Infrared Non-Contact Pyrometers | FerrariChat

Infrared Non-Contact Pyrometers

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Scotty, Sep 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I'm interested in one of the gadgets. Anyone have any experience/brand suggestions, etc? I got a new Sears catalog today, they have one for 40 bucks that has the sam accuracy range as the more expensive units.

2. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I don't see it on their site. Whats the stock number?

3. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    The one that is 39.99 is model number 3482327 (notes that is was 49.99 in the 2004 Tool Book), and is on page 41. The same catalog (on page 57) lists two other units, listing at 149.99 (-59 to 1500 degree F range) and 99.99 (-58 to 1000 degree F range). Unless I'm interested in exhaust temps, can't imagine why I would need more than 500 degrees F at the high end.

4. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Never know, especially with rear brakes that aren't properly cooled at the track, you can see 500+ back there.

Some engineers say the IR pyrometers are not precise enough. In my toying with one unit, my feelings are, the data is at least consistently off, if it is off. So I could see differences in little cooling changes/pad swaps and brake kits.

5. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    These devices are highly inaccurate unless you understand how they work. First, the ones with the red dots do not measure only that spot. There is an enlarging cone of measurement, something as: 3 ft. from the device the cone may be 1 ft. wide, for 6 ft. away the cone may be 2 feet wide. It is an average over that whole distance. It is similar to the way a center weighted camera spot light meter works.

Next is the emissivity of the substance being measured. The better measuring devices have adjustments for emissivity from 0 - 1. If you measure a shiney metal piece, then the same piece next to it but painted flat black, the different in temperature may be off by a factor of 50 percent or more.

Mine costed $400 and you must be able to plug in the emissivity by knowing the exact type of metal you are measuring. It is not easy.
    Mine has a separate hand held small probe that can be placed directly next to the area to be measured. It deas not have to touch but it must be close for a more accurate measurement.

aehaas

6. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    They're not worth a damn to check tire temps, you have to have a probe type. It's more of a novelty of good marketing. They are not good for discs either, cause don't read high enough temp unless you buy one that goes to 1000' that runs about $250.

We use probe type only for tire temps, as accuracy is absolutely critical in proper chassis setup.

However, the IR guns are good for quickly finding a cylinder not firing properly by measuring right at exhaust port.

If you are looking for a high quality unit, I recommend buying a 50692 from Longacre. http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/item.asp?id=188&catid=7

7. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott

How come these great ideas seem so simple after I hear them, but I have never thought of them myself?