550 shock noises | FerrariChat

550 shock noises

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by teachdna, Sep 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. teachdna

teachdna Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2001
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Robbins
    I wonder if anyone has noticed this on their 550 (or 360).....I was going around a corner, hard, and I heard a creaking noise-not a squeak- from the front driver’s side. I thought it might be the dreaded engine mount syndrome but after getting it in the garage, I went around the corners of the car leaning hard on the shocks. They all responded fine and there are no leaks but all four corners creak when pressed down hard. None of my other cars do this.

I’m assuming Ferrari just uses a spring/shock/mount that develops a creak/squeak over the years but wanted to check with the Board and make sure that I wasn’t ignoring some problem that might grow on me and result in some failure under hard handling.

Any experiences out there?

2. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
    Early 550's had a problem with the sway bar links creaking. The only fix was to replace them with an updated part. You may want to try to isolate the noise with the help of a friend to see if that is where the noise is coming from.