360 Alarm blown (apparently) | FerrariChat

360 Alarm blown (apparently)

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Stimmers360, Sep 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Stimmers360

Stimmers360 Guest

My 360 has just come back from a service. I got the usual 3 or 4 phone calls, We have found some new work thats needs to be done, its back tyres are illegal, the front two are barely Legal, front break pads need replacing, cam belts etc,

but the alarm battery had blown, WHAT, and since when does a new battery cost £250 ! Anyone else had this problem with there's or am i being stiched up like a right kipper ?

2. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I had the alarm battery problem on my (MY'99)360, and also the (MY'99) 456, which has the same unit. It's the backup battery; so even with the battery disconnected the alarm still works. Never heard of it blowing up, but they do fail. I recall that the early units didn't recharge, but now they do (I think!). It's not vital, but you will get Trakbak/Tracker or whomever calling you whenever you move the car. Parts prices must have increased in the last couple of years since the units cost ca. £100 then, and they were both done under warranty.

3. ric355

ric355 Guest

Dec 21, 2003
    Parts prices have indeed increased recently. I was talking to the chap who serviced my car a couple of weeks ago and he said that in some cases the prices have gone up fourfold.

This is my guess, but since servicing costs for older cars at some dealers have recently gone down (due to the pressure from the independents), I imagine certain distributors are making their profits on the parts instead of the servicing. This is quite devious because, of course, the independents have to get their parts from the same distributor.

4. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    or cheaper for the older cars.......supplemented by being dearer for the newer cars that most indepentents can't service? perhaps I'm being cynical?!