Eames Lounge Chair | FerrariChat

Eames Lounge Chair

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by hwyengr, Sep 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hwyengr

hwyengr Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    #1 hwyengr, Sep 23, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    $3,500...? Dude, go buy a kick-ass lap top or a used motorcycle...

With that kind of money, you can come down here to the deep south, buy 175 cartons of cigarettes, go up north and sell them for double what you paid - which is STILL less than what they'd pay up there anyway and then you'd have 7 grand... With that, you could go buy a kick-ass laptop AND a used motorcycle... :)

3. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    And there you have it! Who the hell needs a marketing director?

DL

4. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Dude, if everyone saw my ideas as brilliant as you do, the world would be a better place... :)

5. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    ....I can already see it...Neon Titties on every corner!

DL

6. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LMAO...!

Did i tell you my 'neon titties' story, from here in Georgia...?

7. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
  8. hwyengr

hwyengr Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    Good point, but I still need furniture for my new apartment. And if I buy one more piece of crap from IKEA, I'm going to scream.

9. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Do tell, do tell!

DL

10. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    ......GARY GREEN THREAD...........

11. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Dude, go to the supermarket; go around back where all the trucks load and unload stuff; there should be milk crates back there; take them... Take lots and lots of milk crates and make furniture out of them...

That's what i did when i lived in CT... :)

12. hwyengr

hwyengr Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    Gary was just getting booted out of here when I started lurking....so what did I do wrong?

13. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hhhmmmm...
    With a bit of creativity and imagination, it looks like you have the skills and experience to make a Black/Black NNO out of milkcrates :) Hey, if you cant come up with $1,000,000 for a car, improvise!!!

14. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Jeremy - as to your original topic - get the Eames chair; I do not own one, but have sat in them and, besides being as much as an icon to the design world as Ferrari is to the automotove world, they are comfortable. You will keep it and forever be proud of it - it will never go out of style. As an architect, it is in my DNA to collect pieces like the Corbusier chaise lounge and the Wassily chair; the Eames chair is in the same league and is more comfortable and practical.

15. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    I had one. If I still had it.... you could have had it. I did not like it. Comfi, but to big for use as a desk chair. And I would rather have had the $2500 and a $500 chair. Yea I did not like the thing at the end of the day.

16. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    We've had ours for a long time -- it still looks great. My wife worked for Herman Miller for 20+ years, so acquiring one was quite simple at the time. :)

You'll love it!

17. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Is that true?

18. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
  19. hwyengr

hwyengr Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    I don't smoke, so I don't know exactly what cartons go for up here. I would think that I'd have some tax trouble, though, since that what accounts for the price difference. Via friends, I do know that its $6 to get a pack in a bar.

But about the chair, thanks for the advice everyone. If I get one, its going right in my stereo's sweet spot. The top support comes right up to my shoulders, so I'm not worried about reflecting sound near my ears.

Bryan, I tried laying in the Corbusier once, I didn't fit :) Wonderful aesthetic, though.

20. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL, it's VERY true, why, what are you paying in the Mountains, up there...? NC is still "south", so i can't imagine you'd be paying much more than down here... i bet if i went deep, DEEP south, like south Georgia, i could get cigarettes even cheaper... They're probably dirt cheap in backwoods parts of Alabama and Tennesee, too...

It wouldn't make sense to even do something like this unless you could find some grocer or shop owner who could get in 150+ cartons of cigarettes and you'd have to have all the money ready, at once... Other wise, a few cartons here and a few cartons there aren't going to make any difference... But drop 3 or 4 grand on cartons of cigarettes, then go to NYC, Long Island, Westchester - places like that - and sell them for $40 and still they're getting a discount and you're making 100% profit... You could always mail them up north to someone up there who would sell them for you, then split the profits... i don't see how more people aren't doing something like this... Only the few companies that sell cartons on the internet...

21. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    We had one in our house growing up, and it is still the most comfy chair when we visit my mom's. Get the chair!!

22. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    But why would you wanna sleep in a chair?;)

DL

23. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I have a Wassily chair I'll sell you cheap. It's in my MIL's garage at the moment.

24. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    now I didn't say a Wassily was comfortable! at least the Eames is.

25. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Buy it, it is classic beautiful design, well made of quality materials. I have had mine for 20 years, looks new with a little patina. If you know an architecrt or interior designer or are a good talker you might be able to buy it for a little less. Buy an original design from a licensed manufacturer, Stendig and herman miller were the two the last time i checked. As noted by others it is not a desk chair, of course it was never meant to be.