550 battery shut off switch | FerrariChat

550 battery shut off switch

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Andiamo, Sep 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Andiamo

Andiamo Rookie

Sep 20, 2004
    Palm Harbor, Florida
    Full Name:
    Al Fontaine
    There is a battery shut-off switch under the hood of the 550. I wanted to know if anyone uses this on a regular basis. I only use my 550 on weekends so it sits all week in the garage. Should I use this switch or is it ok to sit for a week? I have a lotus esprit that I have to disengage the battery or it will be dead by the end of the week. However, this is the problem with an esprit, the battery always goes dead.

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    never had a single problem with the car sitting for a few weeks.

if your battery is already near the end of its life, maybe, but not otherwise.

doody.

3. Andiamo

Andiamo Rookie

Sep 20, 2004
    Palm Harbor, Florida
    Full Name:
    Al Fontaine
    Thanks Doody. The battery is brand new but the security system is constantly running. I wasn't sure how much of a drain it is. Have you used the switch or would you if you were gone a few weeks?

4. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    i have never once used the battery switch. for winter storage i have a trickle charger.

doody.

5. teachdna

teachdna Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2001
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Robbins
    Never used the cut-off switch. The battery has been fine except for one winter when it was truly frigid outside for an extended period and with salt on the road I wasn't able to drive for 3-4 weeks. At that point the battery went dead from being fully charged. After that I got a battery minder and haven't worried about it since. If I know I'm not going to drive the car for more than week (snow or salt on the road) I hook up the battery minder.

6. 550

550 Rookie

Sep 19, 2003
    Same here

7. mike550

mike550 Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2003
    California - LA & SF
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    Andiamo, I use the battery shut off if the car is going to sit for more than 2 - 3 days. If not my battery dies (and it is brand new). I must have a problem - but have not looked into the cause yet. I also have a trickle charger which I occassionally hook up.

Mike

edit - and Andiamo - great purchase! congratulations