Installing A Tubi on Testarossa | FerrariChat

Installing A Tubi on Testarossa

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Chiaro_Slag, Sep 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I just picked up a Tubi today for the TR and I am considering installing it myself with the help of a fellow F-Chatter.

Is there anything I need to know before getting started? Is it pretty obvious where the sensors & thermometer go?

Thanks to Chris A. at Ferrari of Orange County for selling me the Tubi & taking the time to show me a TR that had the exhaust off to let me know how everything works. Nice guy - He also remembered some light bulbs for the TR dome light that I was looking for months ago & gave them to me when I came in to pick up the Tubi. Thanks Chris!

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    On a US version TR Tubi there are no sensors/thermocouples (those are mounted in the cats).

Did you get a different Tubi version that replaces more than just the stock US silencer?

3. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    OK, got it, thanks Steve.

Just bolt off & bolt on then, eh?

Can you tell I'm not qualified for this job? :) Always willing to learn though.

4. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    Jerry,

I did my tubi and test pipes on my 308. Just bolts on and bolts off. Well sometimes access can make things difficult. I'm not sure about the TR. If you use some penitrating oil or WD 40 on all those muffler bolts first they will come off and go on easier. Just my 2 cents.

Good Luck
    Brent

5. Frari

Frari Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    brisbane australia
    Full Name:
    tony
    had atubi on my 87/88 testarossa euro version and i9t just bolted on , the only adjustments to be made were where the mounts were and the correct bushes washers and bolts are needed. These will all be available at normal auto shop if not provided with tubi. regards tony

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No problem Jerry -- I thought you might have a more interesting/direct connecting Tubi silencer.

But it's more like:

Raise car, bolt off, bolt off, bolt off, bolt off, bolt off, bolt on, bolt on, fix stripped aluminum riv-nut, bolt on, bolt on, bolt on, lower car

(Don't mind me -- I'm just cranky that I've still got 2 or 3 more sessions to get my TR back on the road :(...)

7. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    When mine was done, you needed to take off the rear bumper to get the exhaust off.

8. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Thanks all for the replies. Looks like there may be several F-Chatters there, so we should be able to get it done. :)

9. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    Love to see a pic of your Blue one mate, theyre quite rare especially in the UK

10. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
  11. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Turns out, the part I could have used today are new "donuts" that are on the pipes - Mine are pretty worn out.

We (Rick & Jeffrey) took the stock muffler off today - We will put the tubi one once I get some new donuts on Monday.

I started the car once with no exhaust system - Now that sounded nice! :)

12. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    When you pick up the Donuts, grab a carton of milk too, O.K.?

:)
    Rick

13. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

I'll have a cup (mug) of coffee....Thank you :)

Shamile

By the way, what about those exhaust nuts? Can they be reused again or are you replacing them.....or did new ones come with the TUBI?

14. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Not sure which nuts you are referring to, but we are using all the original parts except for the donuts.

Rick - You're the best, I'll grab you a coffee with those donuts anytime. :)