There is no "Euro" spec | FerrariChat

There is no "Euro" spec

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ferrarifixer, Sep 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    All us Ferrari types should stop calling cars "Euro" spec. Euro means europe. The UK is part of Europe and so is Switzerland. These two extreme specs of cars could not be more different!

Just want to put this confusion to bed.....

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    as soon as we stop calling facial tissues "kleenex" we'll get right on that :)

interestingly enough, the p-car guys seem pretty good about NA -vs- ROW, which may in fact be just as replete with inconsistencies as this "euro" thing.

i imagine the f-car focus on "euro" comes from the gray market imports (pre-EU) where the cars primarily (i assume) came from western "Europe" - so what's a boy to do?

doody.

3. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    now I'm even more confused than I was already enough....... Shut up doody, you're not helping much!

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Well, there's Northern Europe. There's also Western Europe and Eastern Europe, let alone Southern and Central Europe, and of course, there's South Eastern Europe as well as South Western Europe...

5. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    aaaaaaaaAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGhHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

6. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    There's Europe, then there's Switzerland (CH) in a parallel Universe.....
    :)

7. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Parallel? More like perpendicular. ;)

8. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Phil,

What's the big deal? So what if we in North America refer to our cars that were delivered in a European country (my Mondial for example was originally sold and driven in Italy, delivered to the US 5 years after it's original sale) refer to our cars as "Euro" cars versus "US" spec cars? Oh, sorry, not specific enough for you? Who cares?!?! It's only words, man. If it gets to the point in any specific discussion that it would matter whether it's a Swiss, generic European or other version, that can be clarified. In the meantime, Euro vs. US is probably sufficient for most purposes.

9. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Euro is just a generic American term for anything that has a steering wheel on the left side but isn't US legal; really just a euphemism for "gray market" which has negative connotations.

Its a moot point in Oz due to the RHD/ADR shemozzle (do not get me started) so simply hasn't entered the vernacular there.

Sort of like an Australian calling an Englishman a "pommy ba$tard" when he technically isn't a ba$tard - everybody still knows what is meant.

Cheers
    Kevin

10. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    There is this specific digit in the VIN that indicates the original target market. So, no confusion at all.

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The observation above is pretty accurate, it is really North American specs, or Rest Of the World specs.......

When all else fails....use your VIN #!!!!!! ;)

12. Zupra

Zupra F1 Rookie

Mar 31, 2004
    St Louis
    Full Name:
    Chesney
    whats the diff US spec or euro spec?

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Pollution equipment....air pumps and cats.

On the 308s the oiling system was different as well.......wet sump vs. dry sump.

14. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    My car came from Germany back in 85. I'll say it's a German Spec from now on to avoid confusion. :)

Kenny K

15. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Depends on the car/year, but in addition to the smog equipment differences, there are often bumper differences and some side-impact bracing in the doors. My '85 380SL is "Dutch spec" and was imported to the US c. 1990. It has had the door bracing installed, catalytic converters added, and some modifications to the fuel injection system, but I still have the small chrome blade bumpers from the old 450SL instead of the fugly 5-mph things that the US required.

Similarly on the 308's there are US bumpers that stick out much farther than the, shall we say, non-US cars. Also on the Boxer you hear about bumper changes and side markers that have to be a certain size, etc.

All because our government wants to keep us safe and our air nice and clean.

Cheers
    Kevin

16. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Agreed. I vote that we put the terms UKspec and Switzspec into law. Comon who's with me on this important legislation? :)

17. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    so.....how should we properly refer to them?

18. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Australians? You could call them Ausies. Or Bloaks. Or Downunderers . ...

Ohhhh..... you mean the cars?!??? Call'em anything you want. Who cares? I'm going to keep calling mine a Mondial QV Euro spec. I don't rightly care what Fixer thinks. (No offense Fixer, but does it really make a sand-hill of difference?)

19. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Eh mate, it's Blokes, not Boakes.
    Philip

20. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    also, on the federalized versions, we have rear side marker lights and safety glass, and larger side marker lights in front. the 'euro' versions came with hotter cams too, and of course the instruments read in another language, like on my euro 308 GTS, the guages are in italian. also, the rear trunk area is different. the euro cars were generally lighter.
    john

21. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    And its oi, not eh, hoser. :)

Cheers
    Kevin

22. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Ok Fasterisbetter...(or should that be euroisbetter) when you have a 308 one day and decide you want a "Euro spec" engine put in because you heard on here and elsewhere that it has maybe 20 more BHP and a dry sump oil system, with a single distributor which requires less maintenance and better carburation, better exhaust manifolds and silencers and is lighter overall etc....

I'll sell you a Swiss one...it came from Europe after all.....

In life, you dont get what you don't ask for...but be careful what you ask for....!!

23. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Good morning, Phil!!

So UK spec is pretty easy to tell, what with the RHD and all, but genuinely, what is special about Swiss spec as opposed to other European countries? I know in Italy you could get that 208 thing but then that was called a ...wait for it... 208, so not hard to tell. Are the Swiss cars anemic?

Cheers
    Kevin

24. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Amen Phil!

I don't see why it's so unreasonable to ask that people try to learn and use the correct version names when discussing issues that are version dependent.

The CH version became a virtual US version in about the mid/late-eighties (cats, fuel evaporation control systems, etc.) so Phil's point is that a CH version is essentially a US version whereas a GB version is not for that timeframe (but both CH and GB are "euro").

25. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Yep, and for example if you try to put a French steering rack in a UK car...it'll steer the opposite way to your instruction...but it's still a Euro spec rack.....