308 Radiator fans | FerrariChat

308 Radiator fans

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Barnone 308, Sep 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Barnone 308

Barnone 308 Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2004
    canada
    So last night I was putting my F car away, and so out of curiosity I decided to look at my radiator fans. As I lying on the ground, I placed my hand on the fans (Engine shut off of course), and turned the right side fan with my hand. It was easy to turn. However, the left hand fan was not turning, I had to but some good muscle to turn the fan. I was thinking its seized. What do you guys think?..

Thanks

2. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Both fans should spin freely, it would seem that the motor has overheated and partially siezed.

3. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Forgot to mention, if you have to replace the motor it may be worth considering fitting a pair of more modern motors / fan blades.

Do a search as there is a lot of information in the archives

4. Barnone 308

Mar 22, 2004
    canada
    Do you have any idea on price?..

5. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Stock replacement motor approx $410 (#109826) - very expensive. You may be-able to have your old motor repaired - worth considering.

6. Barnone 308

Mar 22, 2004
    canada
    Who repairs radiator motors, I was told by a locl mechanic they cannot be rebuilt. I am not sure if thats true or not. Do you know if any reputable companies that rebuild readiator fan motors.

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Search the archives, they are rebuildable with new brushes and bearings.

The aftermarket fan kits are Hayden, IIRC.

8. Barnone 308

Mar 22, 2004
    canada
    I am not sure if I really need to go ahead and rebuild a motor that isn't being used. I removed tha air conditioning motor from my motor. I understand that one of the radiator fan motors is for the air constitioning unit. Thats the fan thats seized on my car. Its also disconnected, so I think that I should be o.kay for now. I would consider the hayden units in the future.

Thanks

9. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    Although one fan kicks on when you run the ac ( if the temp isn't hot enough for both to be on), they BOTH operate when the temp exceeds about 195 degrees. I wouldn't run it in hot weather w just one fan operating.

10. mr308

mr308 Karting

Aug 3, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Alex C
    Theres an Australian company called Davies Craig. They manufacture high quality thermo fans and other cooling equipment. I am also considering replacing my radiator fans (keeping in mind i may refit the originals) on my 79 gts. I am also considering an electronic water pump for the motor.

Prices are around AU$100 each for the fans and AU$200 for the pumps.

11. Barnone 308

Mar 22, 2004
    canada
    Thanks for the info guys,, appreciated..

12. pcelenta

pcelenta Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    they are really simple to rebuild....brushes are available from Pantera parts suppliers...it is a basic lucas fan used on a number of british cars (in particular the series III e-type)...there is a place called Coolcat that offers a performance replacement. Mine was filled with rust powder, made a ton of noise, and didn't spin so freely...rust powder was a combo of dust from the worn brushes and the inside of the housing. cleaned up everything, greased the bearings and soddered in new brushes...is good as new....cost me $50 due to the fact that I purchased an NOS Lucas brush set and holder...the Pantera guys sell the brushes that need to be filled for $15.00.

13. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    gt car parts has new fans, I replaced both of mine

14. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    It's www.coolcatcorp.com. I know the owner, Mike Frank, and he is very knowledgable about replacement fans. Very nice guy. If there is sufficient demand for a Ferrari version, he might even work on a replacement fan blade/motor combination that increases air flow significantly. I have a couple of his blades/motors on my '70 XKE and they do an amazingly good job. If you have trouble getting in contact with him, let me know and I'll give you his contact information privately.

Regards,
    Steve W.