CA Ferrari Chat Members Please Read ASAP- AB 2683! | FerrariChat

CA Ferrari Chat Members Please Read ASAP- AB 2683!

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by Viper 10, Sep 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Viper 10

Viper 10 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brad Chang
    Hi Car Friends:

Please spread the word to all of your car friends in California! We need to stop this bill from passing, so that we can preserve a wonderful hobby and passion for many.

Thanks for spreading the word and writing or calling Governor Schwarzenegger ASAP.

Have a nice day.

Brad
    310-963-6545

***PLEASE DISTRIBUTE THIS E-MAIL AS WIDELY AS POSSIBLE***

AB 2683 passed both the California Senate and Assembly last week. A token eleventh hour "concession" to the rising tide of outrage exempts cars from the visual inspection once they reach the age of 35, but the provisions of AB 2683 still require that 1976-up models receive tailpipe emission tests in perpetuity ,and there is a move afoot to require "older cars" to have ANNUAL emission tests!

The Governor has three choices:

1. He can do nothing, and after Sept. 30 AB 2683 will become law.

2. He can sign AB 2683 before Sept. 30, and it becomes law upon his signature.

3. He can VETO AB 2683!!!

I urge all of you who own collector cars or are collector car enthusiasts or who want to support your collector car friends to e-mail the governor using the following link:

www.govmail.ca.gov

I have attached the verbiage from the note I sent this evening, and feel
    free to use any of the points I bring up. Even if you are not
    specifically affected by this legislation, I guarantee you that further attempts to roll back emission testing to currently exempt cars will occur in future legislative sessions. Last year SB 708 in its original form required emission testing for cars back to the fifties, but it didn't pass in this form. If you are a vintage car owner - of any year
    - any marque, a vintage car enthusiast, or a friend of vintage car enthusiasts, I urge you to take a few moments to e-mail the Governor with a request that he veto AB 2683!!!

Dear Governor Schwarzenegger,

I urge you to veto AB 2683!

This bill was spirited through the legislature with data and analyses that are purposely biased, outside of a reasonable context, and some outright lies!

Legislative analyses that accompanied AB 2683 repeatedly stated: "
    Supporters of this bill point out that 1976 model-year cars, on average, emit 155 times more hydrocarbons per mile than new vehicles." This is an outright lie, and no supporting evidence was ever presented!

Model-year 1976 vehicles were certified to emission standards that reduced emissions approximately 90 percent from uncontrolled vehicles.
    New model vehicles have reduced emissions by another order of magnitude, and this proportion holds based on average passing emissions data published on the BAR Web site, despite the fact that 1976 model-year vehicles are now nearly 30 years old.

Legislative analyses also claim that 1976 model-year cars emit, in aggregate, 2.5 times the volume of emissions compared to 2004 model year cars, but this claim was made early in the year when few 2004 model year vehicles were on the road. This and other variations of this claim are obviously manipulated to overstate the emissions contribution from older vehicles. Based on the ratio of registered 1976 models to the latest full model year on the road (2003), the ratio of average measured passing emissions, and the ratio of annual mileage accumulation, 1976 models emit, in aggregate, only a fraction of the emissions from 2003 models.

The April 2004 draft report to the IMRC states that the provisions of AB
    2683 will save 5.7 tons per day (tpd) of ozone precursors (HC and NOx) by the year 2010, but this "savings", if actually true, is only 0.3 percent of the approximate 1734 tpd of ozone precursors estimated for on-road vehicle in the year 2010 according to the ARB Web site
    emissions inventory calculator. Meanwhile, hundreds of tons per day
    are emitted by sources that have no periodic testing, many of which have no emission controls at all, and the estimate for total ozone precursors (including only reactive organic gases) from all sources in 2010 is over 5500 tpd and 8700 tpd if non-reactive organic gases are included.

Some years ago the California Legislature passed a bill, implemented in CVC 5050 that states they support the collector car hobby. In 1997 car collectors won a long sought emission test exemption for their cars once they reach 30 model-years old, but now the Legislature is pulling the rug out from under our feet at the eleventh hour with false and manipulated data and analyses that intentionally and blatantly paint collector cars as being much worse contributors to emissions than they actually are, and some of this misinformation has come from your own staff agencies, the ARB, and BAR.

