Maintenance Costs??? | FerrariChat

Maintenance Costs???

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 285ferrari, Sep 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I never realized how expensive it could be for routine service on a Fcar. Don't get me wrong I love these cars with a passion and have saved up enough to purchase a older 328 maybe 348, but all the talk of 30k service and maintenance scares me. I know why service costs are expensive. Are some cars easier to maintain than others? I don't want to blow my load on the car and then can't drive it because a drive belt costs 2k to replace. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.

2. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    Most experts believe the 328 is more reliable and far less expensive to maintain than the 348/355. 348/355's require removal of the engine for the major service. If running costs are an issue and you must have a ferrari then the 328 might be the car for you.

3. Varenne

Varenne Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    It all depends on how handy you are with a wrench and how much you're willing to invest in tools as well as your own time. You'll pay for it one way or another. If you've got time and inclination, there are a ton of guys out there who are have demonstrated a willingness to assist with technical questions and general maintenance. Many here do *all* their own maintenance. As was said, the 3x8 series is generally considered not too difficult for do-it-yourselfers, before OBDs really took off and everything became computer controlled. Before you make the leap, however, spend some time skimming the technical forums, just so you might have an idea of the types of discussions that take place there. There's also a thread in GFD that discusses reliable and reputable mechanics of F-cars all over the country. See if you can find one not too far from you and stop by for a visit. You don't have to go to FoW for your work - especially if you purchase an older car. Good Luck. Remember, there are plenty of enthusiasts on F-chat - myself included - who don't have an F-car, so you *can* enjoy them vicariously through this community without actually having one.

4. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    In my experience the older front engined V12s with Webers are the easiest and least expensive to service and repair. For the price of a 328 you can buy several V12s such as the 330 2+2, 365 2+2 and maybe even a 365GTC4.

5. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

I like Frank's advice about the early V12 cars...........and having said that I am truthfully amazed at the amount of DIY'ers here and their incredibly evident high levels of technical expertise.

Some of the tech threads are amazing. But as I don't like to bust my knuckles anymore, or even have the time to, I hear where you are coming from. And there's only one way around it if you want an F-car.

I am going to have a TR for example.............and they are horridly expensive to repair when things go wrong IMHO.........bit I want..........therefore I shall have.

You've got to take a deep breath and just be prepared I'm afraid.............belts on a new 360 cost $2K............I have saved 1/3 of my anticipated PP and set it aside in a maintenance slush fund, for an eighteen year old, 12 cylinder, Italian car. Go figure...........

6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Right on, my friend.

I'm a big advocate of buying older V-12s, the kind designed by Columbo and built when Enzo was fully in charge. The kind that make absolutely glorious sounds.

That's why I bought a 330 GT. It's appreciating in value and it's simple to work on.

And while it may not turn as many heads as a Testarossa, it puts a warm smile on those faces that do recognize it.

A picture, that I've posted before, that I love:

7. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Hi Robbie,

I didn't see you at the High Rollers Run........... thought you might make it up.

Anyway,

My suggestion is to save a bit more. Have a little fund on the side w/ $5k to dip into if something happens. This will make your driving experience a bit more relaxing w/ either the 328 or the 348. BTW - I think these are to very different cars so drive a few examples first before you decide. You have time as winter is almost upon us.

Hope you make it to one of the events,

Eric

8. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Eric, I tryed my best but could not get out of work. Local county fair and had to work down there for security. I am planning on going to the Summit Point event on Oct. 16. Hopefully get a look at some of these beautiful Fcars up close. Thank you and everybody else for the advice.

9. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I've only owned one Ferrari, see profile. My cumulative experience with it and hearing about the experiences of others with different Ferrari models would make me agree with those that posted in favor of the '60s era V12's as being easiest to work on and maintain personally, and probably the most reliable.

I know what I can comfortably take on, skill and setup-wise, and what to leave to the pros. My 330 is as reliable and easy to work on as a 1960's American muscle car, which is saying a lot.

10. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Buy a Toyota

11. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Thanks for the advice You were a big help Sparta

12. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

The only way to eliminate unecessary maintenance costs is to get a later model that's still under warranty. If that's out of your range you really have to do your homework i.e. PPI and best judgement, to ensure you don't get a car that nickel and dimes you to death. If you do get a good car the best way to keep it that way is drive it. Good luck.

13. garysp7

garysp7 Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    You can avoid maintenance costs by owning a newer car with a warranty. The down side is you will pay more and you have a car that you can not fix yourself much of the time due to the computers in them now.
    If a much older car, 60-70's, you can do much of the work yourself, the problem becomes finding parts though.
    You will pay one way or another though. Budget for it at the beginning. At the end to feel and hear twelve cylinders screaming at redline usually makes it all worthwhile:)
    gary

14. mfennell70

mfennell70 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    Maybe he was sarcastic but if $2k is a big worry for you, you should wait.

15. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    A quick question, but slightly off the specific topic here- is a 355/360 more expensive to maintain than a newer V-12 (456 or 550) or are they about the same? Both in terms of regular preventative maintenance and # of things that break on a 10 year old (Italian) car...

Thanks

16. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I was being sarcastic . If you have to worry about where the money will come from to maintain the car, you can not afford the car and you will end up with a very expensive garage ornament. Being able to afford to purchase a Ferrari is not really that difficult with 308's in the 20 -30 K range being able to afford to maintain the car is the real trick .