348 Targa Top squeak | FerrariChat

348 Targa Top squeak

Discussion in '348/355' started by rivee, Sep 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    What do you do about the targa tops squeaking against the rubber weatherstripping? It does it on my 348. It's pretty annoying.

Is there a dressing of sorts you can put on it to stop this?

2. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    2 things that I have heard/done that worked. Armor all the weather stripping or use baby powder. Sprinkle the baby powder on a rag first then apply it on the weather stripping.

3. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Use a little silicon spray on the rubber, it worked on my ex-308 :)

4. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Are you sure the squeek is from the targa top? I had an annoying squeek which turned out to be from the front trunk lid latches. I could reach way out in front while driving and push down on the corner of the lid, and it would stop. I tried adjusting them (the latches) a bit tighter, but the best solution (for me) is just to spray them with WD40 about once a month. I hardly ever drive my 348 with the targa top installed, but I don't think I've ever heard it squeek. I suppose there must be a little bit of flexibility up there on the ts.

5. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    It's definately the rubber against the top. It makes the noise all across the front top. There is another product I've heard of called gummipfrage (sp) or something like that. Anybody heard of it?

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Silicone spray is the quickest, easiest to obtain product (but hard to control, and so the spray goes all over). The other choices are the BMW "Gummi-Pfledge" which is a jellied form of glycerin (you can obtain glycerin in it's liquid form at most drug stores, but I found that it was not long lasting in use, and understand why BMW offers it in jelly form), or the new BMW recommended product (which now supercedes Gummi-Pfledge), called Carbaflo. I tube of Gummi-Pfledge sells for $10. A tiny tube of Carbaflo sells for $50(!). The Carbaflo is claimed to be a "one time" application, thus should not require reapplication...so far, it seems to live up to that claim (on my BMW).

BMW has had a hell of a time with door seals on the E39 5 series, and had tried numerous ways to cure these ills....

More info on Carbaflo: http://www.carbaflo.com/fs.htm

I have no idea where you would get carbaflo except from the BMW dealer...You might check around.

7. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    A light coating of Spam Jelly will cure the squeeks. 2.69 a can.

The remaining problem is keeping the cats from licking it off.

8. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John

LOL

That's not hard with my guard cat "Tiny" around