SF-area 355/360 owners in a sharing mood? | FerrariChat

SF-area 355/360 owners in a sharing mood?

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by lukek, Sep 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I am thinking about a 355 or a 360, but do not want to go in blind. Is there anybody out there who has wandered about the vintage experience (1963 3.0 litre V12)? IOW< You can drive mine, if I can drive yours. We are talking 10 minutes, I can buy lunch on the peninsula, and you can be assured of respect for your machinery (4/10s kind of driving).
    I realize that to some people, this is like borrowing underwear, but....I wanted to post before going the dealer route.
    My car should be done with the cooling upgrades at the end of this week....
    PM me.

thx
    luke

2. storminnormin

storminnormin Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2002
    California
    Luke,
    If you don't mind waiting until mid october, I would love to take up your offer. I have a blue 2000 6-spd coupe.
    Norm

3. htran

htran Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Tracy(NoCa)/HB(SoCa)
    Full Name:
    P Quach
    Luke, check your PM. Henry

4. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    i'd be happy to swap if you'd like to try my 355.

5. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    PMs incoming.

What a pleasant bunch of fellow mavens...
    :)

6. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Anytime, Luke. Shoot me a PM with your schedule for the rest of the week and we should be able to put something together.

Gary
    2004 6-spd Modena

7. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Luke, knowing some of our local group, I think they may have a huge problem with this kind of proposition. I really don't think it will work out at *only* 4/10ths! After all, isn't at least 7/10ths nessicary to burn out all that carbon? ;)

Best!
    Ben.

8. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Luke,

I agree with Ben, I don't think you can drive the 355 at 4/10's I'll let you go to 7 or 8, you decide what you need to compare. I know that if I was sitting next to you and you're driving at 4/10's I'd ask you to step it up a little bit.

I'm just excited to sit in a 250 gte much less drive one. As you know I have a serious vintage bug. This would be a serious highlight for me. Henry let me drive his Dino and the grin on my face was priceless. Also if you want to try a 550 one will be available, I believe.

PS. you can drive my car, but there's no way I'll let you wear my underwear. :)

9. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    re: underwear: I feel the same way. To quote Seinfeld:
    "I do not want my boys where your boys have been"

Mine is happy driven at 7/10s. Otherwise, that special V12 tingle does not happen at all. As long it is warmed up, and one respects the clutch lining, the music crescendo comes on at 6K RPM.
    I did sample Dan's 550 (thank you, Dan), but I like the idea of having a vintage V12 2+2 next to a modern, mid engine V8. This goal will be reached before I turn 40, which, sadly, is not that long from now.

thx again
    luke

10. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I do not know what I was thinking. It is not like I was going to NOT like it..??!!!!

Gary;

Thank you. It was a thrill ! There is something special about that steering feel when the engine is behind you. And the Capristo is awesome. The one thing that I cannot reconcile is the working air conditioning system in a Ferrari. It is part of my larger quandary, really. If I had a modern one, I would drive it more often, but it would not be as visceral, or as unique. I will just have to own both in the near future.
    I hope I did not infect you with the vintage v12 bug in too serious of a way.

11. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Wow, that is some car, Luke! Quite a special experience, and to think it is more than 40 years old, unbelievable. I am going to have to do some serious thinking, and a sale job on my wife!

Gary