Ferrari Enzo Designer | FerrariChat

Ferrari Enzo Designer

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by ferrarigirl25, Mar 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrarigirl25

ferrarigirl25 Rookie

Mar 31, 2004
    My boss, Ken Okuyama, designed the Ferrari Enzo. I wonder if he gets a free one for designing it?

2. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Do you work at the ART CENTER?

3. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Didn't you ask him yourself???

4. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    This thread has the makings of a great one! I'll stay tuned in. :)

5. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Wow, awsome...Okuyama's your boss? I, as well, have wondered how he might have been compensated for the design, perhaps with an Enzo? I know I'd want one if I drew the damn car.

Anyway, fill us in. What's the story?

Ah yes, welcome, of course, to Ferrarichat!

6. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Doesn't it though? Doesn't it? :)

7. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Well said. Some great threads lately ;)

8. Ferrari Boy

Ferrari Boy Formula 3

Oct 25, 2003
    Long Beach CA
    Full Name:
    David Couch
    Thats great ferrarigirl. Welcome to fchat! Where do you and Okuyama live? Maybe us fchaters can get you to go on a drive sometime? That is if you live is socal. I don't know, it's just a thought :).

-David

9. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Formula 3

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim
    Ken didn't get an Enzo as a compensation. I've known Ken for years, and in fact, he got to sit in the production-version Enzo for the first time in U.S. (when I invited him to Steve G.'s garage in Malibu), not in Italy.

Ken is one of the nicest people I ever got to know, and he is now back in Italy, working for Pininfarina S.p.A. again. I think he will replace Lorenzo Ramaciotti quite soon. I think when Ken does replace Lorenzo Ramaciotti, I think more and more Ferraris will look like Enzo (which we already started to see with F430).

Ken's previous works include,
    - Chevy Camaro (the last generation)
    - Chevy Cavalier
    - Chevy C5 Corvette
    - Porsche Boxster
    - Porsche 996
    - Pininfarina Rossa concept
    - Ferrari 456M (the facelift from 456 to 456M)
    - Ferrari 360 (worked as an advisor)
    - Ferrari ENZO
    - Ferrari 612
    - Ferrari F430
    - Maserati Quattroporte
    - and others...

I think he and Jay Mays (his friend from the Art Center, who designed VW Beetle, Audi TT, new Mustang, and the new Ford GT), are two of the best automotive designers of this generation.

Wish Ken all the best, and look forward to seeing more and more of his great works!

(picture below #1: it's a picture of Ken being in the production-version Enzo for the first time. He was like, "Wow, did I design the cabin this small?") :)

(picture #2: Ken at the Marconi Museum. Even Ken was amazed with Dick's car collection and memoribilias.)

10. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Patrick, next time you see Ken, can you tell him that some people think the NNO is the most beautiful thing the world has ever known...? i mean, like, hands down, no questions asked, bar none, it's the most beautiful thing existence could ever be privileged enough to witness and that we're VERY appreciative... i should get a tattoo of Ken's face under the Prancing Horse on my chest...

11. s_eric09

s_eric09 Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    George
    WOW, thanks a lot for sharing Patrick.

He has designed a truly beautiful cars.
    I've been to the marconi museum and it rules.

Are you involved in the Automotive Industry too?

George.

12. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    LMAOO!!!!

13. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Formula 3

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim

George, Glad you enjoyed my post.

Ken is the most brilliant and the nicest guy you'll ever meet. I exchanged emails with him the other day, and wrote to him about FerrariChat.com (I think he does check out this site often - HI, KEN!)

I'm not involved with the automotive industry, but just like many people on this forum, I LOVE and LIVE cars... :) especially FERRARI, my obsession. :)

14. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
  15. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Uh oh, don't let Carb know...I don't think he could handle it. Too late I guess. :D

Hi Ken, way to go designing one of the most gracefully ferocious autos of all time. A true beauty!

16. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Formula 3

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim
    Should we start a fan club for Ken Okuyama? :)

17. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Formula 3

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim
    I trying to see if we can have an event with FChatters when Ken comes out to U.S. next time.

It would be nice to have some NNOs, too.

Interested?

18. 16valves

16valves Rookie

Sep 9, 2004
    Don't let Grant Larson know Ken designed the Boxster!! Freeman might have something to say about the TT as well...

19. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    Many people work on a cars design, and of course these people use these cars as part of their portfolios, but the guy who does the original sketch is the one that usually (and should) get the credit. Of course, the designers bosses will also take credit.
    The Boxster was designed by Grant Larson, he is also responsible for the exterior of the 997. Freeman Thomas designed the TT. He and Jay Mays get credit for the New Beetle, but based on it's similarity to the TT, you may assume that Jay's role was one of project supervisor (but maybe not). Giving Jay credit for the Ford GT and Mustang is like giving Bush credit for his speeches. (Giving anyone credit for the GT, that wasn't working on it in the 60's is a bit of a joke anyway). Jay Mays may well be "one of the best automotive designers of this generation" but you need to look deeper into his past if you want to base it on cars he actually designed. As a leader, it would be nice (and good for Ford) if he would look to the future and stop bringing us the past, which has not worked out very well so far.

As for Ken, he is a great guy and I am happy to see him return to Pinninfarina.
    I met him while I was teaching at Art Center, and it was nice to see how excited he was about cars. I saw him at Concours Italiano when they showed the Rossa concept and he was so excited to see his car being shown there.

20. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    You must be kidding right, don't tell John Cafaro at GM that Ken designed the C5 or the Camaro. Grant Larson must have been really pissed about the Boxster being stolen from him. That is the problem with the Internet just because you post it, doesn't mean it is right.

21. PatrickShim

PatrickShim Formula 3

Jun 14, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Patrick Shim
    Ken DID work for GM Design center in So. Cal., and also at Porsche.

22. 16valves

16valves Rookie

Sep 9, 2004
    "HI, I'm Jay Mays. If you folks hire me here at Ford, I'll claim all designs are my own originals, regardless of who did them. And if you act now I'll even put Audi TT wheel flares on everything in the lineup!! What do you say??"

Best designer of our generation.....

"How are you doing today Mr. Creosote?"

"Better..... better bring me a bucket I think I'm going to throw-up...."

23. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    He may have worked at GM, but to credit him with the C5 and the Camaro is a little bit too much. He may have done some sketches at Porsche on the Boxster as well, but the main guy behind the C5 was Cafaro (excellent book on the subject is All Corvettes are Red, Ken's name does not appear in the book) and Grant Larson on the Boxster.

Granted Ken did an excellent job on the Enzo, but in my opinion the 612 is no where near as graceful as the 456.

24. donoe

donoe Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    BHANE
    Wow, nice to see the words Art Center College of Design in this thread hehe... I was an intro student there taking classes in Transportation Design. Many alumni grads from Art Center are top automotive designers, I say 90% in the industry. My instructor was Daniel Vehse and also worked with Jay Mays. Dan the interior designer for the VW BUG, also the Audi TT, he was one of my coolest instructors.

When I read that the Enzo designer was an Art Center Alumni it made me smile :) My dreams of becoming an automotive designer didnt go thru... oh well... Luckily I found my way back in the automotive industry again Yay!!! Im now in the automotive aftermarket business and luckily to be surronded by exotic cars :)

*I wonder how my Art Center classmates doing now? For those who graduated, im sure they are designing for major automotive companies and paying off their student loans hehe...

25. 20C4S

20C4S Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2003
    hey, Dan was one of my teacher when i took SAT class there. u might be my classmate then. glad we're in the same business now ;)