Scuba Diving Skinsuits | FerrariChat

Scuba Diving Skinsuits

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Scotty, Sep 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    My wife and I are recently certified divers, and are heading to Kauii for a week in October. We would like to get skinsuits to wear alone while snorkeling, and under rental suits when diving. I would appreciate any input on brands/styles/etc.

2. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Scott, I prefer a "shorty" for warmer waters. They're more comfortable and easier to get into and out of. I don't think you're going to want to double up, as it sounds, for under the rental suits. It's overkill and will probably provide too much heat and buoyancy. I guess it depends on how much diving you plan on doing while in Hawaii, since the size of the suits is a consideration when travelling. I use my "golf club rule", which is basically that I don't travel with big items like skis, clubs, etc. unless I'll use them several times. I've rented suits in a lot of locations, and even though some aren't the freshest-smelling, it doesn't ruin the day. Perhaps rent some different styles and see which you prefer before running out and purchasing. Generally, for snorkelling I just wear a regular swim suit. The thing to be careful of if you do that is to make sure your back is protected from the sun!

3. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    In HI? I don't think you'll need rental suits. A skinsuit would be OK. Find a good local dive shop and test-fit.