Bonjour: Greetings from the Paris Motor Show! | FerrariChat

Bonjour: Greetings from the Paris Motor Show!

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by Black355, Sep 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    Sorry for getting this up so late and sorry for no pictures yet. After not sleeping all night (I watched all 3 Star Wars movies on the flight over) and then hustling to get to the show and weasel my credentials I was a little tired when I got back to the hotel. A short nap turned into 7 hours of sleep. The $3 bottle of wine I bought may have been a contributing factor.

Ok, so the Paris Motor Show is hot. I think, like, EVERYONE is here, but who cares about them.

Ferrari F430:

Ok, so there were 3 F430s in attendance. A yellow car at the Pininfarina booth and Rosso Corsa and Argento Nurburgring cars at Ferrari. The car looks stunning in person. Argento was my favorite -- with the sports seats and black leather interior. Personally, I think I'm going to order a white car with tan leather -- eventhough my new pail Mina says it's a "Jap Car" but when she said it in that Italian accent it did not sound like an insult.

The body is stunning in person. It's a great blending of the classic Ferrari lines from the 3x8, 355 cars with all the "moderne" updates of the 360. Much more emotionally powerful in person. The rear fender arch is dramatically more pronounced and sculpted beautifully relative to the front 1/4 which has sone nice detail. The forward bumper is just beautiful. Just beautiful. The rear end of the red car looked like it was having a "fitment" issue -- the gap was really wide between the bumber and the rear fenders -- almost Viper wide. The rear end of the car is amazing, nonetheless. Apparently, the challenge grill will be an option, but it will be more of a "Challenge Bumper". Stay tuned. The diffuser makes it look 10x more agressive than the Stradale.

Interior fitment was amazing. Dramatically tighter tolerances in finish. Amazingly smooth and sculpted. Wonderfully put together. From the photos, the vents sort of look large and out of place. In the cockpit they look perfect. Everything within reach. Everything where you expect it to be. The cabin has the same overall feel as the 360, but it's a bit more snug and comfortable. Much nicer than the 612 -- it does not have that "Boy Racer" feel from all the different finish materials. The interior of the F430 feels like a purpose built car that goes really friggin' fast.

We spent some time with someone from the factory and we learned a few things. I'm sure some [none] of this is news to many of us, but here's what we learned -- I'd call all of this highly placed rumour.

- Interior trim: Aluminum or Leather, Option, $0

- Tach Gauge Face: Yellow or Red, Option, $0 (I mentioned to the V8 product manager that this guy, Brad, put red vinyl on his tach and it looked hot and that we could supply him the cut vinyl for $.04 and that he could sell it as a $450 option. He mumbled something in Italian and wandered off.)

- Ceramic Brakes, Option, $? (Gotta get this)

- Comfort Seats (Power adjustments, 16-way?), Option, $?

- Sports Seats (OEM from OMP) Option, $?

- Challenge Grill [Bumper] in Aluminim or Carbon Fiber, Option, $?. he kept referring to the existing grill texture/finish as the Enzo Grill, FYI, and said that if you get the aluminum of carbon grills, they replace all the grills on the car (including the ones that run up the side of the rear windows) in that material. This option MAY not be availabil until later production years.

- Manettino (That switch on the wheel) controls Differential, Intake Manifold, Traction Control, Stability Control, ABS, Shift Patterns. Claims to give low-speed 4-wheel drive-like feel when needed without adding the weight of a front diff or sacrificing the true sports car feel of a rear drive car. The car has spectacular performance numbers with the F1. The first time that the F1 has dramatically different lap times at Hockenheim, Nurnurgring, A1 Ring, etc...

- Alcantara interior is still under development. They're having issues using the thicker material given the unbelievable tolerances of the interior components.

- LOTS OF CARBON FIBER PARTS are coming. All the standards that the aftermarket is already doing, but look for carbon fiber intake manifolds (those red things on the top of the engine) carbon fiber body panels (painted, of course) carbon fiber switchgear (not press on panels) and carbon fiber pedals.

- US Car comes in the Spring.

- No word on "Spider" availability -- but Mr. Ferrari (no relation) called it a Berlinetta convertible. wtf?

- The wheels that come on the car are quite nice. You miss the subtelty of the curves when you see them in photographs, but they are really nice. Several options for wheels are coming, probably in the next model year and probably just re-packaged BBS.

- 430 Challenge Stradale -- "If we were making a 430 based Stradale, how would you expect us to be able to remove 400 lbs from this already light weight car by using more component materials in the overall super structure by using an advanced aluminum-carbon bonding method developed 4 years ago by the F1 team?"

So, that's all for now. Andrew shot like 2GB of pics (Thank god he was around, by the way, or I'd still be lost in the subway) so look for them soon. He probably posted them in some pro-European forum or something.

:)

We're meeting in about 7 hours to go back. Should be MUCH less crowded tomorrow and hopefully, we can get some better shots, get more info, etc.

