It ain't all about $$................... | FerrariChat

It ain't all about $$...................

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by darth550, Sep 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    More Bad Luck for Record-Breaking Lottery Winner
    Home Burglarized, Body Found Inside

WINFIELD, W.Va. (Sept. 21) - Three men burglarized the home of Jack Whittaker, winner of the biggest lottery jackpot in U.S. history, as an acquaintance of Whittaker's lay dead inside, police said Tuesday.

Whittaker was not home at the time, and Chief Deputy John Dailey said the death of Jesse Joe Tribble, 18, was not related to the burglary and was not a homicide. It may have been drug-related, Dailey said.

Whittaker's Woes:

AP ....· August 2003: $545,000 in cash and cashier's checks are stolen from Whittaker's SUV outside a strip club

· Jan. 4, 2004: Whittaker is charged with hitting and threatening to kill the manager of a bar

· Jan. 17, 2004: $100,000 is stolen from his car

· Jan. 25, 2004: Whittaker is arrested on suspicion of drunken driving

· September 2004: His home is burglarized and a dead body is found inside
    Sources: AP, CBS, USA Today

"We're pretty sure they knew he was dead. That's why they went inside and took the stuff," Dailey said.

The break-in took place Thursday night or Friday morning. One of those arrested reported Tribble's death late Friday morning, Dailey said. Tribble was a friend of Whittaker's granddaughter, and all three suspects were acquainted with Tribble.

Dailey would not say how the three knew about Tribble's death.

J.C. Shaver, 20, James Travis Willis, 25, and Jeffrey Dustin Campbell, 20, were charged with larceny and other offenses after being captured on a security camera that Whittaker recently had installed, authorities said.

Police recovered $15,000 worth of items taken from the home, Daily said. He did not give a total for everything stolen.

Whittaker won the largest single jackpot in the nation's history when he hit a $314.9 million Powerball jackpot on Christmas Day 2002. He chose to accept a lump sum of about $113 million after taxes.

Since then, Whittaker's vehicle, business and home have been broken into repeatedly. Last year, a strip club manager and his girlfriend were charged with drugging Whittaker and stealing a briefcase containing more than $500,000 in cash and cashier's checks. The money was recovered.

09/21/04 17:41 EDT

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    It's time to drop 6 figures on all sorts of James Bond-type security devices and become a hermit...

3. LMP234

LMP234 Formula 3

May 8, 2004
    TN
    Full Name:
    Leon
    I wouldnt tell many people. I would move. Id take the payments, not the lump sum. Id spend ALOT on security, and buy at least 6 watch dogs (German Shepherd, Pinchers). Id take a million or so out and start some sort of company in a field that truelly interested me and not be concerned if I lost money or if it went under.

4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Not that i want to use your comments to hijack this thread and turn it into a "what would you do if you won the lottery" thread, but i would take the lump sum; what happens if you die a month later...? That money, i think, goes back to the government - um, i mean, "state lottery"...

& i wouldn't start a business; i'd buy 134282 and i'd drive around for the rest of my life... :)

5. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    #5 wax, Sep 22, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Jack Whittaker has been a damn fool with his 170.5M since day 1. Christmas, 2002, winning numbers were announced. Forget the fact someone with zero money management skills or self-discipline took a lump-sum payment, rather than wait a week until the new year began to hold on to tax hit for a year, he took dough the next day.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Fool and his money...

7. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    a fool and his money stimulate the economy....

A fool and our money go into government

8. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    This guy is a complete moron. How can you leave hundreds of thousands of dollars just sitting in your car???

9. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Agreed.

10. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I'm curious if he is now wishing that he never won the $$. Doubt it. This guy will probably just blow through it. Stay tuned.

11. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    You just gave me an idea for the next "reality show"- follow five lottery winners around as they frivolously blow through millions and end up more broke than when they started!

12. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

How would you make it a reality?

Speaking of reality shows. Apparently there's one on a LA Hispanic TV station where illegals are promised a green card if they get through the "Fear Factor" type obstacles. They get shot at with paint guns by guys that coincidently look like border patrol and at the end they get to shoot back at them. All this fun reality brought to you by a company called Leiberman Productions if I recall correctly. As you can imagine they have no shortage of willing contestants and the show is a hit in the ethnic markets.

13. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    All that money should have gone into the bank, and stayed there! What's the point of carrying around hundreds of thousands in cash? Rediculous.

Also, as others mentioned, he should have moved. He'd blend in anonymously with the $100million+ crowd in the largest cities.

From day one I'd be investing a percentage of that money to make it grow, not blow it all away like most of the idiot lottery winners do. Just shows you why they never got wealthy on the their own; even when given a huge sum, it doesn't last long due to horrendous management.

14. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Of course, most folks who have the savvy to do as you suggest are pretty far out on the bell curve of the lotto-playing demographic.

Cheers
    Kevin

15. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    he was also a millionaire or close to being one when he won. People who are thrown into huge ammounts of money so fast like rappers, some of the dot.com guys, and lottery winners spend their money friviously. People who attain their own wealth are much more financially stable because they know how to handle their funds and learn to not have cash but to have investments.

I agree there is no point to be carting around breifcases of money unless a) ur a politcian or b) the mob or drug dealer dealing with the politician. Flashin all that money, especially in the back woods, is an inviatation to get jumped.

16. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

#16 maranelloman, Sep 22, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    A friend indeed.

DL

18. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    RIGHTOOOO!

19. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

He needs someone like our good friend chaa.

20. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Hmmm... Methinks my friend above would be a bit more effective, no disrespect intended to Chaa...

21. jbtrader23

jbtrader23 Karting

Apr 20, 2004
    Los Angeles, Ca
    $545,000 in cash outside a strip club? Those were some happy dancers :)

This is one of the sadest news stories I've seen all week. $113 million and no security. Imagine where he'd be with $50 million.....

22. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Just read this thread. Hey no offence taken dude. When i was in the Royal Marines Comandos in the UK, i was based at Pool where the Special Boat Squadron SFs are based. We had alot of US seals comeover to train with us (or do i mean learn from us ha!ha!), and i must say we English like to "walk softley with a big stick", with out the cigars and the Oaklys, LOL!
    No seriously if ya man is on active hes the best man for the job, as for my self i am to busy makeing big money in the commercial EX/CP K.N.R sector.By the way is that Frogman in the pic?

23. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    What a shame.

BUT, he IS from West Virginia so he sticks out.

Mo' Money, mo problems.

In some of the nicer parts of our great nation he'd be considered "middle class" . He should have moved to one of those areas.