330 Seat Belts: Cam-lock, 3-pt, or what? | FerrariChat

330 Seat Belts: Cam-lock, 3-pt, or what?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Smiles, Sep 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Hi, guys.

My 330 2+2 currently has a 3-point, non-retracting seatbelt setup. I like the traditional look, as it has a chrome aircraft-style latch instead of the GM-type push-button latches. The only downside is that if I buckle up, the handbrake is out of reach.

I'm considering a retracting belt, but I hate the look of the things. (I may get one and cover the plastic housing with aluminum, the same way you would cover vise jaws.)

But I also thought I'd like to add some racing feel in the form of a real harness, or at least three points of a harness. Unfortunately, all the current 3" harnesses look bulky and way out of place in an otherwise gentlemanly looking car.

So I have a couple of questions:

1) Can you get a racing harness in traditional 2" webbing? (or is it 50mm?)
    2) What year did cam-lock harness become fairly standard? (I'd prefer if the harness looked somewhat period-correct.
    3) What would you do, or what have you done, in the same situation?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I should also add that I really like the adjustability of a real harness.

My current setup isn't ideally located (or adjusted) and hits me more in the abdomen than in the hips. That's why I'm looking for an alternative.

3. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    I've got a two point harness in mine, feels fine, looks fine, and I can reach the useless emergency brake. Only downside is reduced safety compared with three point, but its better than stock (no belts)!

Regards,

Art S.

4. jcwconsult

jcwconsult Karting

Sep 20, 2004
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Full Name:
    Jim Walker
    Manually adjusted 3 point belts are a LOT safer than lap only belts.
    If adjusted snugly, they are also safer than inertia reel belts - because you do not give up the 1"-2" of slack room that makes them more comfortable. You also do not give up another 1"-2" of safety room that happens when the reel locks in an accident ... but the belt pays out some more as it tightens the coil of material on the locked reel. You actually get melting on the nylon belt material as it pulls tight around the reel and pays out some slack in those milli-seconds in a higher speed accident.
    Inertia reels came in as an attempt to get people to wear more comfortable belts, but they are not optimum for safety. A tight, manually-adjusted belt is the best ... whether 3 or 4 or more points.
    I had one Pro-Rally rollover accident in a Volvo with 3 point manual belts and they worked just fine - quite safe. I'd rather release the emergency brake first, then buckle up.
    Regards,
    Jim Walker