We elected you to be the "peoples' governor" - to represent all Californians and reign in an out-of-control state legislature and state bureaucracy. Much work needs to be done.

I urge you to wield your veto authority and include AB 2683 on a long list of poorly crafted legislation that should be vetoed!

2. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Dear Arnold,

VETO THE BILL NOW! Don't be a girlie man! I am not a girlie man, therefore I urge you to TERMINATE the bill!

- Gabe

3. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I did my duty. Thanks for the link.

4. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    Hmmmm.....
    What is clear is that the rolling exemption is history and now permanently stuck on 1976 . But does the rider mean that anything younger than 35 years of age is subject to a visual inspection? This was not part of the law before, was it? (Once my 74 Spider became exempt I never had to submit to a visual inspection). This would mean that you have to buy a 1969 to be completely free and clear of the smog police today.

5. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
  6. mannytranny

mannytranny Karting

Dec 17, 2003
    nor cal
    Full Name:
    Brady Klopfer
    and that stupid governater is the one driving the hummers....erghhh!

7. htran

htran Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Tracy(NoCa)/HB(SoCa)
    Full Name:
    P Quach
    We need part time legislators in Sacto! Those fat cats sit @ the capital building full time and come up with whole bunches of fivirolous laws that we never heard of- until you get in trouble, of course- and meantime, the state budget is a mess, every fric*** year. My .02

8. Viper 10

Viper 10 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brad Chang
    Does anyone know how to get the word out to jay Leno? He has access to Arnold. Keep spreading the word on this.

Thanks everyone.

Brad

9. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    PLEASE WRITE OR CALL THE GOVERNER THIS IS WAY IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    You said it Henry! About the only thing they seem to be able to agree on is pay raises.

RE: laws that you don't even know about. In 2005 it will suddenly be illegal to buy a very heavy (35lbs and 5 feet long!) type of rifle that's too big to really be much but a rich guy's toy. No crimes have ever been committed in the state with one of these guns, but they 'may' pose a 'potential' danger. So on 1/1/2005 a bunch of gun owners who don't follow the internet message boards very closely will suddenly be felons. Sigh.

11. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    From what I've read, Leno has already called several representatives to voice his opinion.

Luke, I don't see the rider anywhere - can you elaborate on your math and reasoning regarding the 1969 cutoff, as opposed to 1976?

12. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I called the gov again today Phone: 916-445-2841 and they said they have not had many calls, the bill just arrived on his desk, so please take a minute out of your time to call!!! Thanks Rob

13. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    76 will be the cutoff for the full inspeaction, but the way i read it, the rider was about subjecting all others to a visual inspection. perhaps i have read an earlier version, without final ammendments....
    I hope he vetoes it, with or without rider. Real pollution comes from heavy industry, trucking, etc...They just have better paid lobbyists. It is easy for a politician to target us and look "green".

14. Viper 10

Viper 10 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brad Chang
    URGENT LEGISLATIVE ANNOUNCEMENT

Governor Signs Smog Check Exemption Repeal Bill Into Law

We have just been informed that despite receiving thousands of messages in opposition to the bill, California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has just signed A.B. 2683 into law. The new law repeals California's current rolling emissions-test exemption for vehicles 30 years old and older and replaces it with a law requiring the lifetime testing of all 1976 and newer model-year vehicles.

We remain confident that the facts are on our side: California's 30-year rolling exemption recognized the minimal impact vintage cars have on air quality, since they constitute a minuscule portion of the overall vehicle population. These older cars are overwhelmingly well maintained and infrequently driven, and are poor candidates for reducing pollution. They are, in the end, convenient scapegoats for legislators, regulators and stationary source polluters using false data and inflated annual mileage assumptions to make it sound like they are cleaning the air. The old car hobby must stand united against future attacks that will accomplish nothing except require unnecessary testing, waste money and burden car hobbyists.

Special thanks to all of the thousands of vehicle hobbyists and related businesses who contacted the Governor requesting his veto. Special thanks also to the steadfast California lawmakers that supported our valiant cause - State Senators Tom McClintock, Betty Karnette and Chuck Poochigian and Assemblymembers Doug LaMalfa and John Campbell.

We will live to fight another day!

Steve McDonald
    SEMA VP, Government Affairs

15. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    hummer driving hypocrite, very sad, I voted for Gray Davis he at least signed the 30 year exemption. I going out to richen up my carbs just to spite them!