I am buying a 430.

Other Stuff:

- Alfa Romeo 8C: Good GOD! HOT HOT HOT!

- Maserati Quattroporte: More room in a 612? Very nice, though...

- Maserati MC12: Enzo who?

- Pagani Zonda Roadster: Enzo who?

- Carrera GT: Where's that Enzo?

- BMW 1 Series: Hot if it were a something OTHER than a BMW. Maybe a Skoda or a Seat? :)

- Pugeot: Makes some fun cars, but that Renault Clio mid engine hatch rocks!

- BMW M5: Way hot. The paddles felt a tad cheap. Way hot, though. i'm really mad our test car was "unavailable".

- Lada: Yep, they still make cars -- or at least boxes with wheels...

- Laraki: A Moroccan built super car? Believe it!

- Best Models: Fiat and that other girl with the painted on bra at that company that sold that stuff (I forget who... what... where...)

2. HUTCH91TR

HUTCH91TR F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    Nice work Emil!!! You do some damn fine writeups!! Don't forget to hit the Pink Paradise... I still have great memories of that club!!
    And travel safe (watch out for bics as they are called... short for Arabics).

3. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    great write-up, thanks

4. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Great to hear from you E-man, and lovely write-up. Definitely some new tidbits of information there. We'll see you state-side soon.

5. JC360

JC360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    NYC...and soon WC 2
    Full Name:
    Jon C.
    great write up... f430 sounds hot, too bad i think its fugly...
    we miss you e-money!

6. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    You better have pictures of the girl with the painted boobs!

7. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    #7 Black355, Sep 24, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ok, so day 2 was better. There was 95% fewer people so we got REALLY up close and personal with a bunch of fun stuff and I now have time to go to the Eiffel Tower or something.

Here's some more "commentary" and a few pictures. Andrew is working on the rest of the photos. I swear!

- Corvette C6: The interior is the best GM interior ever. Great quality, nice features, wonderful feel. It's got nicer components that the top end stuff from Renault, Peugot, Cadillac. Oh, and the HUD is very, very, very well done.

- Alfa Romeo C8: I'd move to Europe to own this car. Someone needs to bring these in...

- Lamborghini Murcielago Roadster: Eh. The top-cutting is not the most elegant engineering job and the boat-cover-like fasteners for the soft top make it look sort of... crappy.

- Aston Martin Vanquish S: Stunning automobile. Just beautiful inside and out. But, I'd rather have a DB9

- Aston Martin DB9 Volante: This is the aston to get. Just as stunning as the Vanquish, half the price and, in my opinion, nicer interior.

- Boxster: Actually, the quirky, cheap-ish base Porsche interior materials fit this car well. It looks nice and it feels appropriate. The modified front end and larger intakes give it a little something. The rear fender also seems tougher -- appropriate for a car like this.

- Maserati Quattroporte: They have a rear seat entertainment package that's great. Tray tables, 8" 16:9 TV with multiple inputs and a built in DVD player.

- Maserati Cambiocorsica: You know, the back of the paddles on cars equipped with the cambiocorsica have suede pads, which is a nice touch.

- Alfa Romeo Spyder: This is such a cute little car.

I think I figured out how I'm spec'ing my 430. Have you? :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Outstanding! Thanks to both Emil and Andrew!

9. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Leave the 430 there. Bring back the MC-12!
    From your pics, I have no love for the 430 at all. But it is a better synthesis of 355, 360 & Enzo. Too big & sweeping rear end for me. If you want a big a$$, the TR is nicer IMHO.

The alpha has -different-. Looks like they took the old style nose & grill & squished it on a 2000 style car. Hmmmmmmm.

Neat pic of the Hud.

Thanks for the model shots. :)

and keep the car pics coming!

Hope you enjoy Pari

10. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    IT ALL ABOUT THE MC 12 LOOK HOW BEAUTIFUL THE FRONT TRIDENT IS .............WOW

430....................... stoops!

11. JC360

JC360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    NYC...and soon WC 2
    Full Name:
    Jon C.
    ... more pics of the models please and less of the emils fugly 430.

12. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    mc12 rocks! nice pics emil

13. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I just subscribed . SO wait a bit guys and ill be posting the pics..

#~@% ! I hope its worth it ! :)

14. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  15. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  16. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
  17. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  18. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Oi ! Tudo bem ?

19. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
  20. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    Great pictures Emil. So are you going to get rid of the F355 for the 430?

21. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    sim tudo bem comigo !

22. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Otimo ! Voce deveria ter vindo para Paris com o Emil ! It was great fun !

23. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Andrew
    I was thinking flat black for my MC12. What do you think?

24. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    andrew como foi o show?

jim flat black is the move

what about carbon fiber?

25. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Hi James !

It will look absolutely beautiful in Black but i also liked your first choice ( Blue over Tan/Natural/Cuoio leather ? )

Its US legal finally ?