schoolers be, anyway? Wait, the health-consious '80s are over, never mind....

14. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Marin Calif
    I would not do it...that is sitting up on the top bonnet area.

I'd also have be concerned with clutch wear/heat.

However, if the clutch is not an issue, I am with above, one passenger, maybe on some high lift foam, in the passenger seat.

15. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    I can't think of a worse car to be bogged down in traffic with than a 348, just not made for it. Clutch way too stiff.

16. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Have the fat one push the car while the homecoming queen's head is in your um, lap.

17. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Keep your shirt on while you're driving (and tell the cheerleaders to do so as well) and that ought to keep the beads to a minimum, I'd think.

Cheers
    Kevin

18. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    i dont think it will hurt the car, but i wouldn't do it.

19. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I am surprised that they would suggest that you would need to squeeze 3 people into a 2 person car for the event. That opens them (but more likely YOU) to liability if something were to happen. I would participate in the event but only if you can do it SAFELY which means having the number of occupants that the car is designed for and no more.

Birdman

20. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Here is what you do. Take out the passenger seat, that way there is room for both of them to stand up without having to sit on the soft top.

21. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    NO! Did this once for a picture, resulting in a dent.
    When my brother used the car for his wedding, for the pictures we moved the passenger seat all the way forward, so the bride could stand behind the seat. In a parade that lasts longer one can lean backwards against the rubber hardtop seal if getting tired from standing.

22. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Huh, this is the most intriguing response yet. Is your suggestion from experience or is this what you would do? If I took the passenger seat out, would they just hang onto the windshield frame?

23. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    It was just a silly suggestion. There are only for bolts holding the seat in place. However I like the moving the seat all the way forward idea. It really depends on if you are gonna do it. If you do, I really suggest getting some sort of paper signed in regards to damage and release of liability, you never know.

24. Roryferrari

Roryferrari Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    Dave Bell
    Not on my 328. There is absolutely no support in this area and is easily damaged. I was taking pics of my newely restored interior and found out the hard way.

25. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    I do a lot of charity events and shows in my 348 spider.

Basically if they want your car, you call the shots. Its your car so you say what can and cannot be done with your car.

I would not have anyone sit on the back of the car. The roof will get ruined. Its a two seater car and should stay that way.

Do the evnt but with your rules....