Non ethanol-containing gas ? | FerrariChat

Non ethanol-containing gas ?

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by TOM B, Sep 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Well, it finally happened. The Exxon station that I switched to a few months ago now has ethanol in the gas. It turns out this is now the law throught NYS. When they decided that MTBE was bad for our health they went to the next cheapest octane booster.....ethanol.

What is the situation in PA? I can be in Matamoras in 20min. How about NJ? Clyde? Do the pumps in say, Sussex county have the white sticker that says "Contains 10% ethanol" ? I know that all the stations in and around NYC have contained it for a few years now but I was always able to avoid it up in my neck of the woods.

Ethanol is a bad actor in older cars' fuel systems. I really want to avoid it and will drive a little farther to do so. Thanks.

2. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Minor correction: Ethanol and MTBE aren't octane boosters, they're oxygenates, meaning they essentially allow you to inject oxygen into the engine to supplement that in the intake air. Helps ensure complete combustion...
    PROBABLY not the end of the world for your car's fuel system, but I agree with the principle of avoiding it, as long as it's not too much of a hassle. Plus, it'll take about 2-3% off your fuel economy!

3. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley

Don,
    Read this thread. It explains my fears in more detail.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11215&highlight=ethanol+gas

4. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I’m sorry. This might all be in my head, but some time ago I stopped for gas in NYS on the way back from LRP. Just after I finished pumping the gas I noticed the 10% ETHENOL sign. The car ran like crap. After about two weeks I put in Redline fuel system cleaner and she seemed to run better. Go figure. When the tank was empty I filled up with Sunoco Ultra 94 and never looked back. To answer your question; I don't think we have Ethanol added here in Jersey.

5. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I haven't seen it, but I'll keep my eyes open from now on.

6. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Thanks.

7. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    This is not good news. Next thing you know, we'll all be driving TDIs. We should do an online directory of "good gas" for high octane and ethanol free fuel availability. Maybe we could start a chain for performance enthusiasts for "Race Gas". Hmm...

8. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark