IAM course | FerrariChat

IAM course

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Modificata, Sep 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Can anyone recommend a good place for a Institute of Advance Motorists courses around the NW London or SE England areas. I've not had any formal training to better understand the handling of my car, and its probably a good idea that I do.

Cheers.A

2. LittleBro

LittleBro Formula 3

Jul 7, 2004
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Woody
    I started an IAM course a few years back with the expectations that it would teach me how to handle my car, but IAM is more about observations and aniticipation what is just around the corner.

A very worthwhile course but I dont think you'll learn how to hold a tail slide or what do to if it all gets a bit wobbly on a roundabout.

3. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    OK thanks. What im looking for a course that will improve my handling skills. Any suggestions?

4. LittleBro

LittleBro Formula 3

Jul 7, 2004
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Woody
    There was a series of articles in Evo where Jethro Bovingdon was sent on a hi-performance driver training program over a period of weeks run by an ex-racing driver. I forget the name but I'm pretty sure they advertise in Evo.

5. simon355

simon355 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2003
    W.Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Simon George
    I have spoken to a few people who have been on the courses run by the ex Police advanced drivers (www.ridedrive.co.uk) and everyone said they are superb. They teach you in your own car and there is a variety of different courses inc skidpan etc. I'm going to book the Lambo on it soon, from memory theres a good course for £300

6. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Just checked out their site. Seems pretty good, lots of courses to choose from. I think the £300 course will be more what i need.

Any other suggestions?

7. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    i am near iam test, not what you are after adnaan

8. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    The course featured was John Lyon's High Performance Course- see www.hpc2001.co.uk

I have done it; it is an intense 2 days based on both on road and proving ground/circuits, but great fun and a real eye opener. It is expensive, but you will learn alot about not only your car's handling, but also about fast, but safe road driving.

I believe he also does shorter courses (inc IAM) if you don't want to go the whole hog.

Robert.

9. Babylon

Babylon Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Adnaan,

You should come on the next day out with the S Wales FOC, you'll save around £300 and have more fun! :0)

Mike

10. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Thanks guys. I think IAM is not what Im looking for, but got a couple of leads now. Something for spring I think. No point in doing it now with winter coming.

11. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    How u doing Mike? Am I correct in thinking you've sold your Mondial? Only I saw it for sale again!

12. paul360m

paul360m Karting

Jan 8, 2004
    Nr Heathrow
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hi Adnaan

A couple of other recommendations for you - Don Palmer runs a variety of drving courses - i went on one a few months ago, held at Bruntingthorpe Proving Ground & it was excellent - very good instructor with a unique style but you will certainly be understanding the dynamics of the car (& your own) by the end of the day. Think his www is www.drivingdevelopments.com

Another guy who is fantastic is Andrew Walsh - does a lot for the Lotus owning community & he too runs a variety of one day 'handling' courses, mainly held at North Weald. You can check him out on www.carlimits.com or www.1stlotus.com (i think!)

Now is a good time to do it as there is a good chance of wet weather which will really help your handling skills!

if you need any further info pls pm me

Cheers

Paul