Which 1:43 Model Manufacturer ? | FerrariChat

Which 1:43 Model Manufacturer ?

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by djaffrey, Sep 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. djaffrey

djaffrey Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Having decided on 1/43 with the help of many on this site (esp Wayne A) I am about to dive in and start collecting the "Octane 10". Will take a while.

I ahve a prefernce not to mix and match manufacturers so I have one further questions. Tehre seems to be a plethora of different manufcaturers out tehre (Art, Best, Bang, Brumm, BBR, MR, Solido, Top Models, Onyx, Minichamps, Old Cars. Jouef etc...)

Question is who is "The Daddy" as we like to say in the UK. Is there one manufacturer that is head and shoulders above the others in terms of collectability. Assuming price is not an issue (whcih it always is) from a very uintrained eye it looks to me like BBR have it. Are they in fact the most desirable ? Comments please....

2. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    The best no doubt in 1/43 are BBR, MR, Tecnomodel, MG, Ilario and DVA. Also very good are Heco, Renaissance, ABC and MPH Models.

3. djaffrey

djaffrey Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Thankyou ! Bang models look a bit poor in detail quality. Is that fair comment ?

4. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    That's fair, but also quite a different price range!

5. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Also, BBR and MR are produced by the same company and will fit together in a collection nicely (same wheels, etc). You'll find that the BBR brand concentrates more on the comp cars while MR's focus is on the road cars (with exception, of course).

6. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    A lot depends on what kind of money you want to spend. The hand mades, such as BBR and ABC run something like $200, and the die casts such as Bang only run about $25.

There is a web site for many of the French makers of hand mades and they also sell some of the Italain and other models. They are easy to do business with, as they take credit cards. www.mafma.com

Grand prix models in England also has lots of hand mades www.grandprixmodels.com

There are also some companies in the US that stock hand mades from some of the better companies.

7. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    It varies. Their 250 GTE looks awesome. Their 512 BB is downright dissapointing.

8. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

I personally think you are making a mistake by limiting yourself to not mixing different manufacturers. Fine if you say "I only want 1:43 scale", but after 20 some odd years, Ive found no one model maker to be the best at every single model.

My 1:43 Ferrari collection is primarily road-going models and consists of Art Models, Bang, Best, BBR, Detail Cars, Heco, Herpa, Minichamps, and Vitesse. I also think the variety makes the collection more interesting.

Here is an older photo - Ive since added several more

9. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix

Hold on, I believe the BB is from Best (who have an excellent 275 GTS).

I agree with Greg by the way.

The manufacturer is of no importance in my view. It all depends on whether or not a particular Ferrari can be considered an addition to my collection, the quality of the model itself and -of course- the costs. If those criteria are met, I buy the model no matter who makes it.

I tend to find myself mostly buying Best, Bang, ArtModel and Brumm going from these criteria.

Most recent buy however is a Giallo Modena Ferrari F50 (hardtop) by DetailCars. I never thought much of DetailCars, but this particular F50 is very acceptable for it´s price of about $15,-

Does anyone know Rosso by the way? They did the 1:8 Ferrari 643 and a 1:43 642 and 643 in the early nineties. Whatever happened to them?

10. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

By the way, the Minichamps (PMA) F50 is MUCH nicer than the Detail Cars piece, but it is no longer made. Accordingly Ive seen the PMA's price skyrocket on ebay. For a $30-35 diecast, reds are now fetching $150. I also think it is nicer than the BBR version.

The rear wing is the major difference - the PMA has an authentic one piece mold while the Detail Cars broke the mold up into 3 pieces and it hurts the look. The F50 in my display pic is the PMA one.

I also have a red F50 from Detail Cars mint in box that I'll gladly sell for $15 + shipping. PM me if interested.

11. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    You are right. I just missed out on the Minichamps F50. I do have the Minichamps 355 Berlinetta, 512 TR and 456 GT (all in yellow) (any idea what those fetch these days?). All in all, the DetailCars one is an acceptable alternative to me. If I ever bump into a Minichamps one for a fair price, I won't hestitate though.

12. jj2728

jj2728 Karting

Jan 19, 2004
    Ontario
    i collect strictly 1/43 and have 500 or so in my collection, i've lost count! anyhow, don't limit yourself to one manufacturer as no one company will most likely make all of the cars you are interested in. as has been stated before, it depends on how deep your pockets are. you can pay hundreds for the higher quality built kits, ie. BBR, MR etc., or well under that for the diecast. my personal favorites are BBR, TAMEO, BOSICA, MINICHAMPS, SPARK/BIZARRE, BEST, ART MODEL (excellent inexpensive ferraris), BRUMM, and IXO. don't forget to check out ebay too as some very good deals can be had there.

13. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    ..just to clarify

BBR & MR are 2 different companies. The founders of both are brothers. And according to rumor only talk to one another via lawyers..??

Both make great models, but can get pricey if you buy at full retail

For cheaper 1/43 scale Ferrari, I love Art models and Minichamps. Minichamps no longer makes Ferrari models due to license, but there are some really neat collectibles out there and getting a full set of Ferrari Minichamps can be a real challenge. In fact some pieces have hit BBR prices

14. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    The story I heard was that the factory burned down

Rosso made more than just that. They also made a 512TR model w/o an engine as well as a seperate detail kit for the 1/8 scale F1 car. There were also some other models outside of Ferrari such as an Acura too

The 1/8 scale was wildly popular and a very good kit. In contract to the Pocher F40s and TRs of the time. However I had a very hard time selling the 1/20 scale Ferrari 512TRs. A few years ago I was discounting them to $15.- ea after years of trying to sell at $30-$40 (The lack of en engine hurt the model)